Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Help with a .45 choice

Wanted to get input as I am saving up for a .45 that will be my CCW. I have narrowed it down to a HK45c and a 1911. On the 1911 I am also open to suggestions. Ultimately once my budget allows the answer will be both but wanted to get opinions on where I should start.

(Monroe County)

Default Re: Help with a .45 choice

I was looking for the same. Then I went into my LGS and handled a 1911. Very heavy firearm at 40 ounces. You could go with an aluminum framed 1911 and that may save 10 ounces, but to me it was just too heavy for CCW compared to my 20oz Glock.

(Berks County)

I have a 1911 springfield loaded that I use for my daily CCW, with a good holster its not bad at all, its actually better than my XD9 service to carry since its thinner.

(Lawrence County)

How did each one feel shooting? How heavily concerned are you about size and weight? What about ammunition capacity?

I love 1911s, but they are quite heavy and have a low ammo capacity. However, they were the most comfortable and nicest shooting pistols I've used yet. On top of that, the thinner profile made a commander sized 1911 very easy to conceal. Hell, even a full sized one wasn't difficult.

I've only shot a USP, but I hear the HK45 is an improvement. The trigger isn't going to compare to a 1911, but that's personal preference. It's going to be fatter as well, but that can be minimized with a good IWB holster and overshirt. You get a higher ammo capacity though, and a lighter gun.

(Monroe County)

I have a Para ord LTC commander size , empty it comes in at 28 ounces, it feels very nice carrying it , doesnt even feel it sometimes, i love the fullsize 1911 steel guns but they are very heavy, 39 ounces empty, but they are the sweetest shooting gun i have ever shot.
    My Sig 220 carry is my next favorite too , 30 ounces empty , 8 round capacity .Look into the Sig 220 too before you buy.

(Erie County)

I have had a Taurus PT145 for the past two years as my carry. I would try one on for size and please don't listen to the snobs!
    It is a great weapon, fits like a glove, simple to take down and shoot. One manual safety, 10+1 of .45 ACP, 22 OZ, and it will fit a Glock 30 holster better than a Glock 30!

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by ShaulWolf View Post
    How did each one feel shooting? How heavily concerned are you about size and weight? What about ammunition capacity?

I love 1911s, but they are quite heavy and have a low ammo capacity. However, they were the most comfortable and nicest shooting pistols I've used yet. On top of that, the thinner profile made a commander sized 1911 very easy to conceal. Hell, even a full sized one wasn't difficult.

I've only shot a USP, but I hear the HK45 is an improvement. The trigger isn't going to compare to a 1911, but that's personal preference. It's going to be fatter as well, but that can be minimized with a good IWB holster and overshirt. You get a higher ammo capacity though, and a lighter gun.
    +1. Imagine the weight of that 1911 in your pocket. How's that feel? While I carry a full size steel 1911 occasionally it certainly isn't for everyone. Then again I've been searching for the perfect carry gun for years. I bought/sold/traded 25 or so handguns last year. Still haven't found the perfect carry gun. I did find a bunch of good ones though.

I'm curious as to why you've decided on .45acp. Do you have pistols in other calibers? Do you have experience shooting .45? While it's not a high pressure round it certainly isn't mild, especially in lighter polymer guns. It's also expensive. I spent $97 on factory .45 today, and that only got me 250 rounds. Do you want to shoot a lot? Do you reload? This is the kind of stuff you have to ask yourself.

Honestly, I think it's silly not to own at least one handgun chambered in 9mm. It's cheap, and easy to shoot (for the most part).
    Selling off a a sizeable Spyderco collection here

I think you have to make a distinction between the Compact H&K .45s and all other compact polymer .45s. My off duty carry gun is an HK45C. I've had it for a year now and I have not run across another compact .45 with so little felt recoil. You'll know where the extra scratch for the HK went as soon as you put the first magazine through it. I work as an RSO and I do lessons for two ranges now, so I have shot every compact .45 on the market just about. From Springfield and Sig Sauer ultra Compact 1911s to M&P45Cs to Glock 36s to Kahr CW45s. I can reliably say after such empirical experiences that the HK45C and the USP Compact .45 are the lightest shooting compact .45s on the market. HK claims a 30% reduction in felt recoil when compared to other polymer framed compact .45s. I think that number is right on the money... and I am not a fanboy, I use whatever I think will do the best. Of all of the competition, the M&P has the next lightest felt recoil and the gap separating the two is VERY wide.

Shooting standard pressure range ammo out of it does not bother me at all, even after 250 rounds in a sitting. You will forget that you are shooting a .45... Until you pick up any other .45 auto gun. My HK45C eats the Speer 200 grain +P duty ammo rated at 518 Ft/lbs from a 5" barrel, like its candy. If its *A LITTLE BIT* snappier than regular range ammo, its still pretty drama free.

It also carries way easier than a Glock due to its much more streamline profile. A tapered slide top, a slim frame rounded edges make this a very comfy carry gun that is easily concealable. Don't let it's snug fit in the hand fool you, it works just as well on your hip.

I put an LEM trigger kit and Trijicon night sights on mine because I prefer the smooth sided gun for carry and the LEM gives you the advantage and simplicity of a DAO system and the short reset distance of a DA/SA system. With a little practice, its quite do-able to get quick, well aimed follow up shots on target in rapid succession.

As for a Compact 1911, there will be significantly more felt recoil than the HK45C and nevermind that the 1911 is heavier and, in theory, should be able to absorb more recoil impulse than a lighter gun. However shooting was believing for me.

There are other advantages though. SAO trigger. That pretty much says it all. Once you get used to them, and you have a good compact 1911 like the Dan Wesson CCO or the Sig RCS Nitron or Sig Traditional Compact. Its hard to miss with those guns in hand. I don't recommend the Ultra Compact 1911s that have less than 4" of barrel, I think the best of all possible worlds are the CCO profile guns that have Officer's grip length with a Commander length dust cover and Commander length barrel and slide. It gives you the conceal-ability of the officers gun with the shoot-ability of the commander.

As always, shooting is believing. Until then, best of luck in your search for a Compact CC .45. I hope that helps. I would offer to give you a test drive of mine, but I see you are in Atlanta, GA. So I would go rent one if you can, you won't be disappointed.
    Last edited by SCBaldr; February 27th, 2012 at 11:49 PM.
    The M1. Smackin' the bastards since 1932.

I have three .45's now, a G21, Sig 220 & a SA Range Officer. I love them all, but they're as different as night & day. If I could only have one .45, it would be the HK 45. In fact, I've been seriously considering one ever since I got my HK P30 last year. All I need to do is convince myself that I need another big, fat, difficult to conceal handgun. That's the part I'm having difficulty with.
    "It's hard to imagine a more stupid or more dangerous way of making decisions than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
    Thomas Sowell

(Chester County)

buy a full size colt .45
    best weapon for concealed carry. if your fat

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast