• Weatherby Vanguard 30.06

3 12.50%
  • other Savage rifle in 30.06

3 12.50%
  • other rifle in 30.06

2 8.33%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Savage model 111

I'm in the market for a new hunting rifle and came across the Savage 111 in 30.06 for under $400 new with some POS rings and scope on it. I don't care about the rings and scope as I'll be putting a Nikon Monarch w/ some Weaver rings on it, but I don't know much about these rifles. I would greatly appreciate any info I can get on these. It's a 22" barrel with a free float barrel I think it's got an accu-trigger but there is a trigger lock on it and I don't remember looking that hard at it. The stock is synthetic and the bolt has a jeweled pattern on it. I'm not overly hyped about it but for the $$ it's not bad. I have also been considering the Weatherby Vanguard in 30.06. Any other suggestions would be great I'm trying to keep the rifle $500 or less. What do you guys think about these 2 rifles?

OK I was wrong no accu-stock or trigger.
    Last edited by *Klutch*; February 27th, 2012 at 08:31 AM.

(Northumberland County)

Default Re: Savage model 111

Savage makes a good rifle and that does seem like a fair price, but if you're going to replace the scope and rings anyway I think you might be able to do a little better by looking around. I'd see what kind of sales are running at the big retailers (Cabelas, Gander Mt., Dunhams, and Dicks) for comparison. Also for comparison, here's my local store's online gun lookup: http://www.richlandshooters.com/shop-online.html Just click the link and click on 'Gun Search' on the next page. It looks like their Savage 111s start around $400 and go up from there.

On a side note, you might consider the Savage 200 as well if you're on a budget. They're basically a no-frills Savage, and are a bit cheaper because of it

(Centre County)

No acutrigger and a cheap stock? Save your money and purchase a Stevens 200. Basically the same thing but less expensive.

(Franklin County)

I bought my 111 in 1994 Very accurate. I bought it new, cause the price was in my budget. I have taken many deer with it.never a problem.
    In God We Trust............................

Guys thanks for the replies so far but I'm not looking for a cheap rifle like $200 im looking for a cheap one like $500
    Used is ok just not willing to spend new prices for used rifles

(Northumberland County)

Weatherby Vanguard has better resale value and better out of the box accuracy then the Savage.

i would go for the new Savage rifle that came out that comes with the new scope package ( i forgot the name of it).

(Northumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by TXDMERC73 View Post
    Weatherby Vanguard has better resale value and better out of the box accuracy then the Savage.

i would go for the new Savage rifle that came out that comes with the new scope package ( i forgot the name of it).
    I think you mean the Axis.

To the OP, the Stevens 200 isn't a 'cheap' rifle, in fact I'd put in the same category as the Savage you asked about (synthetic stock, no accutrigger, base model rifle, etc.). It's still made by Savage and every bit as accurate, just not fancy. Just saying

If you're looking to spend $400-500 though just because that's your budget, don't forget about the Rem. 700. If you look around, you can find them in all configurations within your budget. Even the wood stocked ones (BDLs I think?) and the newer SPSs.

On a side note, the Vanguard is a nice rifle as well.

do any of you guys know what the better models are from Savage? What number designations they give?

(Susquehanna County)

Best way to figure it out is go to the Savage website. Their model numbers run along a theme but to get specifics the website is your best bet. I did the same thing a few months ago.

(Centre County)

Quote Originally Posted by *Klutch* View Post
    do any of you guys know what the better models are from Savage? What number designations they give?
    "Better" means a lot of different things to a lot of people. Most Savage rifles (to include the Stevens, the Axis, and the less expensive Savage models) shoot really well out of the box.

What do you mean when you use that word? If you can be more specific, forum members can provide you with more intelligent answers tailored to your needs.

apark258 was right in directing you to the Savage arms website. Go there and browse the models.

Try also looking at (and joining) the Savage Forum http://savageshooters.com/SavageForum/

Specifically here is what the different letters mean:
    http://savageshooters.com/SavageForu...c,29122.0.html

Here is a discussion about the difference between Savage and Stevens rifles:
    http://savageshooters.com/SavageForu...c,10750.0.html

The recommendation for a Stevens 200 was not to get you to go cheap, but to allow you to spend less money to get a true tackdriver. If you are interested in building yourself a great rifle, that is the way to do it. If you wish to spend more, there are lots of Savage configurations, including specialized target actions, that are very good as well. I would not waste any money on the factory scope. You can do better yourself for less money.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast