Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Blair County)

Default purchasing priority?

So I've stated several times lately, I'm in the market for a handgun here in the next two weeks. I've asked tons of questions regarding many different models, and have finally settled on a Glock 9mm due to ammo prices and the fact that I already have a couple boxes. I have full faith in 9mm to protect myself and my family with the right loads, yet it's also the most pleasant to shoot and cheapest to shoot (a big plus with a new baby).

Here's the dilemma-- Do I go full-size or subcompact (this will be my only handgun for a while)? Ideally I'd get a 17 and a 26, but funds at the moment don't allow that and it'll probably be a good couple months before I can convince the wife to let me add to the collection. I'd like to carry, but I'll need to conceal as my wife's gonna be leery about it to begin with and OCing will probably knock her socks off. I know you CAN conceal a 17, but warmer weather is coming fast and I won't be wearing anything more than a light t-shirt. At the same time, I want something that's gonna be fun to shoot as I'll be trying to go out and shoot as much as I can afford (time and money). I've heard the 26 is quite accurate and pleasant given its size.

Typing this all out already has me leaning towards the 26 since I definitely wanna start carrying ASAP and don't wanna go several more months without. At the same time I really, really want the 17. Maybe I need to work more overtime lol.

Some if you guys will probably mention the G19. I'm not really interested in the middle-child so to speak. If enough of you give a good argument, I'll have to consider, but at the moment I'd rather get one or the other, not try to combine them. What'll happen is I'll be wanting to buy the 17 and 26 down the road anyway. Plus I hear Gen4 G19s are far more prone to issue than their larger and smaller siblings.

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: purchasing priority?

Either way, you'll end up being happy with your purchase. Just to add my 2 cents, if you are really, really concerned about concealability, a Glock 26 is still going to print (IMO). I have a G27 - I'm 6' 235lbs and this gun definitely prints in a t-shirt during the summer.

So, not that I'm telling you to go one way or the other, but I'd take this into consideration. Yea, a 17 will be more noticeable, but neither gun is going to be 100% unnoticeable. At the same time, a large majority of people may see something under your shirt but won't even think twice that its a gun - unless they are a member of this forum of course!

(Allegheny County)

If your choices are between the 17 and the 26, get the 17 first. IMO it's a 9mm that will do everything you need it to do from CC to range use.

(Luzerne County)

Considering your criteria I would go with the 17. It will offer you the best of both worlds while you save up for your next purchase, as well as give you the best opportunity to improve your skills.

When I started carrying I went out and bought myself a 27 for all of the same reasons you listed as your pros for the 26. At first I found it a beast to shoot, there was nothing pleasant about it at all. I even started to question my decision because I found that the only thing I really liked about it was how well it concealed. Over time (about 6 months) with a lot of practice I managed to tame it and pull my groups in nice and tight, and I actually enjoy shooting it now. I think it has helped me become a better shooter overall because it really forced me to focus on my grip fundamentals. However, if that had been the only handgun I owned during that 6 months, I could see myself easily getting discouraged by it.

I also think that the more you carry the less you will concern yourself with printing. Depending on my mood I sometimes carry a full size 45 now. With the right holster it conceals just as well. I carry whenever I leave the house, most of the time my wife doesn't even notice. If it comes up in conversation she always asks if I'm carrying and sounds surprised when I say yes.

(Centre County)

Lightbulb Re: purchasing priority?

Personally, you just described THE reason most ppl chose the 19 as the do it all 9mm Glock. It conceals easily and is easy to shoot at the range, but you said 17 or 26, so......

I'd get the 26 to start, get some 19 mags with a spacer to fill the gap and save for the 17. Conceal when you want and shoot confortably at the range and have the added capacity for HD.

Realize this, you won't go wrong either way. Pick one and you will make it work.
    I don't watch shark week. Sharks watch FLICK week.

G17! (10 characters)
    "It's hard to imagine a more stupid or more dangerous way of making decisions than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
    Thomas Sowell

(Lehigh County)

My opinion would be to get a Glock 19 as a compromise. Its small enough for a cc and you still get a great shooting range gun with a grip you can hold on to. As far as the problems with the gen 4 19s they are supposedly worked out and no longer have problems.
    Last edited by 19jake91; February 24th, 2012 at 01:06 AM.

(Philadelphia County)

You could just get the G17 & chop the grip down to take 19 mags. I did that with the 17 I bought this summer & it shoots great. The chop shortens the grip which is what usually sticks out when concealing yet leaves you with the full 17 sight radius & parts compatibility and won't be adding much in the way of length if at all if you decide to mount a light. Having the longer slide also helps keep the pistol stable when carrying IWB. It only costs 2 rounds in the carry mag, you keep the full size 17 mags for reloads and with a 2 mag carrier you have a full 50 rounds of 9mm at your disposal.
    Warning: I may not read responses to OP before posting

(Monroe County)

I own a 17 and a 26, i think you should try a 26 before you buy, its not for everyone. Most people find the short rounded grip uncomfortable, personally i put a pierce grip extension on mine so it doesnt bother me but yeah its a heck of a Gun, very accurate and soft shooting.

THe 19 is better suited for what you desire though.

Yeah the Germans got it right the first time regarding the 9mm, very size efficient round , been killing people all over the world since 1909.
    Personally i carry 45's and .40's in the winter and 9mm in the summer.

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by FLICK View Post
    Personally, you just described THE reason most ppl chose the 19 as the do it all 9mm Glock. It conceals easily and is easy to shoot at the range
    /\ This! If you're hellbent on not getting the 19, then go 17.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast