Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Berks County)

Default Finally got my first gun!

Well, I finally pulled the trigger (haha) and bought my first handgun today! I was debating between a m&p9 and a g19 if any of you saw my previous thread. Well I went to the handgunner in topton and had the most pleasurable experience buying something that Ive ever had! I ended up becoming a proud owner of a used smith 686-2 4" that came in a hour before I got there! The guys in that store are awesome. The price was great too, only $429.00!! I can't wait to pick it up on Friday!

(Cumberland County)

Default Re: Finally got my first gun!

Very, very nice. I'm jealous. Excellent choice for a first gun. Excellent choice period. Stock up on .38.
    Selling off a a sizeable Spyderco collection here

(Chester County)

Excellent choice! My first handgun was a SW 28-2 4", essentially an older version of the gun you bought. The weight of these pistols is perfect to offset the kick of the .357 round and the 4" barrel isn't as awkward as some of the longer barrels but still long enough for 15yd+ target shooting should you wish to do any.

And as rwb said, .38 special is considerably cheaper than. 357 magnum and can be fired out revolvers designed for. 357 (not the other way around though). When I take my SW to the range I fire mostly .38 for fun and cost. That being said if you plan on using this gun for defense in .357 make sure to practice with that round as well, the ballistics are a bit different.

(Warren County)

Thumbs up Re: Finally got my first gun!

Great choice, your gonna love it! I love mine! We expect pictures and a range report once get it,

QUOTE=goose585;1917799]Well, I finally pulled the trigger (haha) and bought my first handgun today! I was debating between a m&p9 and a g19 if any of you saw my previous thread. Well I went to the handgunner in topton and had the most pleasurable experience buying something that Ive ever had! I ended up becoming a proud owner of a used smith 686-2 4" that came in a hour before I got there! The guys in that store are awesome. The price was great too, only $429.00!! I can't wait to pick it up on Friday![/QUOTE]
    Tim , USAF Ret.

(Tioga County)

Certainly a big departure from your original idea. What changed your mind?

I think you'll enjoy the revolver as much as the autoloader. The 686 is a nice platform and will give you years of good service.

Oh, if you haven't done so already, get your LTCF.

--Phil
    Last edited by PhilB; March 1st, 2012 at 08:39 AM. Reason: Columbo moment

If you shoot mainly .38 Spl through this, as was suggested - and with which I agree, make sure that you clean the chambers in the cylinder when switching to .357 mag. Because the .38 Spl case is shorter, you will get debris (carbon, unburned powder, copper, lead) build-up on the shoulder in the chamber - which is located based on the length of the .357 case. This will prevent sticking on extraction and the possibility of pressure spikes.

Great choice for a first gun and Randy (at the Handgunner) is a good guy.

Adios,

Pizza Bob
    NRA Benefactor Member

(Chester County)

Congratulations and good choice. I am looking at the M&P9 very closely myself.
    It's called "WORK" for a reason, they wouldn't pay you for it if it was fun.

(Berks County)

I chose to go with the 686 because that was going to be my next purchase anyway after getting the g19 or m&p, also I just think it looks B.A. I held both m&p and glock and they both felt great in the hand but I was just too undecided. But now I think I'm going to get the glock next because of I don't I'm going to have that voice in the back of my head nagging me for it. Also what should I use to clean it, store it, and any recommended accessories for it. Thanks for the help and responses. Pictures to come this weekend!

(Monroe County)

Good job. Enjoy.

(Lehigh County)

Randy sells cleaning kits that will clean the 357/9MM. They are less then 15 bucks 11.95 i think. Also if you are planning on getting more guns of different calibers you could get something like this http://www.amazon.com/Allen-Company-...0627731&sr=8-4 that would cover just about anything you might buy in the future.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast