Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Lebanon County)

Default First handgun purchase delay

I have been searching for days and have not found an answer to my question, so i apologize if this is addressed in another forum and i missed it.

I attempted to purchase my first handgun last Friday. To my dismay i was put in "research" status. I can't imagine any reason that i would be denied, however i have been reading about PICS delay nightmares that people have experienced, like being in research for 15 days then being automatically denied. As i am coming to realize late November was a bad time to try my first handgun purchase. I would imagine that PICS is really busy, and I know the gun shop is. I have tried to call them a few times, and I have a really hard time even getting though on the phone.

My question is, do I have a better chance of getting denied at this time of year simply because the PICS operator doesn't have time to research my case properly, or is it possible that if PICS can't get the gun shop on the phone in a timely manor will they give up, or just let the delay time expire, thus denying me in the process.

I was so excited to purchase for the first time, and now i'm getting really nervous that i am going to get denied simply because this time of year is so busy. I am on day 7 of my delay, so maybe I just need to relax and be patient.

Does anyone have any insight or experience with delays during this time of year? Could anyone either help me prepare for the worst (denial), or put my mind at ease?

(Philadelphia County)

Default Re: First handgun purchase delay

Quote Originally Posted by gunnoob View Post
    I have been searching for days and have not found an answer to my question, so i apologize if this is addressed in another forum and i missed it.

I attempted to purchase my first handgun last Friday. To my dismay i was put in "research" status. I can't imagine any reason that i would be denied, however i have been reading about PICS delay nightmares that people have experienced, like being in research for 15 days then being automatically denied. As i am coming to realize late November was a bad time to try my first handgun purchase. I would imagine that PICS is really busy, and I know the gun shop is. I have tried to call them a few times, and I have a really hard time even getting though on the phone.

My question is, do I have a better chance of getting denied at this time of year simply because the PICS operator doesn't have time to research my case properly, or is it possible that if PICS can't get the gun shop on the phone in a timely manor will they give up, or just let the delay time expire, thus denying me in the process.

I was so excited to purchase for the first time, and now i'm getting really nervous that i am going to get denied simply because this time of year is so busy. I am on day 7 of my delay, so maybe I just need to relax and be patient.

Does anyone have any insight or experience with delays during this time of year? Could anyone either help me prepare for the worst (denial), or put my mind at ease?
    i was placed in research last october . I filed a challenge form and had a denial reversed

good luck

(Chester County)

Basically you're dealing with government bureaucracy at it's best. If they say "approx 7-10 days" you can expect 2 weeks. These people don't care about doing a good job because they know that, unless they intentionally kill someone in the course of work, their job is secure thanks to their union. Think about it like this, the attitudes of the DMV aren't the exception they're the rule.

(Cumberland County)

Wink Re: First handgun purchase delay

being put in research is not a big deal. it happens for many reasons. if you know you are clean there is nothing to worry about. the worst part is the wait, be patient. just several scenarios that could have happened: system down at time of app., similar info to another individual that,s not allowed to own. your info not readily available. yes if you are wrongfully denied there is a system in place to make it right. ask your dealer for a challenge form if this happens and start the process. also the dealer is not given the reason for a denial so do not give him a hard time about it.

(Lebanon County)

Red Dog, rest assured, I'm not calling the shop everyday and giving them a hard time, like i have seen suggested in other forums. I definitely understand that they are as frustrated by frivolous delays as i am. After all their loosing money. When i mentioned that i tried to call a few times, i needed to give them my cell number rather than my home number i had originally given them. However it did take me 3 trys before i got through, so while sitting on hold i starting thinking, what if i was a PICS operator calling with an approval. I would probably just give up (like silkworm mentioned it seems like there isn't much dedication when it comes to government employees) and let the approval expire. I'm hoping that's not the case, or maybe a PICS operator doesn't follow the same contact methods a customer would use.

(Delaware County)

Do you have a common name? Could be a mixup in the DOB, even one digit off? By the way, did you supply your social sec. #. Yea I know, some do not like giving it, but it can clear mix-ups. Besides, if the bureaucrats wanted it, they could find it and in your case, if it was not given, they will know it after the research.

(Cumberland County)

Wink Re: First handgun purchase delay

gunnoob, just letting you know i was not busting your chops on giving the dealer a hard time. that was not my thought at all. you would be surprised at how some people get when this kind of thing happens. seems like nobody has any patience anymore. i am sure things will work out for you. please let us share your excitement when you do get this first one. hope your shooting soon, red dog

(Centre County)

Here's some info about the Research process, PLEASE read it carefully:

Research Response
    Certain situations will prevent a background check from being approved or denied at the time of the initial call. Possible circumstances which may result in a transaction being delayed for research include: Potentially prohibiting records that require additional information or clarification, poor response time on a particular database or a database that is temporarily out of service. If this condition occurs, the FFL calling the PICS will be informed that the background check cannot be completed at this time and that more research must be done before a final determination can be made. The FFL should then inform the customer of the situation.

Under research status, the firearm dealer cannot let the prospective purchaser or transferee take possession of any firearm. It should be noted that every effort is made to complete research on an individual as soon as possible. Immediately upon completion of the research, the operator is required to call the dealer to give the final decision. It may take as long as 15 days for an operator to obtain the information needed to provide a final decision.

A Pennsylvania firearm dealer cannot transfer a firearm to a non-licensee until the receive an approval number from a PICS representative.

Researched Approvals
    As soon as an operator determines that an individual placed in research may be approved they will contact the dealer. Once an approval number is given to a dealer it is only good until the close of business on the day it is given. In most case, the customer is no longer in the store so the dealer is given the option to call back for the approval number after he has contacted the customer. Under these circumstances, the approval number will be held a maximum of one week. Therefore, if a dealer is called Monday with an approval, the number will be held until midnight the following Monday. If the dealer is unable to contact the customer within this time frame, a new background check must be initiated.

The PICS people WILL NOT cancel an approval if they can't get through to the gun shop, they will keep trying.

It doesn't matter about the time of year, it can happen any time.

The PICS operator does not do the research. If the computer tells the operator you have been put into research, a research case is started and they have specific operators/investigators that do the research. Once it has been approved or denied, the operator/investigator is the one to call the gun shop.

If it ends up being denied, the gun shop should give you a challenge form and tell you it must be to the PSP within 30 days. If you are denied and the person at the gun shop doesn't give you the form, get the manager or owner, the shop is required to give you the form and explain what goes on. Once you fill out the form and send it in, the PSP also has a set timetable to respond to you with why you were denied or to reverse the denial.

I wouldn't keep calling the gun shop, they will get back to you when PICS gets back to them. If you are going to call, call on day 5, day 10 and on day 14. The gun shop can call the PICS people anytime to ask for updates, but you can't. I have had a PICS investigator call me to see if it could go to day 16 (the person was approved but because of the situation they couldn't get me the approval number until day 16), the customer said ok, and the next day the investigator called me with the approval number and the cusotmer left with his new gun.

Hope this helps explain it.
    Last edited by Xringshooter; November 23rd, 2011 at 09:10 PM.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Allegheny County)

GN,

I'm an FFL in Pittsburgh. People go into research sometimes. Usually it is the first time they purchase a firearm. In my experience; either you'll hear back pretty quickly that you are approved or they will wait 15 days and then deny you or leave you as undetermined which is still a denial.

They'll give you a challenge form which you'll want to fill out and submit. In nearly all cases, you'll get a reversal and be just fine. You'll want to keep your reversal letter with you for any future gun purchases in case you have another problem.

You can rest assured that this would have happened regardless of what time of the year you tried to purchase... It kind of stinks, but you should only have this problem one time and never again.

(Lebanon County)

Thanks everyone for the replies.

Red dog, no offense taken here. You had a completely valid question. From what I've read online some people can be incessant. One guy said he called the gun shop every hour until he was approved.

No call yet tonight, and since tomorrow is thanksgiving, I'm assuming no call tomorrow. I'm keeping my fingers crossed, but every day I get a little less optimistic.

I'm getting an lc9 (or trying to). All the reviews I read/watched were positive. The long trigger pull is mentioned in almost every one, but most say they got used to it quickly. Also the gawdy chamber indicator. But all in all it sounds like a good gun for the price.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast