Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Federal primers

(Lehigh County)

Default Federal primers

Has anyone ever had a problem with Federal primers detonating while reloading? Since Colt tuned the action of my Python, I have had a lot of misfires with CCI & occasionally with Winchester, so I'm considering using Federal. (small pistol)

Lee says they are safe to use in the Safety Prime, but not in some other priming equipment. I use the Safety Prime on my Classic Turret Press. Is there any reason, safety wise, not to use them?

(Chester County)

Default Re: Federal primers

I have never had a issue with Federal Primers. I must say I have reloaded alot cases and never had a primer detonate while pushing into a case.

(Delaware County)

I shoot competitive revolver with a lot of other folks that shoot competitive revolver. All of us use Federal, none of us have problems.

(Beaver County)

I use Federal Benchrest small rifle primers all the time and never an issue. I'm sure I have used their pistol primers at one time before and currently have 5k of them in the lockbox for this years revolver ammo.
    www.Steelvalleycasting.com is your new home for coated bullets and custom ammo.

I use them and have never had any trouble. CCI is said to make a hard primer and Federal makes a soft primer. I don't know one way or the other because I've never seen a great difference. Try the standard primer and see what you get.

(Pike County)

I've loaded 10's of thousands on my Dillon. Never had a problem.

(Blair County)

I had 1 go bang once. It was in my 650 and it was trying to push it in sideways as my primer seating contraption was loose and backing out.

Kinda noisy but no harm done. Thats out of maybe 50 thousand rounds ive run through my dillon.
    I can take an assbeating like its nobodys business" - Doug Bryant

(Lawrence County)

I had a couple go off while using the "Dreaded" Pro-1000, but there's a disclaimer in the instructions warning folks not to use Federal primers in that press. Hey it was all that was available, Ha Ha...

Federals are reported/rumered to have the thinest-softest cap in the industry. I still use them to handprime for some pistols with lightened spring kits installed.
    For those who've never fought for it, the price of freedom shall never be known.

Quote Originally Posted by 2Late45 View Post
    I had a couple go off while using the "Dreaded" Pro-1000, but there's a disclaimer in the instructions warning folks not to use Federal primers in that press. Hey it was all that was available, Ha Ha...

Federals are reported/rumered to have the thinest-softest cap in the industry. I still use them to handprime for some pistols with lightened spring kits installed.
    I was told the same thing, and the packaging seems to back that up. 1000 Federal primers come in a huge box while the same number of CCI primers come in a much smaller box.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by 2Late45 View Post

The primer cups are the same thickness as the others. The Federal primers use a more sensitive compound. This sensitivity is essential for reliability in revolvers with radically lightened DA trigger pulls.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast