Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Juniata County)

Default Howa 1500, 24" .223 familiarization shoot

I picked up a Howa a few weeks ago. It has a 24" varmint contour barrel with 1:12 twist. The twist put me off at first, but I planned on using 40-52 grain bullets for groundhogs and other small vermin. The twist rate would be fine for those weights. The second "problem" was the trigger. It has a distinct twp-stage feel, and the second stage has noticeable creep before the sear disengages. The stock, while not as flimsy as the Savage injected mold job, did have considerable flex. Last week I installed homemade steel pillars, a second sling swivel, and filled the forend with steel epoxy to lessen the flex a little. There is still minor contact between the barrel and very end of the forend, more on that later.

I mounted a Burris Fullfield II 3-9x40 in Weaver rings, and bore sighted using a clay pigeon at 100 yards. Today was a beautiful mid-40's day with light variable breeze. I loaded up 3 rounds of Black Hills 52 gr OTM, and let them rip...

These were 8" from point of aim, but what a group (.353" CTC)! I know, it's only 3 shots, but with a 7 year old along too I had to divide attention and help him shoot too. Anyway, after several scope adjustments I shot a few pigeons at 100 yards and learned how much hold-over would be needed at various ranges from 25-350. The following group was the last I shot today, .390" CTC, close to POA. I guess the trigger wasn't the problem I anticipated it being.

I am looking foward to finishing the scope adjustments, putting a better trigger under it, and shooting off something other than a bipod. For the cost of this rifle, it is a solid investment. With a few DIY touches that cost a whopping $15, this thing is an excellent varmint rifle. Now, about the stock and barrel contact...it may shoot better without it. At this point, however, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." The only thing that intrigues me is the Axiom stock modified into a folder. I also want to see how the Black Hills 50 gr V-Max shoots in it, and get it suppressor ready. I am contemplating the WTHBY-V trigger from Rifle Basix. I have used their products before and was very happy with them. This promises to be a fun summer chasing Pennsylvania's most popular self-erecting target.
    Last edited by Hersh5317; June 10th, 2012 at 06:18 PM.
    Most of being smart is knowing what you are dumb at.

(Jefferson County)

Default Re: Howa 1500, 26" .223 familiarization shoot

I sure as hell wouldn't complain about a group like that.

My old S&W 1500(a rebranded Howa 1500) chambered in .222Rem would shoot some really nice groups too. ...but I was stupid and sold it off to get car parts.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Northampton County)

That'll do. Look out hogs!

(Juniata County)

Decided to put my spare Sightron 4-16x42 on it today. What better reason to go shooting than to make a reason, right? I got it dialed in and popping those orange discs at 300 got boring, so I pulled out the .308 and tried a ram silhouette at 700. Splashed short 3 times and only had 10 rounds. The rest went into pigeons at 300. Another wonderful day.

(Juniata County)

Got it back from the 'smith today. He couldn't get the barrel off to thread for a suppressor. No marks on it and the witness marks on the action and barrel are still lined up. I knew it would be a bear and glad he knew what was beyond his comfort zone. Called another one and described the issue and was told "No problem, I'll get it done." Put the Rifle Basix WTHBY-V trigger on it since that arrived in the meantime and that sickening grin of glee took control of my face. I can't wait to get this project ready to rock and roll in the fields this summer with the mute button on. Three more weeks should do it.