Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Lawrence County)

Default 1911 upgrades for para gi expert

So, I'm finally getting around to upgrading parts to my para gi expert 1911. I've sat on this gun for a better part of two years with the intention of customizing it. I'm taking the gun down in a couple weeks to duracoat the finish(paras finish is nothing short of awful) I figured while I have it down, I may as well start installing new bits and pieces and I'm looking to you guys for suggestions on what to buy(or not buy)

Looking to change out the trigger, grip safety, mainspring housing, hammer, extended slide stop, and a extended safety.

Yikes, I probably should have just bought something with all this stuff stock! But, I wanted to make a 1911 a labor of love and intend to do this all myself. Now, I've never done any of this kind of work before but I figured whats the worse that can happen? I'll have a dead gun in a shoe box. lol

(Lawrence County)

Default Re: 1911 upgrades for para gi expert

Hold off on the refinish before you install the parts. Some beavertail safeties require cutting the frame.

Everything you listed is relatively easy save for the grip safety, but that's not bad with a jig from Brownells and matching safety. I'd get a Wilson or Brown.

I'd get a whole trigger group from Brazos Custom.

Wilson or Brown thumb safety.

I like the SVI triggers with removeable inserts, but any well fitted trigger should be fine.

Lycanselftaughtaswellthrope

I taught Chuck Norris to bump-fire.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Bturna View Post
    So, I'm finally getting around to upgrading parts to my para gi expert 1911. I've sat on this gun for a better part of two years with the intention of customizing it. I'm taking the gun down in a couple weeks to duracoat the finish(paras finish is nothing short of awful) I figured while I have it down, I may as well start installing new bits and pieces and I'm looking to you guys for suggestions on what to buy(or not buy)

Looking to change out the trigger, grip safety, mainspring housing, hammer, extended slide stop, and a extended safety.

Yikes, I probably should have just bought something with all this stuff stock! But, I wanted to make a 1911 a labor of love and intend to do this all myself. Now, I've never done any of this kind of work before but I figured whats the worse that can happen? I'll have a dead gun in a shoe box. lol
    Are you planning on tightening up the rails yourself as well then?

You might consider a Jerry Kuhnhausen book on the .45 as well, he is the goto gunsmith for all things colt .45, its a good read before you start.

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=1...T-45-AUTOMATIC

Any new thumb safety will have to be fitted. If the sear is changed with the hammer, the thumb safety will probably require either refitting or replacement.

(Jefferson County)

As mentioned above, there may be some fitting needing done.

I cant tell from the pic at the link below, but unless you get a grip safety fit specifically to the GI Expert frame - you may have to do the proper radius cut on the receiver to match whatever grip safety you get. Doing it without a jig requires skill and patience. And even doing it with a jig still runs the risk of F'n up your receiver. Then you'll need to refinish that radius cut.

Thumb safeties need to be properly fit as well.

exhibit for the OP's model.
    http://www.para-usa.com/new/product_...arge.php?id=73
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Lawrence County)

Yeah, I figured I'm gonna have to fit everything properly. I figured I'll give it a shot. I have a weird knack where I can just do stuff lol. I have fun with it. I was more or less getting a feel for what quality parts I should use. Today I detailed stripped my gun to get a feel for how everything goes together. While I was in there, I fixed my sear spring so my grip safety actually works again.