Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

View Poll Results: Is .380 ACP an adequate self-defense caliber?

Voters
65. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

42 64.62%
  • No

1 1.54%
  • Somewhat

19 29.23%
  • Mekka lekka hi mekka hiney ho!

3 4.62%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ruger LCP

(Philadelphia County)

Default Ruger LCP

Good evening,

I'm going to buy an Ruger LCP .380 ACP. I love this gun. During various range sessions I've put approximately 1,000 rounds down range through various rental LCPs with no cycling malfunctions and it's highly accurate for such a small pistol.

I'm going to use it for situations in which concealing a full-size pistol is slightly more difficult, I.E. when I go jogging in the mornings, especially in hotter weather! It will be pocket concealed.

Currently, my primary EDC pistol is my H&K P30 in .40 S&W, and I've never carried anything less effective than a 9mm Luger.

Would anyone that has extensive knowledge about the .380 ACP aka 9mm Kurtz, like to give me his or her opinion as to which .380 ACP round has the deepest penetration?

Thanks

Last edited by Heckler N Koch; February 22nd, 2012 at 10:47 PM.

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Ruger LCP

Wow, 1,000 rounds! That's a lot! I got one last month and I can't put more than 2-3 mags through it at a session before it eats up the corner of my trigger finger nailbed.

I think somebody mentioned filing down the CT laser plastic...maybe I need to seriously figure out how to do that.

Anyhoo.... otherwise, I love my Rugers!!!!!
    "Stupid people are ruining America." --Herman Cain

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by cakeshooter View Post
    Wow, 1,000 rounds! That's a lot! I got one last month and I can't put more than 2-3 mags through it at a session before it eats up the corner of my trigger finger nailbed.

I think somebody mentioned filing down the CT laser plastic...maybe I need to seriously figure out how to do that.

Anyhoo.... otherwise, I love my Rugers!!!!!
    Thanks it was spread out over 4 trips, usually when I go to the range to have fun, I'll rent something else that catches my attention. I usually shoot from 300-600 rounds per range session, what can I say I love shooting!

(Lancaster County)

Pros: The LCP is my BUG but most of the times I don't carry my Sig 239 357 sig because it's uncomfortable but I carry my LCP everywhere I go and I trust that will get the job done if I ever need it. I love the compactness of it and I can carry it in my pants pocket or my coat pocket. I use a Uncle Mike's pocket holster for it.

Cons: I have some doubts about the 380 penetrating clothing, especially heavy denim but I guess when in doubt, go for a head shot. Another concern is that it's a close range gun so you have to keep that in mind too, it's not like my 6" Ruger GP100 where I can hit the bulls-eye 50 feet away with accuracy. The LCP can be hard to hit the side of the barn while standing inside the barn. Lastly, I'm always concerned about how many rounds I fire at the range with it, I'm always worried about breaking it if I feed it to much ammo. It just doesn't have the durability feel that my other guns have that I can feed it ammo all day and not worry about it breaking.

But overall, I love my LCP and trust that will get the job done if a code red would arise.
    Last edited by sigsauer357; February 22nd, 2012 at 10:07 PM.

IMO .380 is a ball ammo load.
    I have nothing against it. I'm one of the few that saw its usefulness when most proclaimed it DOA when the small 9mm’s became widely available.
    JMHO, I have not seen any jhp’s in .380 that get me excited.

Edit:
    I'm referring to standard pressure loads.
    Last edited by God's Country; February 22nd, 2012 at 10:11 PM.
    FUCK BIDEN

(Bucks County)

Buffalo Bore hard cast LCP load of choice IMHO.
    Its easier to fool people than to convince them they've been fooled....Mark Twain

(Allegheny County)

I voted somewhat.

I think. 380 in a gun with sights would be a "yes". I certainly think its capable of doing the job... just the delivery system is my main gripe. (And I have 2) I am just absolutely not enthused about ever having to use it. For the package (size) its unbeatable. But good lord do I hope with every fiber of my being I'm carrying something else if I ever have to use a firearm in defense of my life... Glock, FNH... hell, anything.

[silent prayer: please oh please lord let it be the FNH...]

(Carbon County)

i am not going to argue the power of a 380 for self defense. the lcp is what i carry 90% of the time. i use hydra shocks. think what you want about if its going to penetrate heavy clothes or not. i think its going to bring down anything that comes at me. i dont care if they are wearing thick leather, its going to stop the crack head, or the gentleman. as far as putting 1000 rounds through it, i wouldnt do that. the gun is probably made for about 3 to 5000 rounds. makes no sense to keep running a pocket gun like that unless you dont plan on carrying. i put a few hundred rounds through mine with all types of ammo. no failures, i carry it and leave it alone. once a month or 2, i will run a mag through it, clean it and carry it.

(Bucks County)

I said "somewhat" because it IS a hell of a lot better than .32 or .22 (which come in comparably sized pistols). That being said, I am in complete agreement that I'd hope to have a better gun/caliber on me in the event I needed it. If I came across a good deal I MIGHT consider picking one up as a BUG, but I HATE shooting them so it doesn't look like it's on the horizon. If I went the .380 route I'd be more likely to pick up a Kahr.

My girlfriend has a Sig P238...I make sure she keeps it loaded with standard ball ammo. #1 reason being that it has proved to be far more reliable and accurate with Rem target loads than Hornaday, Remington, and Federal HP's. Now that it is better broken in I will start testing more defense loads. Until then, I'd rather her get direct COM hits with ball than a miss with a HP.

(Carbon County)

Quote Originally Posted by firebird.77 View Post
    I said "somewhat" because it IS a hell of a lot better than .32 or .22 (which come in comparably sized pistols). That being said, I am in complete agreement that I'd hope to have a better gun/caliber on me in the event I needed it. If I came across a good deal I MIGHT consider picking one up as a BUG, but I HATE shooting them so it doesn't look like it's on the horizon. If I went the .380 route I'd be more likely to pick up a Kahr.

My girlfriend has a Sig P238...I make sure she keeps it loaded with standard ball ammo. #1 reason being that it has proved to be far more reliable and accurate with Rem target loads than Hornaday, Remington, and Federal HP's. Now that it is better broken in I will start testing more defense loads. Until then, I'd rather her get direct COM hits with ball than a miss with a HP.
    dont know the build date on her 238, but mine eats anything i put in it. its a great little gun that i trust 100%

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast