Update and (a bit) of a clarification on what happens if you shoot milspec 7.62mm Tokarev in a Mauser c/96:

I got my Broomhandle in the late 1980s when the big batch was imported from Communist China. Mine is a late production gun and mechanically sound though the bore is pretty worn out. At the time nobody knew much about the ammo or differences between 7.62mm Type P Combloc and traditional .30 Mauser ammo.

I bought two boxes of Interarms surplus ammo from the same dealer who sold me my gun. When I shot the ammo I noticed that it tended to cycle hard. My gun has a very worn bore so accuracy wasn't great, and I was getting jams with every magazine I loaded. Going on to finish my milsup ammo in another shooting session with a freshly cleaned and lubricated pistol, my Mauser shot the first magazine or two with no FTF, but then it started jamming again.

Recoil impulse in my hand was sharp, and I did not like shooting my gun very much. "Oh well I thought, I always wanted a Broomhandle, but it wasn't the gun I thought it would be." I put it away for several years and moved on to other guns.

Several years later I finally found out that I probably had been sold 7.62 Combloc Sub Gun ammo. My gun still works and I have shot it with standard .30 Mauser ammo from that time.

My experience would be to say that if you do accidently shoot the hotter Combloc ammo in your gun it will probably hold together, but it will not function well and you will feel it batter your gun.

Lesson learned! (Luckily for me with no consequences)