Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First 1911

(York County)

Default First 1911

So I have narrowed my first 1911 down to two choices either a springfield loaded operator or a kimber pro carry II. Does anyone have one or the other, things they like or don't like? Anything I should consider before buying?
    Thanks for any info.
    Freedom isn't free.

(Bucks County)

Default Re: First 1911

I owned the springer loaded, loved it. Shot the kimber, again, very nice. Personal preference, the springer.

(Centre County)

....SA Loaded operator for like sure...

Kimber has slight edge over Springfield for overall fit and finish(tiny bit).
    But Kimber's warrenty(and their customer service) aint got nothin' on Springfield's lifetime warrenty and customer service.

I recently traded my expensive mistake(read: Kimber) for Springfield Loaded, and I never looked back.
    Audemus jura nostra defendere

I think that usually the Kimber's trigger is better then most Springfeilds some of my assoicates complain about a 5-7lb trigger pull, most Kimbers a 4lb or less. This is nothing if you know how to adjust the trigger and smooth it out but if you don't this is something to think about.

Both are top nocth companies and Guns. Customer service and warranty myabe goes to SA. It's hard to beat a lifetime warranty.
    Last edited by Neko456; February 28th, 2012 at 02:42 PM.

(Cumberland County)

I have a springfield loaded lightweight champion and love it. Never shot a Kimber so cant compare apples to apples. I would say my springfield could use a trigger job...but other than that i have had no issues with it. The lifetime warranty isn't bad either.

(Cumberland County)

My vote goes to the Kimber. I have several Kimbers, my Ultra Carry II has thousands of rounds through it and it has never missed a beat. I do not own a Springfield, so can not comment on them. Only Kimber I have seen to have any trouble was one of my dad's after he thought it needed a shock buffer. Turns out the tolerances are too tight for the gun to work properly with the shock buffer. Once he took the buffer back out the gun has worked flawlessly for years now. Kimber's one year warranty is pretty lame but I have only needed to call them once when I miss placed my take down tool. They sent me 5 for free.

(York County)

My only other thought was the weight difference between the two. 7-8 oz is a considerable difference since it will probably end up as my primary carry. I really like the springfield, just can't get past the added weight of the steel frame......yet.
    Freedom isn't free.

(Cumberland County)

I have the lightweight champion....it is alot lighter. You just have to ask yourself WWARD

What Would Aaron Rodgers Do?

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by pokerguy005 View Post
    I have the lightweight champion....it is alot lighter. You just have to ask yourself WWARD

What Would Aaron Rodgers Do?
    The super bowl dance with a 1911 hanging off his belt.
    Freedom isn't free.

(Centre County)

Quote Originally Posted by kimbershooter View Post
    Kimber's one year warranty is pretty lame.
    So is Kimber's give you one mag with $1000 gun policy...

I have owned 2 Kimbers, and 4 Springfield(1 GI, and 3 Loaded), and while I never had any issues with Kimber, and Fit/Finish were notch above that of Springfield - my GI and one of loaded(WW and N prefix) were sort of piss poor finish, but ran great.
    2 Loaded I have now - 9mm and 45 - are tightly fitted, no machine marks or anything. Accurate as well.

Kimber is more accurate I think. But only just.
    Its the difference of being able to shoot 2" group at 25yds with Kimber and compared to 2.5" at the same distance for Springfield sort of difference.
    But knowing that your being able to send it out to get it fixed 34years from now without question is alot more then year warrenty...
    Last edited by Mity2; February 27th, 2012 at 10:25 PM.
    Audemus jura nostra defendere

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast