Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Bucks County)

Default Took my mother to the range for the first time, Ammo review, Sub 2000 review

So I recently purchased a Kel Tec Sub 2000 and I could not wait to try it out. As I was on the phone with my mother this morning she mentioned to me that she wanted to get a gun for self defense. I loaded up a bag of goodies and told her I was taking her shooting! My main purpose was to let her try a variety of sizes of hand guns to let her get an idea of how size, weight, and caliber effects the shooting experience to help her choose later. I started her out on the Ruger MKIII 22/45 and once she got her grip consistent she started enjoying herself. Then I pulled out the Glock 23 which she didn't like. I want to mention that this time out I had a few failure to ejects with the Blazer Aluminum ammo. Then I let her try a Glock 27 which she also didn't like. Next I pulled out my Kel Tec P3AT and surprisingly she loved it. Most people hate shooting this one, and I will ad that it shot flawlessly since day one. Well by now she was just shooting away and actually got better at the P3AT than me. So Finally I pulled out my new never fired Kel Tec Sub2000. This jammed constantly on almost every shot. I noticed the Blazer Aluminum cases that caused the jams were split/ripped looking. I switched to Federal Brass and it immediately ran flawlessly no matter how fast I pulled the trigger. So now my mother wants a Kel Tec PF9 and she couldn't stop talking about the next time we go. It's a little bigger than the P3AT with actual sites and she was actually looking at it before we went in the range. I also told her if she buys it and doesn't like it I will buy it off her for full price. I also realized that the Blazer Aluminum isn't really that good. I have used it in the past but I do believe these failures were caused in part by that ammo. One thing I notice about this ammo is that the aluminum cases sort of bind on each other because of the texture of the aluminum. I will also say I think the Sub2000 is awesome! When I got home and started cleaning all my guns I noticed a piece inside the Sub2000 that caused the Blazer Aluminum to split/rip the way it did. Just a combo of that gun and the aluminum case does not get along. I am just hoping it was also the Blazer Aluminum causing the 3 failures I had with the Glock 23. Here are some pics. Just wanted to share a day at the range with you all.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Took my mother to the range for the first time, Ammo review, Sub 2000 review

Just found that Kel Tec says not to use aluminum cased ammo.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

(Indiana County)

Default Re: Took my mother to the range for the first time, Ammo review, Sub 2000 review

When in doubt, read the instructions.

Yes, we all suffer that fault. It must be genetic for males.

Thumbs up Re: Took my mother to the range for the first time, Ammo review, Sub 2000 review

Good job Mom and good job to you OP for helping another new shooter join our ranks.

(Monroe County)

Hey nice assortment of Guns man, and nice of you to take your Mom shooting, proves that moms can be fun at the range too, glad she had a blast (pun intended) at the range,.

Yes the Kel Tecs are quite suitable for a middle aged or older woman because they fire from a locked breach instead of a blowback breach.