Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Cumberland County)

Default Pennsylvania Instant Check System (PICS)

Do they keep records of PICS approvals/denials?

If so, does that have any effect on future purchases?

Can a record of a PICS denial cause potential problems with future purchases?

(Centre County)

Default Re: Pennsylvania Instant Check System (PICS)

Yes

Not necessarily

Not necessarily

When A PICS is done on you, you are identified by your DL or other ID. The approval or denial number is tied to that. Remember, PICS is used anytime you try to purchase any firearm AT A FFL. If you buy a long gun FTF private sale, no background check is done. All handgun transfers have to go through a FFL or Sheriff (with a few exceptions as noted many times on this forum) so the PICS comes into play.

You can be approved and a year later (or 2 hours later) you might do something that will cause you to be denied the next time you try to purchase.

You can be denied, do the challenge form and find out what caused the denial and get it cleared up (record expunged, a pardon, wrong person, etc.) and then your record could be cleared for you to purchase.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Jefferson County)

In addition to above:

You can be approved now, but delayed(in research) or denied later for a future purchase even though you've had absolutely no changes to your criminal history. ...sometimes it depends on what the system and/or operator sees a flag on, and how your name or physical description matches another person.

I've been denied once(reversed) and delayed a number of times. The delays I've had have lasted as little as a couple minutes(having the FFL run out to the parking lot to let me know I was OK) on up to a week and a half. Most times my calls go to an operator. Occasionally they are instant, not often.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by BillD62 View Post
    They do keep records and it can affect future purchases. I was denied my LTCF in 1999 but got a reversal letter allowing me to get it. A while later I tried to buy a gun and was denied.

When I checked into it they (PICS) told me I needed to present the reversal letter each time I purchase a gun or re-up the LTCF so PICS can reference it when doing the background check. I could not find the letter and the officer I spoke with provided me with a copy, which now stays in my safe.

Not sure why the record can not be permanently fixed so I do not need the letter.

Bill
    Can't remember what its called off the top of my head---something like a personal id number or something that you should be issued upon the PICS appeal leading to approval and there is a space for it on the 4473 and is to be told to the PICS operator when called in, to avoid any future issues.

(Centre County)

Quote Originally Posted by BillD62 View Post
    Not sure why the record can not be permanently fixed so I do not need the letter.

Bill
    If you could find out what it was that caused the initial denial (later reversed) then you could look into how to get it out of your records. It could be something buried deep in your records that none the less raises a flag during the automated checks. Once you find what it was, then the hard part is to figure out how to get it erased from all your records.

In the mean time, just have the number from the reversal letter handy when you purchase a gun. Be sure to tell the sales person so that who ever has to call PICS doesn't have to run back and forth asking you questions.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member