Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Franklin County)

Default Ordered my Taurus 617

I ordered my backup today. A really nice Taurus 617ss revolver. Some of the reasons I got it is the 7 round capacity as well as it being a .357. I already own a Taurus PT145 and have read and heard all the "Taurus sucks" crap on the internet but I have never had an issue with them so far.

Who else owns a 617? what have your personal experiences been with it? Good/Bad? Issues?

(Monroe County)

Default Re: Ordered my Taurus 617

I had a four inch tracker for a while. Same seven shot action I believe. Was a nice little gun, never had a lick of trouble with it. It was sold mostly because I was and remain even more well stocked with S&W revolvers in .357. The Smiths will always have better triggers, but that Taurus did work well. I actually have considered the same model you're getting several times but never found the need. If you like it and it works for you, enjoy it!

AJ

(Bradford County)

Default Re: Ordered my Taurus 617

Owned a 617 for about a year. I couldn't shoot it very accurately, even in SA. .357 stings with the included grip. I replaced that with a Hogue grip and it felt much better. (Still couldn't hit the bull at 7 yards to save my life...) Aluminum cased stuff stuck in the chambers even when the gun was fired cold. When it began to heat up, even brass cases would stick in the chambers. I had to use the edge of a bench to help push the ejector rod. It looked cool, and I liked that it held 7 rounds, but that made it bulky and not easy to conceal in a pocket. I ended up selling it and sticking to automatics.

I also owned a Taurus PT92. I couldn't hit anything with that either. It's not like I am a horrible shooter. I can punch out the middle of the target with a Glock 23, XD, PPS, or Sig P238.

I don't own any Taurus guns anymore. I'm not opposed to trying another in the future, but my expectations will sure be set low.
    Last edited by J Star; February 25th, 2012 at 06:28 PM.