Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default 9mm FPS Suppressor Question

Hello all,

Recently I have been considering finally taking the leap and getting a suppressor. For backround info I'm still stuck between a few variants on suppressor but regardless the can will be used only on a SIG P226 Dark Elite.

My question is in regard to the ammo. I know the speed of sound is 1126 FPS. I am considering using 124 gr ammo for this, but am curious as to the consistency and science behind muzzle velocity. As insight, this particular round's MV is 1120 FPS. Just under speed of sound. My questions (forgive my noob assumptions ):

1) This is bulk ammo, but has been reliable. What is a reasonable amount of variance I should expect in FPS? I assume a few more or a few less grains of powder within the cartridge will be common in bulk ammo, should I expect a wide range of actual muzzle velocity?

2) I don't have a chronograph so I won't have the ability to test the ammo, so I am relying on the mfg's info

3) If a round does break 1126 FPS I assume the audible "crack" will occur? I'm only interested in the suppressor for "fun" but if I'm going to spend the money I want it to be quite. I dont like to waste money, so if the 124 gr isn't a good choice I just won't buy it.

4) I assume the MV reading the mfg is providing is based on a standard 4" or 5" barrel. Will using a suppressor increase the muzzle velocity since the projectile will be under pressure for a longer length as it travels through the barrel and the suppressor?

5) Would I be better off going with a 147 gr (984 FPS) round and avoiding the issue all together?

(Armstrong County)

Default Re: 9mm FPS Suppressor Question

The 1126 FPS is at sea level on a 70* day.
    You are playing on a thin line with what you are looking at for the ammo.
    The 124gr ammo may give a sonic crack, esp in the winter when the air is less dense.
    The crack you get will sound like a 22LR being fired.
    In my opinion its not worth the headache.

Some guys have been able to reload 124gr bullets to keep the sub-sonic, but you may have reliability issues with your weapon cycling.
    Factory ammo, i would not bother with 124gr. Get the 147/158 ammo and call it a day.
    There really is not that much of savings involved.

The suppressor will not add velocity. Once the bullet leave the barrel it is on its own and loosing speed right away.

The Sig will make a great host weapon. One of the most quiet actions out there.
    What brand of cans are you looking at?
    Last edited by Nate7667; February 28th, 2012 at 07:20 PM. Reason: kant spel
    HGW, llc ~ Title 1 & NFA sales/manufacturing ~ Transfers - Title 1 $20 - NFA $50

Don't get wrapped up on being the most quiet. Good enough to shoot without earpro and not go deaf is good enough.

Check out huntertown arms. Their suppressors are bargain priced, high performance, user serviceable and have a bombproof warranty (shoot it out and they'll give you new baffles).

Quote Originally Posted by Nate7667 View Post
    The Sig will make a great host weapon. One of the most quiet actions out there.
    What brand of cans are you looking at?
    Thanks Nate. Gemtech is currently the front runner. Since just yesterday I've second guessed myself and am now wondering if I shouldn't get the multi-mount so I can use the same can on multiple weapons and save myself the money of having to go through the process of buying cans for each individual host.

SWR is also under review.

Any suggestions there? I actually have a business card from someone at Bear Paw from a Gun Show I went to. Maybe you haha.

(Armstrong County)

The Gemtech Multi Mount is a good can with many options for attachment.
    -fixed thread
    -thread with LID(Nealson device/booster/piston)
    -3 lug
    -Uzi nut

Same goes for the SWR Trident, same mount systems. But the Octane 9HD has superseded the Trident and im not sure on the mounting systems available....It looks like only the piston/booster is available right now.
    Plus the Octane can be taken apart by the user.

The AAC Ti-Rant is now offering another mounting option other than a fixed thread and piston. They just released a 3-lug at SHOT Show.

So depending on what you want the can to do for versatility will depend on who to go with.

Could you tell the difference in sounds between the Multi-Mount, Octane, Ti-rant, and Osprey?
    I have no idea, i've never heard them all back to back.

We have a Trident and a Multi-mount that you are more than welcome to come demo and listen to.
    I personally like the SilencerCo Osprey, but they really do not have the mounting options that is seems you are looking for.
    I have one in 45 that you can hear as well.
    If your Sig is threaded 1/2x28 you can shot the Trident and Multi-mount on your weapon so know exactly what it will sounds like.

The card could be me, it could be Dave. You have a 50/50 shot LOL
    HGW, llc ~ Title 1 & NFA sales/manufacturing ~ Transfers - Title 1 $20 - NFA $50

(Chester County)

I wouldn't bother with 124 grain ammo, you will most likely have a ton of rounds going transonic/supersonic and won't be impressed. Most 147gr ammo will work, problem is it isn't the most common 9mm loading. Federal American Eagle in 147gr is good. So is Winchester white box 147gr JHP, I used to get it cheap at Walmart. Some say Fiocchi 158gr but it was too loud for me.

Yep, The 226 is pretty much the best 9mm host, very quiet, wet the can to really be impressed.

Thanks for the input everyone.

Nate-

I will be visiting your establishment as soon as I get my choices (and funds) in order. Thanks.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by Nate7667 View Post
    The Gemtech Multi Mount is a good can with many options for attachment.
    -fixed thread
    -thread with LID(Nealson device/booster/piston)
    -3 lug
    -Uzi nut
    I have a Multi Mount and an older Trinity and they work great plus I have most of the mounts listed above.

I also have a 45 Osprey and with different pistons you can shoot 40 and 9mm so it becomes a three caliber can.

Stick with the 147gr 9mm they work best with a can.