Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Adams County)

Default 700 REMINGTON SAFETY

I have owned a 700 Remington and 742 since 1978.Each are fine rifles and never had a problem with either one.
    A few weeks ago, a TV show was questioning the safety of the 700. (This was not a anti-gun show).

1- Chamber a round, engage the safety, when taking the safety off- BANG-The rifle discharges .
    2- Chamber a round, squeeze the trigger, CLICK- missfire. When opening the bolt, BANG-the rifle discharges.

They had interviews of 700 owners, rifle ranges,U.S. Military (700 Remington Sniper Rifle still out there) All had the same complaint.

I tried to duplicate the the above malfunction with my 700 so many time my hands were getting stiff.
    There was NO malfunction at all.

So, if you are a 700 owner be-a-ware of the situation. SAFETY FIRST!

~BEST TO ALL~
    BILL----------------------------------->
    NRA - LIFE / ENDOWMENT MEMBER
    LIFE MEMBER - VIETNAM VETERANS AMERICA
    U.S.NAVY SEAWOLVES - VIETNAM 69/70

(Luzerne County)

Default Re: 700 REMINGTON SAFETY

I've heard of this for a while... people put them through torture tests and they can't repeat what they are saying is happening. I think I remember one test the guy was saying he thinks the trigger must be getting pulled without the shooters knowledge. I've never had a problem.

(Delaware County)

Isn't the 700 built on a mauser 98 type action?

Reading those two points, they seem very similar to I was told to check for when buying a surplus mauser.

I remember being told to cock it, and then:
    1. engage the safety and pull the trigger
    2. put the safety in the load position and pull the trigger
    3. put the safety in the load and safe positions and smack the rifle on the side smartly

none of which should result in the rifle firing. Could be the same problem? Weak spring somewhere?

I heard this was only a problem if you set the trigger too light. All 700's have an adjustable trigger and if you don't know what you are doing bad things could happen. I watched this show and seen a guy that shot his son. It was sad, but how the hell do you shoot someone unless you are pointing you gun at them? Why was he pointing his gun at his kid? Even if there is something wrong with the gun this should have never happened if you don't point your gun at something or someone you are not willing to destroy.
    Any vote for a third party is a vote for a Democrat. You are the enemy.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Yoder View Post
    I heard this was only a problem if you set the trigger too light. All 700's have an adjustable trigger and if you don't know what you are doing bad things could happen. I watched this show and seen a guy that shot his son. It was sad, but how the hell do you shoot someone unless you are pointing you gun at them? Why was he pointing his gun at his kid? Even if there is something wrong with the gun this should have never happened if you don't point your gun at something or someone you are not willing to destroy.
    Appears you are right on this one Yoder. Yes it is truly sad, always keep the muzzle pointed in a safe direction.

Shooting is, as it has always been, the fabric of America!

(Allegheny County)

Great video! Explains a lot.
    Toujours prêt