Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Erie County)

Default question about pic denial

I went to try to transfer a gun today and the pic system declined me. The only trouble ive ever been in was an assault charge when i was 15 or 16. I did a year of probabtion and the judge said as long as i did probation that when i turned 18 my record would be expunged.

Would this prevent me from owning a firearm since it should have been expunged. and if not is it worth filing the challenge. my friend suggested i should apply for a ltcw to see if that declines me. what do you guys think?

(Fulton County)

Default Re: question about pic denial

Quote Originally Posted by nrodgers View Post
    my friend suggested i should apply for a ltcw to see if that declines me. what do you guys think?
    I think that if you failed a PICS check you're not going to get approved for an LTCF either and it would be a bad idea to try.

I have heard that with many of these records that are supposed to be expunged what really happens is that when you turn 18 it's now possible to have it expunged. Nothing actually happens until you take steps to have the charge removed from your record. Also sometimes the paperwork just doesn't get done through perfectly normal bureaucratic incompetence.

If I were you I'd make some calls about making sure your record is clean and if it's not start asking what you need to do to get it made so. Sounds like something you should be able to clear up easily enough.

(Erie County)

Quote Originally Posted by jack.s View Post
    I think that if you failed a PICS check you're not going to get approved for an LTCF either and it would be a bad idea to try.

I have heard that with many of these records that are supposed to be expunged what really happens is that when you turn 18 it's now possible to have it expunged. Nothing actually happens until you take steps to have the charge removed from your record. Also sometimes the paperwork just doesn't get done through perfectly normal bureaucratic incompetence.

If I were you I'd make some calls about making sure your record is clean and if it's not start asking what you need to do to get it made so. Sounds like something you should be able to clear up easily enough.
    who would i be able to call to make sure my record is clean though? I did one of those background checks on myself online and it came back clean not sure how reliable that is though.

(Delaware County)

Did you get a reason for the denial? I thought, once denied, you were to be given the reason for denial.

FYI, getting a LTCF has a few more checks in place than buying a gun. It is possible to be able to buy a gun and be denied a LTCF but very unlikely the other way around.

(Erie County)

Quote Originally Posted by soberbyker View Post
    Did you get a reason for the denial? I thought, once denied, you were to be given the reason for denial.

FYI, getting a LTCF has a few more checks in place than buying a gun. It is possible to be able to buy a gun and be denied a LTCF but very unlikely the other way around.

if its over the phone at a gun shop they dont have to give a reason. i just checked my criminal record on intelius with my friends account and it comes back with no criminal record so im going to file the challenge see what they say.

with the LTCF they are thinking if i get approved for that then i should win the challenge for the gun. and if i get denied for that then they will give me a reason and ill know whether i could win the challenge or not.

You could try this also to see what comes up. it costs $10 and can be done online:

Pennsylvania State Police - How to Obtain a Criminal History Record

(Erie County)

Quote Originally Posted by HiredGoon View Post
    You could try this also to see what comes up. it costs $10 and can be done online:

Pennsylvania State Police - How to Obtain a Criminal History Record
    thanks did it earlier came back to where it said itll be 2-3 weeks and i forgot the number they told me to even go back in and check.

i checked all sites i can find for court records and only found 1 offense thats a summary offense for driving without headlamps.

Richland Township (Bucks County) PA, Pennsylvania
    (Bucks County)

Dude, complete the challenge form.

I was able to get a LTCF/Complete numerous pics checks even though I had a DUI as an adult and felony assault as a minor. If you completed your probation (juvenile) without infraction and did not get charged again before the age of 21 - you should be fine.

To put it in perspective of how screwed the approval system really is,
    My father who has rediculous government clearances had to clear up traffic tickets from Utah (yes, utah) before they would issue his LTCF in PA.

(also, I have seen people get denied for simply having been charged with a crime, even if they were never convicted/adjudicated. Fight that, you'll likely win.)

Don't get discouraged, if you really want your second amendment rights - complete the challenge form. You can't end up any worse off than you are now, and it as another poster stated may just be a matter of paperwork being mixed or messed up.

Good luck,

Rob
    Last edited by RHGregory3; February 29th, 2012 at 07:39 AM.
    "More is lost through indecision than wrong decision"

(Erie County)

Quote Originally Posted by RHGregory3 View Post
    Dude, complete the challenge form.

I was able to get a LTCF/Complete numerous pics checks even though I had a DUI as an adult and felony assault as a minor. If you completed your probation (juvenile) without infraction and did not get charged again before the age of 21 - you should be fine.

To put it in perspective of how screwed the approval system really is,
    My father who has rediculous government clearances had to clear up traffic tickets from Utah (yes, utah) before they would issue his LTCF in PA.

(also, I have seen people get denied for simply having been charged with a crime, even if they were never convicted/adjudicated. Fight that, you'll likely win.)

Don't get discouraged, if you really want your second amendment rights - complete the challenge form. You can't end up any worse off than you are now, and it as another poster stated may just be a matter of paperwork being mixed or messed up.

Good luck,

Rob
    Thanks Rob. sent out my challenge form today. Yeah i completed juvenlile probabtion and the only thing before 21 or even up til now was a ticket for failure to use headlamps right after i turned 18. and thats only a summary offense i dont see that holding me up. I will post the results when I hear back.

Once they get the challenge form they will look into things further. If they deem it necessary they may write requesting further information from you, at that time if they have something on file that is concerning to them they will disclose it to you on another print out included with that letter.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast