Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default Advice for Newbies shooting .22 out of the Mark III

Not sure if it is specific to this particular firearm. Stay away from Remington 550, Winchester, and the Federal Value Pack. Wasted about 40 dollars worth of ammo and 20 hours of my time figuring why I could get this son of a bitch sighted in.

Great at 15 feet, couldn't even hit the target at 45 with holographic sight. Used CCL and all the problems with accuracy went away. I heard Federal target round in the 325count box perform good as well.

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Advice for Newbies shooting .22 out of the Mark III

My Mark II eats everything and anything with equal accuracy results. Okay, if I shoot the expensive target ammo, I get X-ring groups at 25 yards but I'm usually happy with 10 ring groups.

Quote Originally Posted by NRA Recruiter View Post
    My Mark II eats everything and anything with equal accuracy results. Okay, if I shoot the expensive target ammo, I get X-ring groups at 25 yards but I'm usually happy with 10 ring groups.
    In all fairness, this III is one of those 4.5 inch special edition models (size matters!). Now I know why I only paid a little over 300 for it, you get what you paid for....lol

My MK III 6 inch has never given me any trouble. It has taken everything I've fed it. It does like to have the feed ramp cleaned every 200 or so rounds. But other than that, it just shoots.

A note with new Rugers, hold it like you would a .45. Very firm. They need to break in before you give them a light hold.

(Beaver County)

Alot of .22's are picky about ammo. My Buckmark will eat anything but Win bulk pack. My suppressed Mark II eats it all. Ive had my best luck with CCI ammo so I stick to that. Their consistancy is much better than bulk pack ammo. I mean come on. Cheap ammo is exactly that. Cheap.
    www.Steelvalleycasting.com is your new home for coated bullets and custom ammo.

(Lehigh County)

A "lemon" maybe? I didn't think there was much of a difference between the MK II and III.

My Target MK II went through close to 20,000 rounds in a Bullseye League before I started getting hiccups (failures to eject). A round trip via FEDEX to Ruger's repair shop (repair was free, shipping was $75!) and it came back good as new.

On the league's firing line, I saw lots of other MK II's and III's with no grumblings. My MK II eats anything but I need to clean it after about 300 rounds if I shoot the bulk packs you mentioned.

I second the comment about CCI - it is cleaner and I get tighter groups.

Any misfires now, or when the pistol was new, are obvious primer issues or massive crud buildup (unburnt powder buildup preventing the bolt from fully closing - I use a toothpick to chip the hunks out of the corner of the chamber).

My Ruger Mk III 6" bull barrel is the most reliable 22LR gun I own. Even when the Phoinenix adn marlin 60 won't fire some rounds the Mk III pumps them right out. Its adjustable sights give target gun accuaracy with decent ammo and good group with old or cheap 22 ammo. I believe you'd have to hit it with a slug hammer to stop it from firing and then it might after that.

Do what works for yours mines pretty reliable in my test.