Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Cumberland County)

Default Cumberland County LTCF Timeframe

Morning. First time poster, long time lurker...

Wife and I are looking to purchase our first handguns in the near future. In talking with a few gun owning friends (the closest I've come is a BB pistol) they all say even if you never intend to carry getting your LTCF is a good thing. Makes travel to/from the range and such a whole lot easier. And considering we have a school 2 blocks over it will definitely make sense rather than disassembling everything and locking it up for a trip to the range.

I've reviewed the Cumberland County website for the procedure and it seems as if they are quite slow compared to other counties that I have read about here. Is it really a month-long process in Cumberland or is it more like other counties?

Plan to start shopping this weekend as I already have a few ideas but from what I understand you can buy before you et your LTCF so that ma make it harder to keep the plastic in the wallet.

(Cumberland County)

Default Re: Cumberland County LTCF Timeframe

I think it took me about 3 weeks or so to get mine if I remember correctly, it's been a while. I think my renewal took 2 weeks or less
    Upper Adams Fish and Game www.uafg.org

(Cumberland County)

Thanks. I was hoping they may be a little quicker but it is what it is. Wife and I are planning to go in March on their extended hours day.

(Cumberland County)

I live in Cumberland County but just moved back here from Florida so I have a Florida CCW thats good for 7 years. But I was thinking of getting my LTCF here as well. Let us know how long it takes you. What gun are you looking to buy?

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by pokerguy005 View Post
    I live in Cumberland County but just moved back here from Florida so I have a Florida CCW thats good for 7 years. But I was thinking of getting my LTCF here as well. Let us know how long it takes you. What gun are you looking to buy?
    Will do. I think the sheriff is open the first or 2nd Wed in March till 8pm and that's when the wife and I plan to go down.

I'm thinking of picking up a Springfield XD 9mm. I shot one at the shooting range a couple weeks ago and it felt good in my hands and I was pretty consistent with it. For target and general home defense I think it's a good way to go for a first firearm.

Also thought about a Glock G17 or Smith & Wesson M&P or even a Sig SP2022 but I've not handled them or shot with them.

(Cumberland County)

I have a Glock 19 for home defense and am going to use it for IDPA and cant say enough good things about it. I carry a Kahr CM9 it is very easy to conceal and very accurate.

(Cumberland County)

It took me about two weeks to get mine. Couple of my friends up in Perry County said it took just one day. Did they change the process?
    But It Cheap!
    Stack It Deep!

(Cumberland County)

Wife and I dropped our applications off on Monday morning. The lady at the office said 2-3 weeks before we get our postcards to come pick them up. We'll see how long it really takes.

It is weird since they can do all the background checks online and have instant results.

By law the county sheriff has 45 days to make a decision. If they do not find reason to deny a permit in the time period they have to approve.

(Cumberland County)

I have to say I'm a little jealous of york and perry country residents who can walk in with their applications and walk out with their license same day. I just put mine in last week in Cumberland, 3-4 weeks she says.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast