Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Lehigh County)

Default reloading blanks?

is it possible to load/reload blanks?
    i do have some 7.62x51 blanks, should i keep the shells after firing? i also need some 7.62x39 blanks. is it possible to turn a regular shell into a blank?
    is it easier just to buy blanks? sitting here at work, looking up blanks and the idea popped into my head. thanks for any input.

(Jefferson County)

Default Re: reloading blanks?

Its possible, but usually blank "brass" is thinner than standard projectile brass. (thus why you never use blank brass for reloading projectiles in them).

You can turn standard brass into blanks, but you may have to anneal the necks to make a proper crimp, and for it to fireform properly.

As for powder loads - no clue as to what kind of charge you should use.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

Chambersburg PA (Pure Appalachia), Pennsylvania
    (Franklin County)

I have made realistic 38SPL blanks by filling the case with FFFg black powder and gluing a thin cardboard wad in the case mouth. Dirty as the dickens, however, and the revolver had to be water-cleaned to prevent fouling and rust. But a cylinder-full kept my father-in-law amused, right up to the last round.

Flash
    "The life unexamined is not worth living." ....... Socrates

The 7.62x39 blanks I've seen use extended brass which is then crimped so it will actually feed. The extra brass past the neck forms somewhat of a bullet shape.

This is a good question. I've always kinda wondered about loading blanks myself for new years, 4th of July, and just plain horsing around at the range. Would they cycle the action in a semi-auto. Hopefully some folks with more experience on the subject will chime in.

(Northampton County)

Most of my military 5.56 blanks look like rubber bands after they are fired. All flattened, bent, and twisted.

(Blair County)

Quote Originally Posted by brownman View Post
    Would they cycle the action in a semi-auto. Hopefully some folks with more experience on the subject will chime in.
    Not without a blank firing adapter.
    The resident Saiga snob
    "You will never leave Harlan alive..."

(Lehigh County)

after doing some research, i found that blanks will foul out your firearm very quickly, very dirty to shoot. i also found 7.62x51 for $5 for 50 of them $7 for 7.62x39. So cost wise, is not worth it. i am going to start playing with grenade launchers on varios rifles and just wanted a few rounds to do this. i bought 2 22mm grenades (fakes of course) to test with. i wil try them on a fal, sks and ar15. i found the stabilizing spring for the ar at sarco. after this my next project is the 37mm launcher. looking at the 9" spikes for that one.

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by brownman View Post
    This is a good question. I've always kinda wondered about loading blanks myself for new years, 4th of July, and just plain horsing around at the range. Would they cycle the action in a semi-auto. Hopefully some folks with more experience on the subject will chime in.
    As scoutjoe mentioned - not without a blank firing adapter. Some blank firing adapter are specialized muzzle attachments, some attach to the flashhider/comp, and some are just a plugged barrel.

Semi-auto's need either recoil or gas pressure to cycle the gun. Without a bullet there is virtually no recoil. Without some constriction beyond the gas port there is virtually no pressure.

A blank firing adapter will "plug up" the bore to simulate recoil and to raise barrel pressure. The plug will have a small hole in the end to allow bleed-off of pressure, giving the desired report(the bang).

If you watch tv/movies closely enough on semiauto guns you can often see the very small bleed-off hole in the muzzle of the guns.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

There is a thread on AR15.com where a guy measured and weighed prepped blank cases and found they were similar to regular cases. He loaded them and fired them and, I believe, came to the conclusion they were ok to reload.
    Last edited by Sheldon; March 10th, 2012 at 02:16 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast