Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Franklin County)

Default Michaux gun range

State takes aim at fate of Michaux gun range
    Public Opinion Online

By Jim Hook

Senior writer

The future of the Michaux State Forest Target Range is to be decided in the next couple of months.

The state is taking a close look at whether the shooting range, closed more than a year ago because of vandalism, should be re-opened.

About 30 people recently attended a public meeting at the Buchanan Valley Fire Company about the future of the range. Coming from as far away as Hanover and Carlisle, they met in small groups to offer their suggestions to the state Department of Natural Resources and Environmental Protection.

Most indicated they wanted a shooting range in the state forest on the mountain east of Chambersburg. Several said the current location was less than ideal:

-- Bullets pose the eventual risk of lead toxicity on land adjacent to Chambersburg's main water supply, the Long Pine Run Reservoir.

-- The noise can disturb wildlife attracted to the water and visitors who fish, canoe or kayak on the reservoir.

-- The range is secluded and therefore difficult to police.

Michaux's is the last shooting range in Pennsylvania's state forest system, according to Michaux District Forester Roy Brubaker.

Brubaker told those at the public meeting on Tuesday:

-- State forests have no clear mandate to provide shooting ranges, as they are mandated to provide trails for all-terrain vehicles.

-- Michaux does not receive a specific allocation for the shooting range. Funding for the district forest is based on miles of road, acres of timber harvest and number of maintenance buildings. "If we collect money (from shooters) we don't necessarily get the money at the district level or for sustaining the target range."

-- The target range does not demonstrate a clear public good. There is no data to back up the assumption that a target range decreases illegal target shooting. The issues about noise, convenience and energy savings are also unclear.

"We need to know what motivated you to come out tonight," Brubaker told the gathering. "I don't know if it's going to be a local decision or a Harrisburg decision."

Hunter Galen Stouffer of Fayetteville said he had his suspicions.

"It's all going to come down to the bureaucrats in Harrisburg," Stouffer said.

Stouffer said he used the range for shooting in his rifle for deer season. Without it, he's made do, albeit unlawfully. He takes his deer rifle along when he takes his grandchild squirrel hunting, and sights it in.

The target range on Birch Run Road was well-constructed and in a perfect landscape for shooting, according to Stouffer.

State forest officials chose the site in 2003 as an alternative to a proposed site opposed by neighbors. They wanted to move the existing shooting range because it was too close to Caledonia State Park and the Chambersburg water supply intake.

James Arter of Buchanan Valley said the current site is better than the previous range that was located too near Caledonia campgrounds.

"You didn't really bother anybody by shooting in the woods," he said.

"I think we need a range, but not at that location," said a man who identified himself only as a shooter and outdoorsman from Chambersburg. "You're disturbing wildlife in this sensitive area."

He said the osprey and bald eagles have returned to the reservoir since the range has been silenced. Gun fire is louder and more disturbing to wildlife than ATVs, he said.

Michaux maintenance supervisor Bill Parr has been responsible for the shooting range. He said computer monitors and television sets have been brought to the range for target practice. Armor-piercing rounds have torn up devices attempting to contain the lead down range. The latest design included a 20-inch log, sand, 3/4 inch steel and a rubber conveyor belt.

"Armor-piercing was causing the problem," Parr said. "We tried everything. We couldn't find a way to keep it up. We have some ideas."

The noise would be reduced if shooters shot through baffles, he said.

"Whatever it takes so we still have a public shooting range," Arter said. "I want a range no matter where."

It's costly for hunters to pay $100 for a membership to private clubs when they use the range just a couple of times a year to sight their firearms for hunting seasons, Brubaker said.

Arter said the atmosphere of a club can put pressure on a beginning shooter. The pressure is off at a public range.

"You can calm that boy down, and he'll shoot perfectly," Arter said.

Hunters sometimes drop their rifles and may have to recalibrate them during the season, he said. A local range is convenient.

Jack Burd of Fayetteville said he uses the range three or four times a year for sighting his rifles. He said it's not convenient to go Game Commission ranges in Dillsburg or Carlisle.

Burd and others suggested that a "friends' group" help manage the range.

Other suggestions from various groups included:

-- Set up video cameras to monitor the range.

-- Limit access with a locked gate.

-- Charge per use.

-- Make shooting permits more accessible.

-- Set hours and days to aid in enforcement efforts.

-- Move the range to a location closer to the highway where it will receive closer scrutiny.

Forestry officials have characterized misuse and vandalism of the range as "chronic."

"If there's vandalism, you have to close it," said Donald Lehigh, a hunter and shooter from Hanover. "I'd like to see a range somewhere."

Jim Hook can be reached at 717-262-4759 and jhook@publicopinionnews.com.

The Michaux District Forest is accepting written comments about the shooting range through Nov. 15. Comments will be summarized in a follow-up report.

Send letters to: Bureau of Forestry, Forest District 1, 10099 Lincoln Way, East Fayetteville, Pa. 17222-9609. Send email to: Fd01@pa.gov

For more information visit http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/forestry...haux/index.htm. The site has copies of a task force's report on the shooting range and a study of the lead issue.

An estimated 4,000 people had permits to shoot at the Michaux State Forest target range off Birch Run Road when it was closed in June 2010 because of vandalism.

In the 1970s the range was located off Quarry Gap Road.

Since at least 1983, the range was located at an abandoned shale pit just north of Caledonia State Park.

In 2000, forest officials responded to increasing complaints about the range by looking for a new location.

By 2003, forest officials gave up on a location between Shippensburg and Miltenberger roads because of complaints from neighboring landowners.

In 2004, district staff located the range at its current location in a borrow pit used during the construction of Long Pine Reservoir.

In 2009, some people complained about the noise at the reservoir. Maintaining the range becomes more difficult with state budget cuts.

In 2010, district staff closed the range because of littering and deferred maintenance.

Michaux staff and forest stakeholders are exploring what the next step should be for the shooting range, the last in Pennsylvania's forest system.

(Franklin County)

Default Re: Michaux gun range

The vadalism wasn't that extreme. Dont get me wrong , no vandalism is good. But someone shot up a trash can and put a few holes in some of the benches. I dont think DNR is anywhere near anxious to open it up again, let alone move it anywhere. That's where the politics come in about the lead contamination. Now they are saying noise levels are too high. Give it more time and they will find more reasons not to open it. The real shame is, this region only has 1 public shooting range , which is in carlisle. All the other regions have up to 10 public ranges. A bunch of us from franklin county, on this gun forum, have offered our help many times to clean up, fix up the range , with no results yet. I like the relaxed atmosphere and commorodery that i enjoyed everytime I went there. I to would like to see it reopen. But, I am not holding my breath..........
    In God We Trust............................

(Franklin County)

I use to go there about 3 times a week in the morning. There was one guy that was there most days, and he had a magnet on a string and would pickup the steel, another guy would come and pickup the brass. We had trash bags and would pick up trash and take it with us. As I understand, a number of people were willing to put time in to keep the place up, but found no support from the rangers.

(Franklin County)

This is really unfortunate- I would be more than happy to pay my dues by way of regular cleaanups and maintenance. As it is, my only other option is Chambersburg Rod & Gun club, but I'm looking at $80 for a first time member. So much for shooting being a fun and inviting sport (anytime I want to let someone experience the thrill of target shooting, I want to take them to an outdoor range).

Anyway I hope some common ground can be reached.

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by slipnslide View Post
    As it is, my only other option is Chambersburg Rod & Gun club, but I'm looking at $80 for a first time member.
    Based on what information?

I belong to Chambersburg Pistol & Rifle Club. I pay $45 per year, and dues can be offset by work time put in at the range.
    Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.

(Franklin County)

Sorry, I didn't realize there was another club - I was referring to the rod+gun club, on Warm Spring rd.. (http://www.chambersburgrodandgun.com). They charge $40 extra for first year of membership.

Will definately look into the pistol+rifle club, thanks!

(Franklin County)

I used to belong to the Cburg Pistol & Rifle Club. Very nice range but you HAVE to be an NRA member. I don't like being forced to do something so then I heard about Frontier County Gun Club on the other side of town. Dues are $20 a year. Good range, up to 200yds. Was just there today.

(Franklin County)

Who do you contact for membership at Frontier County Gun Club?

(Franklin County)

Shooting you a PM with the president's phone number. He's in WV for a week so give him a call a week from this coming Monday.

(Franklin County)

Thanks will call next week

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast