Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (York County)

Default York County LTCF now credit card style

Small convenience, but my wife and I just picked up our LTCFs from the York County Sheriff's office today and they are now credit card style that fit perfectly into our wallets. Unlike the previous laminated paper that I had to trim down to cram into my wallet.

On another note, it was fun to watch an Eminem wannabe and his cracked out lady companion argue in ghetto jibberish in front of the courthouse.

(York County)

Default Re: York County LTCF now credit card style

Good to know, although I'm still 2 years away from my renewal.
    While many claim to support the right, precious few support the practice.

(Dauphin County)

Quote Originally Posted by bluehen59 View Post
    Small convenience, but my wife and I just picked up our LTCFs from the York County Sheriff's office today and they are now credit card style that fit perfectly into our wallets. Unlike the previous laminated paper that I had to trim down to cram into my wallet.
    This is unlawful. "The commissioner may establish form specifications and regulations, consistent with section 6109(c) (relating to licenses), with respect to uniform forms control, including the following: (1) License to carry firearms." 18 Pa.C.S. 6124. "The license to carry a firearm shall be designed to be uniform throughout this Commonwealth and shall be in a form prescribed by the Pennsylvania State Police." 18 Pa.C.S. 6109(e)(3). "The Pennsylvania license to carry firearms (as defined in section 6102 of the act (relating to definitions)) form, shall be constructed as a three-part form, 3 inches by 5 3/8 inches in dimension, on white paper. The issuing authorities, that is, county sheriff or a chief of police for a city of the first class, shall utilize the form as prescribed by the State Police. " 37 Pa.Code. 33.115(a).

"This chapter is promulgated under the authority contained in the act, and will be prosecuted as a violation of the act." 37 Pa.Code. 33.122. "Except as otherwise specifically provided, an offense under this subchapter constitutes a misdemeanor of the first degree." 18 Pa.C.S. 6119.

Apparently when the new statewide "uniform system" went into place last year, they forgot change that part of the PA code describing the license itself.

(Dauphin County)

Quote Originally Posted by HiredGoon View Post
    Apparently when the new statewide "uniform system" went into place last year, they forgot change that part of the PA code describing the license itself.
    The PCCD was never given the power to set the specification for, and promulgate, the form of the license to carry firearms. However, 6109(h)(2) says that "The Pennsylvania Commission on Crime and Delinquency shall implement . . . a system in conjunction with the Pennsylvania State Police . . . to standardize and modernize the process of issuing licenses to carry firearms."

Government is a series of rules and processes, not just a one off rule and a bunch of people scrambling to do it. The legislature says the PSP makes the form and the PCCD makes a system, then the PSP prescribes the new form, etc. I think the PSP was just remiss in its duties, or the issuing authorities are simply taking liberties that they always have.

Of course, these types of people only care about what the law actually says when they're busy trying to use it to screw other people over, not when they have a personal responsibility to it.

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by MDJschool View Post
    The PCCD was never given the power to set the specification for, and promulgate, the form of the license to carry firearms. However, 6109(h)(2) says that "The Pennsylvania Commission on Crime and Delinquency shall implement . . . a system in conjunction with the Pennsylvania State Police . . . to standardize and modernize the process of issuing licenses to carry firearms."

Government is a series of rules and processes, not just a one off rule and a bunch of people scrambling to do it. The legislature says the PSP makes the form and the PCCD makes a system, then the PSP prescribes the new form, etc. I think the PSP was just remiss in its duties, or the issuing authorities are simply taking liberties that they always have.

Of course, these types of people only care about what the law actually says when they're busy trying to use it to screw other people over, not when they have a personal responsibility to it.
    The PSP has regulated the new form.

Here: http://andrewshemo.com/pafoa/PSP%20R...02010-0401.pdf

Look for the page highlighting SP 4-129 (10-2008)

I'm positive a Sheriff Deputy Training document describes it in more detail as well, but I have to go looking for that.

(Dauphin County)

Quote Originally Posted by IronSight View Post
    The PSP has regulated the new form.
    What? Nothing in that RTK response indicates the promulgation of new regulations. It just reminds me of sheriffs looking in the wrong place for advice and idiots at the PSP making conclusions that they not allowed to make. Even the excerpted regulations in the RTK response show the existing regulations. The Commonwealth Documents Law and Regulatory Review Act require the rigorous regulations promulgation process which includes notice through the Pennsylvania Bulletin. I cannot find any new regulations there, and of course we cannot see them in the Pa. Code. None of those letters bind us, we certainly weren't party to them, and if we're not ending up with licenses by law, we may not be ending up with them at all.

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by MDJschool View Post
    What? Nothing in that RTK response indicates the promulgation of new regulations. It just reminds me of sheriffs looking in the wrong place for advice and idiots at the PSP making conclusions that they not allowed to make. Even the excerpted regulations in the RTK response show the existing regulations. The Commonwealth Documents Law and Regulatory Review Act require the rigorous regulations promulgation process which includes notice through the Pennsylvania Bulletin. I cannot find any new regulations there, and of course we cannot see them in the Pa. Code. None of those letters bind us, we certainly weren't party to them, and if we're not ending up with licenses by law, we may not be ending up with them at all.
    Look, I know quite well that the PSP has a habit of not doing things by the book. If you want an exact copy of their regulations outlining the new license go ahead and send a right-to-know request for it.

I know nothing about the CDLRRA, for starters, so if this new license regulation is being implemented improperly it would help if you could outline the steps that would need to be taken. I can forward that information directly to some people (who shall remain nameless) that could potentially take direct action on it.

IronSight... in reading the RTK request, I see it does not mention what size the new LTCF should be. And it seems like it still should be the 3" x 5 3/8" that is in the current code. And the new ones are smaller than that, aren't they?

I won't get my new one until later this year when renewing.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by HiredGoon View Post
    IronSight... in reading the RTK request, I see it does not mention what size the new LTCF should be. And it seems like it still should be the 3" x 5 3/8" that is in the current code. And the new ones are smaller than that, aren't they?

I won't get my new one until later this year when renewing.
    I have one of the new ones, same size as my last one, but a lot flimsier. The new one is a bendable piece of laminated paper, folded over to make a front and back. It looks identical (except the size) to the one shown in the RTK form(s) near the end. The old card was laid out differently and was more like a drivers license in material, plus the old one did not have a 24 hour number to call. IMHO the new lay out is better and the old material to make the card was better.

New card on the right. It's a couple hairs smaller than my Drivers license.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast