Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Cumberland County)

Unhappy H&K P30 Fluted Chamber???

Was out shooting with my dad and step mom today. She had brought along her new P30 and of course I had to try it. Shot pretty nice. After shooting I was picking up the brass and noticed that all the cases were bulged from head to about a 1/4" of the mouth. When we got back my dad and I tore the gun down to get a better look and you can clearly see a step in the chamber. So he called H&K, they said this is the way the gun is designed and the ammo should not be reloaded. Only putting this up here because we like to reload everything and having a gun that destroys cases just is not cool.

Default Re: H&K P30 Fluted Chamber???

The P30 does not have a fluted chamber. Flutes are lengthwise cuts.

There will be a noticeable step from the chamber to the rifling. All guns with rifling will be like this.....the case is bigger than the bullet......

The P30 also does not destroy cases. This is not normal. I would try to better explain what your brain is thinking when you call up HK again. There's an obvious disconnect between what you're thinking, and what the HK employee understood.

My mac10 did that. I reloaded the brass four times, at least.
    If it were mine i think i would take it back and demand a full refund. That's shitty if you ask me.
    FJB

I don't remember my P30 doing that to cases. I've run reloads from that gun and they have been trouble free and not buldged...
    The M1. Smackin' the bastards since 1932.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by kimbershooter View Post
    Was out shooting with my dad and step mom today. She had brought along her new P30 and of course I had to try it. Shot pretty nice. After shooting I was picking up the brass and noticed that all the cases were bulged from head to about a 1/4" of the mouth. When we got back my dad and I tore the gun down to get a better look and you can clearly see a step in the chamber. So he called H&K, they said this is the way the gun is designed and the ammo should not be reloaded. Only putting this up here because we like to reload everything and having a gun that destroys cases just is not cool.
    Your situation is completely explained in this thread.

http://www.hkpro.com/forum/hk-handgu...ted-brass.html

cliff's:
    It's a "stepped" chamber. HK does it. There are supposed benefits to it, most mention accuracy, velocity, and a better case seal, less powder streaking - etc.

There is a picture of the chamber in that thread showing what HK does, as well as an old chamber diagram illustrating it as well.

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    The P30 does not have a fluted chamber. Flutes are lengthwise cuts.

There will be a noticeable step from the chamber to the rifling. All guns with rifling will be like this.....the case is bigger than the bullet......

The P30 also does not destroy cases. This is not normal. I would try to better explain what your brain is thinking when you call up HK again. There's an obvious disconnect between what you're thinking, and what the HK employee understood.
    That is what the rep from H&K called it. I will try and get some pics of the cases. I did measure the cases. Mouth of the case is .380 Center of the case is .397 and there is a distinct ring about 1/4" down from the mouth of the case. If you don't believe me give them a call. (706) 568-1906

Quote Originally Posted by bogey1 View Post
    My mac10 did that. I reloaded the brass four times, at least.
    If it were mine i think i would take it back and demand a full refund. That's shitty if you ask me.
    They offered to sell my dad a barrel without the "fluting" for $250

Quote Originally Posted by SCBaldr View Post
    I don't remember my P30 doing that to cases. I've run reloads from that gun and they have been trouble free and not buldged...
    Maybe yours is a different generation? I don't know. Just thought I would share. Definitely disappointed in H&K, my first pistol was a H&K usp45 that I bought almost 15 years ago. The one and only gun I wish I never sold.

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by Asmodeus6 View Post
    Your situation is completely explained in this thread.

http://www.hkpro.com/forum/hk-handgu...ted-brass.html

cliff's:
    It's a "stepped" chamber. HK does it. There are supposed benefits to it, most mention accuracy, velocity, and a better case seal, less powder streaking - etc.

There is a picture of the chamber in that thread showing what HK does, as well as an old chamber diagram illustrating it as well.
    Thank you, is it true that we should not reload the brass out of this gun?

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by kimbershooter View Post
    They offered to sell my dad a barrel without the "fluting" for $250
    It's not fluting. It's a stepped chamber.

I looked around and couldn't find any American barrels to drop in for your P30.
    Perhaps there is a cheaper option out there somewhere that you can just swap out to use instead? I'm sure your original P30 barrel will fetch a pretty penny from someone. Might even pay for the replacement.

?

Not sure about reloading. I'm sure you probably "could". But I'm not an HK guy, or a reloader. Your question just intrigued me, and my google fu is quite strong...

So I thought I would help you find the answer.

Perhaps feed it steel case? Or reloads pushing the boundaries of not being able to be reloaded any more? (Where the brass has become "disposeable") One of the negatives of steel case is the poorer gas seal compared to brass. Perhaps with the stepped chamber it will balance it out, and you won't destroy your brass for your other guns?
    Last edited by Asmodeus6; February 21st, 2012 at 08:46 PM.

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by Asmodeus6 View Post
    It's not fluting. It's a stepped chamber.

I looked around and couldn't find any American barrels to drop in for your P30.
    Perhaps there is a cheaper option out there somewhere that you can just swap out to use instead? I'm sure your original P30 barrel will fetch a pretty penny from someone. Might even pay for the replacement.

?

Not sure about reloading. I'm sure you probably "could". But I'm not an HK guy, or a reloader. Your question just intrigued me, and my google fu is quite strong...

So I thought I would help you find the answer.

Perhaps feed it steel case? Or reloads pushing the boundaries of not being able to be reloaded any more? (Where the brass has become "disposeable") One of the negatives of steel case is the poorer gas seal compared to brass. Perhaps with the stepped chamber it will balance it out, and you won't destroy your brass for your other guns?
    I just going by what the H&K rep called it, I agree stepped sounds much more appropriate. My concern with reloading the brass is all the added stress the brass is being put through, especially at the head of the case. Just seems like after a few reloads you would have a good chance of head separation. Oh well, it is not my gun. Sounds like a great idea for those who do not reload.

Well, it doesn't destroy the cases. Witness disconnect.

I know people who reload brass cases from a P-Series HK.

Let me correct the employee you spoke to, that way you have a good understanding of what chamber flutes are:

Flutes are lengthwise cuts in the chamber, and are featured in the P7...not any of the USP or P-Series.

These flutes are used to ensure ejection of the brass even if the extractor fails. After firing, gas goes into the flutes and pops out the brass. HK made a big marketing effort out of this with the P7, and filmed an extractor-less P7 functioning just fine.

Here's a video showing it. Skip ahead to 1:07, and at 1:22 they show the actual flutes. At 1:52 they show firing without an extractor.
    HK P7 Part 3