Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    (York County)

Default Re: Mauser Broomhandle

Update and (a bit) of a clarification on what happens if you shoot milspec 7.62mm Tokarev in a Mauser c/96:

I got my Broomhandle in the late 1980s when the big batch was imported from Communist China. Mine is a late production gun and mechanically sound though the bore is pretty worn out. At the time nobody knew much about the ammo or differences between 7.62mm Type P Combloc and traditional .30 Mauser ammo.

I bought two boxes of Interarms surplus ammo from the same dealer who sold me my gun. When I shot the ammo I noticed that it tended to cycle hard. My gun has a very worn bore so accuracy wasn't great, and I was getting jams with every magazine I loaded. Going on to finish my milsup ammo in another shooting session with a freshly cleaned and lubricated pistol, my Mauser shot the first magazine or two with no FTF, but then it started jamming again.

Recoil impulse in my hand was sharp, and I did not like shooting my gun very much. "Oh well I thought, I always wanted a Broomhandle, but it wasn't the gun I thought it would be." I put it away for several years and moved on to other guns.

Several years later I finally found out that I probably had been sold 7.62 Combloc Sub Gun ammo. My gun still works and I have shot it with standard .30 Mauser ammo from that time.

My experience would be to say that if you do accidently shoot the hotter Combloc ammo in your gun it will probably hold together, but it will not function well and you will feel it batter your gun.

Lesson learned! (Luckily for me with no consequences)

I don't know much about the Broom handle except that a WWI or WWII version would be worth a pretty dollar with papers and all. Don't know were the price would really start probably around $2500-$3k dollars, maybe.

(Pike County)

Quote Originally Posted by Neko456 View Post
    I don't know much about the Broom handle except that a WWI or WWII version would be worth a pretty dollar with papers and all. Don't know were the price would really start probably around $2500-$3k dollars, maybe.
    Didn't the Germans also have a machine-pistol version of the C.96? I wonder if any of those are floating around and what the MSRP would be on one?
    Sanity, yours if you can keep it.....

(York County)

The select fire version of the C/96 Mauser is called the Model 712 (if I remember correctly). As a class 3 weapon you'll pay dearly for a transferable example.

There are also Spanish versions of the Mauser made by Royal and Astra. Select fire versions of them exist as well...equally expensive.

Should you ever get one of the class 3 registered guns, I've read that shooting them is like trying to hold a scalded cat in full auto mode.

Quote Originally Posted by LifeInPa View Post
    Didn't the Germans also have a machine-pistol version of the C.96? I wonder if any of those are floating around and what the MSRP would be on one?
    CLLIII / C&R @ $12k.

There were semi-auto versions made by Navy Arms (Schnellfeuer upper & innards, US-made lower frame) in the 80s but sourcing spare magazines can be problematic.

(Pike County)

Quote Originally Posted by Story View Post
    CLLIII / C&R @ $12k.

There were semi-auto versions made by Navy Arms (Schnellfeuer upper & innards, US-made lower frame) in the 80s but sourcing spare magazines can be problematic.
    It actually cost less than I expected, if I was going to buy one it would be a real one. The P08 Lugers are expensive so I can imagine what a semi-auto C.96 cost.
    Sanity, yours if you can keep it.....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12