Having a hard time deciding which caliber i want. I've finally broken down and decided that i want to purchase a bolt gun with a little range to it, and i cant decide whether i want it in .308 or .300.

I already have lots of rifles. Several ar15's, a bunch of old military guns, an ak47, etc, so i am not new to shooting, but the only two guns i have optics on are my Ruger 10/22 and 77/22 mag, and i think its time for something with a little more pop to it with some glass on top. Id like to be able to hunt with it, so nothing that's gonna weigh a million pounds, but i would like at least a semi-heavy barrel on it. I would like to be able to shoot at some pretty decent ranges. 1000 yard shooting is wildly optimistic for me, but with practice, someday i would like to give it a try, and would like to have a rifle/caliber combo that can get me there eventually, even if it means upgrading barrel, optics, etc later on down the road. Ive pretty much settled on the Rem 700 (thinking the SPS long range model), since it has great after market support, and they are pretty reasonable price-wise. The part i am really stuck on is whether i want it in .308 or .300.

I like the universality of the .308, and availability of components and such, but the .300 strikes me as pretty classy. I like the idea of having the option of shooting heavy (220gr bullets, or thereabout) loads through it, and having lots of case capacity to play with as far as reloading. SOOO.... herein lies my problem... I have little experience with shooting either of these calibers from a bolt gun, and i also do not have a ton of experience shooting at longer ranges, but i am excited to learn. So what do you guys think? which is ultimately the better way to go, .308 or .300?