Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Clinton County)

Default .308 win vs. .300 win mag

Having a hard time deciding which caliber i want. I've finally broken down and decided that i want to purchase a bolt gun with a little range to it, and i cant decide whether i want it in .308 or .300.

I already have lots of rifles. Several ar15's, a bunch of old military guns, an ak47, etc, so i am not new to shooting, but the only two guns i have optics on are my Ruger 10/22 and 77/22 mag, and i think its time for something with a little more pop to it with some glass on top. Id like to be able to hunt with it, so nothing that's gonna weigh a million pounds, but i would like at least a semi-heavy barrel on it. I would like to be able to shoot at some pretty decent ranges. 1000 yard shooting is wildly optimistic for me, but with practice, someday i would like to give it a try, and would like to have a rifle/caliber combo that can get me there eventually, even if it means upgrading barrel, optics, etc later on down the road. Ive pretty much settled on the Rem 700 (thinking the SPS long range model), since it has great after market support, and they are pretty reasonable price-wise. The part i am really stuck on is whether i want it in .308 or .300.

I like the universality of the .308, and availability of components and such, but the .300 strikes me as pretty classy. I like the idea of having the option of shooting heavy (220gr bullets, or thereabout) loads through it, and having lots of case capacity to play with as far as reloading. SOOO.... herein lies my problem... I have little experience with shooting either of these calibers from a bolt gun, and i also do not have a ton of experience shooting at longer ranges, but i am excited to learn. So what do you guys think? which is ultimately the better way to go, .308 or .300?

(Cumberland County)

Default Re: .308 win vs. .300 win mag

Do you really plan to do work out to 1000 yds or are you thinking "I might want to someday"? Also, if you don't reload, 308 ammo is going to be cheaper.

I have never shot a 300WM, so I may be a bit biased. I like 308WIN. Granted, it doesn't handle heavy bullets (north of 180gr) very well, but it does just about anything else you might want it to do. By the same token, if you do reload, you can always load 300WM down to 308WIN speeds.

You can also do like our military did with their sniper rifles (the "M" designation escapes me at the moment). They built 308WIN rifles on long action frames. They are in the process of moving to 300WM. New bolt, cut new chamber and headspace - done.

OR

Get one of each.
    Soap Box - Worn out : Ballot Box - Broken : Jury Box - Pending : Ammunition Box - Unknown

The End of Josiah's Railroad, Pennsylvania
    (Luzerne County)

I can accurately shoot a 5.56 M-16 to 500 meters or more, and I holy doubt that I will find many places in PA where I could stretch a shot that far due to hills, trees, etc. between those two, I would choose .308 Winchester. It is a great round that will serve any need I can foresee.

The only negative I can think of with the .300 Win Mag is faster throat erosion, but since it doesn't fill any of my potential uses better, it loses.

Though the .308 can do that the .300 win mag can do it better IF you can handle the extra recoil. 1000 yard shot is not easy and will take some good training and preparation even with a .300 win mag that just a very long long distance shot, almost everything has be done right.

Better yet the Beret .50 cal would bee a better choice but Costly, each round is $3-$5. .300 Win mag would be the way to go.

I have read of shooters doing that same shot with .308 and 30-06 but they were expert shots, trained for it, from that Competion Camp.
    Last edited by Neko456; February 22nd, 2012 at 05:22 PM.

If you plan to ever go out west for big game then I would get the .300 Win Mag.The round will come in handy on the long distance shots.
    I have a 7 mm rem mag and I have used it out west on mule deer and antelope. Its a performer.
    If you reload or know someone who does the .300 can be loaded down to .308 velocities, but not the other way around
    If you plan on hunting and shooting only in PA then the .308 win is plenty.
    Derrion Albert was my Hero.

(Chester County)

I had the same issue a year back and have ended buying both calibers (and a 30-06) so the answer for me was vague to say the least. Sorry that doesn't help much but I love all 3 calibers but shooting the 300 Win Mag is just awesome

If I had one caliber, I'd pick the 300 win mag but also because I hunt and would want the best caliber for a variety of game. Then again, a many of game has been taken with .308 and lower so take it for what it's worth.

Again, you can pretty much make any caliber work for what you want but I'd pick the 300 win mag for what your asking. Just preference, very little science to it.
    Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.

(York County)

I would base it on the honest response to two questions:

1. What are you realistically going to do with it?

2. Which can you shoot accurately & comfortably?

If the above doesn't answer then buy both.

(Allegheny County)

The 308
    The 30-06
    The 300 win mag

ALL share all use the same bullets as they are all the same caliber.

The whole 30 cal in the above offers lots of load possible, probably more different options than any other rifle caliber out there because its shares the same bullets work in all three and they have sold lots of hunting guns in all three calibers over the years.

The 300 win mag just moves the bullets faster, flatter and retains more energy down range than the other two.

Own at least one of each and killed deer with all the above.

Usually pick the 300 out of the rack as the first choice to go deer hunting, or anything else, because nothing is out of range and its big enough to take on anything in north America if you just had one gun to buy, something to consider.

The others two will leave you saying well its almost as powerful, still they will do the task and do it well enough for most hunting places.

My first rifle was the 30-06, for some of the reason you may make your final choice over the other two, easy to find ammo for, probably the most common deer gun out there in usa.

Buy whatever you like or want as they all will take down big game in US.

Just remember shot placement is the key, not more fire power to make up for lack of shooting skills

The down side to the 300 win mag is the loaded ammo usually don’t see anything cheap or on sale like you do for the other two right before hunting season.
    Learn how to really SUPPORT the 2nd Amendment cause Go To http://www.foac-pac.org/

I don't shoot long range but I hunt a lot. I have a 7mm mag a 30-06 and a .308. My dad has a 300 mag. We've shot deer with all 4 calibers is PA and the mag rounds tear the hell out of a deer. Especially ballistic tips. They won't run away, but you loose a lot of meat. Usually they drop where they stand even with a gut shot. If you reload I'm sure you could download so this wasn't a problem. Just something to think about.
    Any vote for a third party is a vote for a Democrat. You are the enemy.

There is some good info here, so if I may, let me just say that if you get the .308, 99 out of 100, you'll wish you got the 300.

You can soft load the 300 so it kicks less. The Rem. 700 in both cartridges is the same price. The 300 in normal loads will have a better trajectory. The 300 in normal loads kicks a fair amount, and it is noticable when compared to a .308. The 300 will tear up some meat, but if you aren't a head hunter, just go for the head. It will make a mess of a small to medium sized animal head. The 300 is quite a bit louder and the percussion is fairly substantial when compared to a .308. Both rounds will go 1000 yds, but the 300 will have less drop. Unless you are good with a scope, you'll just be guessing, anyway, especially at that distance. 300 ammo is a little more expensive, but when you look at Hornaday and the likes, it is not that much more for what the 300 gives you in return. It is my favorite rifle round (see user name) and I generally only look at rifles chambered in the 300, anymore. I do use a shoulder pad (of my own design) that works so well, you do not have to think about anything other than that perfect trigger squeeze when you are a good number of yards out. The .308 is a fine round, and even the .270 will take darn near anything in the States. I think the 300 is a better round for the one shot one kill at greater distances.

Negatives to the 300 are as some have mentioned: faster throat erosion (though not that much faster), substaintially more recoil (lots of nice recoil pads out there), louder (don't shoot this with no protection) heavy percussion, ammo is a little more. Everything else IMO is a plus.
    BCM and Glock...for a bigger pile of 'cold dead hands' brass.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast