Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 12 of 24 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314151622 ... LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default Re: where at in bucks are you ??

Quote Originally Posted by Sharkey View Post
    Dinosaur lake is no more a lake the dam that made it has since broken down and is now a shallow swamp ......
    IIRc, the lake was drained way back in the 70's to look for a body. Possibly Delores Della Penna's!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dolores_Della_Penna
    Last edited by theduke; April 29th, 2012 at 12:25 PM.
    Gotta stay awake, gotta try and shake off this creeping malaise

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by theduke View Post
    IIRc, the lake was drained way back in the 70's to look for a body. Possibly Delores Della Penna's!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dolores_Della_Penna
    I believe you are right about the draining ..... But the nor'easter in the mid 70's ? took out the dam and was never rebuilt because the owner was old and to frail to rebuild it ..... It was private property at that time now I think it's owned by bensalem open space

(Bucks County)

There used to be some type of small spillway right next to the creek. I never knew what it was a kid, but I am assuming now that it was some type of overflow. A big trench was dug just nest to this to drain the lake. I remember as a kid, one of the kids in the neighborhood was going to jump this trench with a motorcycle. It may have been 10 feet wide. I remember finding a baby snapper, it had to be the size of a half dollar. I saw a big bass in there one time, it had slowly surfaced. The only thing I caught in there was sunnies.

I think it may be part of the Golf course, which is owned by Bensalem. I worked at the Barn in the mid eighties and met the owner twice, when it was owned by Al Bader.

There used to be some type of small spillway right next to the creek. I never knew what it was a kid, but I am assuming now that it was some type of overflow. A big trench was dug just nest to this to drain the lake. I remember as a kid, one of the kids in the neighborhood was going to jump this trench with a motorcycle. It may have been 10 feet wide. I remember finding a baby snapper, it had to be the size of a half dollar. I saw a big bass in there one time, it had slowly surfaced. The only thing I caught in there was sunnies.

I think it may be part of the Golf course, which is owned by Bensalem. I worked at the Barn in the mid eighties and met the owner twice, when it was owned by Al Bader.
    The overflow drain is still there but the water level isn't high enough to use it. The original spring that had been diverted into the lake through a culvert is gone, washed out....the pipe is lying almost to the creek from up the hill towards the golf course. I was there today. It was a pleasent walk. I parked in Eddington Swim Club and walked over Knights to the Philly side, the Bucks side is impassible unless you venture onto the private property of a house....bad idea. But as you come to the lake there are stepping stones to cross, obviously put there for the purpose of accessing the lake. It's not as bad back there as I thought it would be. The lake is a bit stagnant and some signs of minor misuse but over all not the cesspool/dump I was afraid I'd find. The old dock/fishing spot is gone and the island has no access other than a falled tree that I declined to cross. We also went into Benjamin Rush State Park, it looks much as it did 30 years ago but without the mountains of trash. Only one of the old cement roads is active (others are barricaded) but if you follow it you come to a radio controlled airplane club. Very cool, a few guys flying cool toys. We did walk down a closed road (to vehicles, it didn't DO NOT ENTER) for at least a mile. It was fairly nice and I think you could spend days in there before you exhausted all the trails. Nice thick woods too with only deer trails in them. We saw a herd of 16 deer from about 100yards. Drove past the old farm I worked on during summers in high school too. It was the last farm on Machanicsville Rd and thought the house and barn are still there, the pasture/field is now houses. It was a great day and my daughter seemed to enjoy it as much as I did. Now I have to research used gold ball prices, we found a lot of them. If they have any reasonable value I'll be back next weekend.
    When the SHTF......be the fan.

(Bucks County)

Doylestown here.

(Bucks County)

Dinosaur lake
    Had some friends over fot the Flyers game ...... was talking about the lake,one remembers the draining,rattled the name of Delores Della Penna,He said that he ice skated on the lake after it was refilled

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Sharkey View Post
    Dinosaur lake
    Had some friends over fot the Flyers game ...... was talking about the lake,one remembers the draining,rattled the name of Delores Della Penna,He said that he ice skated on the lake after it was refilled
    I do not recall the lake ever being refilled. A big trench was dug, and I do not believe it was ever repaired.
    Last edited by theduke; April 30th, 2012 at 07:35 AM.

I do not recall the lake ever being refilled. A big trench was dug, and I do not believe it was ever repaired.
    Nope, the lake is still there....I was throwing bait in it yesterday to see if any fish came along. None did but there are signs others have tried so maybe they just didn't like the tent caterpillars I tossed in.
    When the SHTF......be the fan.

(Lancaster County)

Smile Re: where at in bucks are you ??

Bristol, Falls, Middletown and now in Lancaster... We actuall miss Bucks County..

(Bucks County)

OK ...... I don't know for sure ......

Quote Originally Posted by ErSwnn View Post
    Nope, the lake is still there....I was throwing bait in it yesterday to see if any fish came along. None did but there are signs others have tried so maybe they just didn't like the tent caterpillars I tossed in.
    Looks like I have to take a walk ......

Page 12 of 24 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314151622 ... LastLast