Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Hybrid View

(Cumberland County)

Default Mauser Broomhandle

Knocked another one off the wish list today at the York Gunshow. I was not expecting a lot there, seeing it was in the Memorial Hall and last one was crappy, but was pretty good!
    Have always wanted one of these bad boys. Finish is worn as would be expected but most parts ( all major ) are matching. Guy threw in repro. case. Got a heck of a deal I think, fully functional, etc.. Humor me, what do you think it's worth

(York County)

Default Re: Mauser Broomhandle

Not bad! Love the look of the old Broomhandle. Your has some obvious wear on the surface, but seems overall clean.

Dare I ask: how is the bore? (if any)

(Cumberland County)

Shiny, but I'm assuming there is suppose to be some rifling - lol. Pretty smooth. Curious what you thnk it's worth, I won't get offended I like the repro. case/stock - works nice ! I went on youtube and found a good video showing takedown and reassembly. I broke it down, cleaned it all up good, wasn't too dirty ! I really want to fire it - what do you think ??? I bought some 30 mauser at the show. It's amazing how similar it looks to my 7.62x25 ! I put them up against each other and they are dead on. I'm assuming they are NOT interchangeable though!
    Last edited by cruzans; February 25th, 2012 at 08:08 PM.

(Philadelphia County)

Great looking pistol. The worn looks adds character!

Range report in the future?

(Cumberland County)

Yeah, I'd rather worn than re-done As soon as I'm 100% sure it's a-ok and safe, I'll be sure to post a range report ! Thanks!

(York County)

7.62X25 Tokarev and .30 Mauser are identical cases, with VERY different powder charges.

Here's the Cliff Notes version of the story...

During the Russian Revolution, Bolsheviks got there hands on a lot of Mauser Broomhandles and they became so popular with the Bolsheviks, they got the nickname "Bolo Mausers"

After the revolution and the subsequent purges, the new communist military leadership looked for a replacement for the M1895 Nagant Revolver in the late 1920s, and used the .30 Mauser cartridge as a starting point. Much had changed in terms of metallurgy and gun powder since the C.96 was invented and much higher pressures and velocities could be created in the same sized cartridge. So, Fedor Tokarev designed his TT-30 and later TT-33 pistols to handle a "high velocity" loading of the .30 Mauser cartridge. Which became know as 7.62 Tokarev or 7.62x25mm to distinguish it from .30 Mauser.

So, you can fire .30 Mauser in any Tokarev or CZ vz.52 pistol, it may not cycle the action, but it is safe. You can fire 7.62 Tokarev in a C.96 once, after that, you may not have a pistol or a hand left!

Moral of the story... .30 Mauser is safe in a Tokarev, Never shoot 7.62 Tokarev out of a C.96

(Cumberland County)

Great info., thank you! I knew size wise they were the same, but assumed they could not be shot in the Mauser - rep to you for that great readers digest explanation - thanks !
    And btw, that Desert Eagle 40 is still plugging away nicely