Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Philadelphia County)

Default pulled over py PPD, 7 guns in the back seat, went very well

So my friend and I were heading to the range wed night. We put several of our firearms in the trunk and the rest in the back seat (I know they should all have gone in the trunk since we dont have our CCW yet). we were pulled over on washington ave about 3 min from his house in queen village and less than 3 min away from the philladelphia archery and gun club shooting range. As the 2 officers approached they noticed lots of boxes in the back seat and asked where we were going, we immediatly said shooting range and we had guns in the back seat. He asked if we were ccw holders and we both said no, then he asked if we had any guns on our person and we also said no. He explained we were pulled over for an experied registration and after my friend handed over his ID over the cops turned their backs on us, walked to their cruiser and continued with the stop as normal as if we didnt have a small arsenal with us. one small ticket for no registation and let my friend slide with not having his insurance info on him. He then said go straight to the range, then go home and clear up your registration issue and was pretty friendly.

anyway i was NOT expecting a philly cop, pulling over two 20somethings that look as suspecious as my friend and i do, on washington ave, to be as nonchalant as he was. I imagine this was a very rare ocasion and highly encourage everyone to just follow the law, keep your cars registered and hope you dont get pulled over.

(Lehigh County)

Default Re: pulled over py PPD, 7 guns in the back seat, went very well

Exactly how it should be.
    The last thing I want to do is hurt you... but believe me, it's on the damned list.

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by bmxdan View Post
    (I know they should all have gone in the trunk since we dont have our CCW yet).
    Why do you think that?
    Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.

(Delaware County)

As long as they are unloaded, guns could be in the trunk, on your lap, concealed in your clothes or taped to your forehead.

Location is irreverent with or without a LTCF in a vehicle

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by BimmerJon View Post
    As long as they are unloaded, guns could be in the trunk, on your lap, concealed in your clothes or taped to your forehead.

Location is irreverent with or without a LTCF in a vehicle
    Depending upon the exemption on which one is relying.

(8) Any person while carrying a firearm which is not loaded and is in a secure wrapper from the place of purchase to his home or place of business, or to a place of repair, sale or appraisal or back to his home or place of business, or in moving from one place of abode or business to another or from his home to a vacation or recreational home or dwelling or back, or to recover stolen property under section 6111.1(b)(4) (relating to Pennsylvania State Police), or to a place of instruction intended to teach the safe handling, use or maintenance of firearms or back or to a location to which the person has been directed to relinquish firearms under 23 Pa.C.S. § 6108 (relating to relief) or back upon return of the relinquished firearm or to a licensed dealer's place of business for relinquishment pursuant to 23 Pa.C.S § 6108.2 (relating to relinquishment for consignment sale, lawful transfer or safekeeping) or back upon return of the relinquished firearm or to a location for safekeeping pursuant to 23 Pa.C.S. § 6108.3 (relating to relinquishment to third party for safekeeping) or back upon return of the relinquished firearm.

(Delaware County)

I was speaking in terms of the OPs situation but on the topic

What constitutes a secure wrapper? A holster or bag works for me.

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by BimmerJon View Post
    What constitutes a secure wrapper? A holster or bag works for me.
    There is no statutory definition. A holster might be ok. A range bag, manufacturer's case, or other case would probably be fine. A plastic shopping bag or wrapped in a towel, maybe not.

(Philadelphia County)

They were in their respective manufacture hard cases so if that is the law maybe its why the cop wasn't too woried. I am just still supprised a philly cop was cool about anything gun related regarding that traffic stop even if we were in full compliance of the law.

I was always under the impression that guns had to be in a trunk when going to the range ( which is why I dont ride my bicycle to and from the range cause at that point I feel I am illegallly ccw in my backpack even if I make no other stops). Anyway 20ish more days till philly approves me for ccw then I will have to worry less about breaking the law.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by bmxdan View Post
    I was always under the impression that guns had to be in a trunk when going to the range ( which is why I dont ride my bicycle to and from the range cause at that point I feel I am illegallly ccw in my backpack even if I make no other stops). Anyway 20ish more days till philly approves me for ccw then I will have to worry less about breaking the law.
    It's a LTCF not a CCW (you are under no obligation to conceal).

Firearms don't have to be anywhere in particular in your case (range travel without LTCF). You could legally have them on your body. Carry in a vehicle is just that, "carry"... There is nothing in regards to OC or CC with that statute.

Your long guns... you don't need a LTCF (outside of Philly) to have them in your car. They have to be unloaded, but anyone 18+ can drive around with long guns.

(Allegheny County)

This was a refreshing change of pace from the usual "I let them piss on my rights, the constitution, and Jesus too, but it was a good stop overall" thread.

I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast