Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Taurus PT1911

(Chester County)

Default Taurus PT1911

Ok folks... I think my next firearm purchase is going to be a Taurus PT1911.

I'd like to hear from those of you who actually own one or have personally shot one.

I do not want to hear hearsay opinions.

I've never shot a 1911 model pistol before but I think it's just too sexy looking not to have one. I've read lots of good reviews of the Taurus including an August 2006 article in American Rifleman.
    Μολὼν λάβε

(Lackawanna County)

Default Re: Taurus PT1911

i get to shoot one of these occasionally. one of my co workers bought one 3 months back, so when when we go to the range, he lets me let off a coupla rounds. so far, i've put 50 through it. all i'm gonna say is, my tax refund can't come soon enough.

now, if only it came in a colt officer/defender size...

(Westmoreland County)

Well, my opinion is no secret. Use the Google search for "D-FENS" "Taurus" "1911".

Out of the box my trigger wouldn't reset. Pretty much rendered the gun useless.

Also, the safety has worked loose. I put it back in and it worked loose again. When it falls off, of course, the pin thing went flying.

Lycan offered to help me fix it. Once it warms up, I will take him up on it.

Maybe THEN I can give a better review but this was a POS out of the box.
    "Because I'm an American." - MtnJack

(Centre County)

My report is just the opposite of D-FENS. I have one and it shoots better than I can hold. So far I've put about 400-500 rounds through it (factory loads and my own reloads, both LRN and LSWC) and have had no FTF's or FTE's.

Had to get used to the Heinie Straight 8 sights but after that it put them where I pointed it.

Bought aftermarket magazines (name doesn't come to mind right now) and have had no problems.

D_FENS, maybe you got on of those dreaded Friday guns
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Westmoreland County)

I have a PT1911 and I haven't had any problems at all. It's accurate an operates perfect. I have about 500 rounds through it so far. I can't see where you could go wrong...after all it is a standard 1911 so if any part breaks, it is easily replaced. Not to mention a lifetime warranty in case something big happened to it..

The only cons I see are the thin finish on the blued model and the factory plastic grips kinda suck! Otherwise...2 thumbs up!

New AR15 Forum! www.AlphaRomeo15.org All AR, No Attitude!

(Erie County)

Mine has made one trip to the range so far and I'm quite pleased with it. I chose the stainless model as the finish on the 'blued' one didn't appeal to me. It isn't my first 1911 but it is the first one I've owned with all the extra safety features.

It has only had 12 magazines thru it so far, 2 of which where JHP Federal rounds. I had one of the supplied magazines fail to keep the slide back once empty the first time I used it. I'll likely use my Wilson Combat mags though anyways.

It happily ate up the Winchester FMJ and JHP Federals without incident. I aim to make it my full time carry pistol. I've yet to find to a DA only that I can shoot half as well as a SA.

I have more range ammo on order after cleaning out the local Walmart. I've got a few boxes of Hornady's TAP ammo that I want to try in it. I'm curious about some of the Corbon +P stuff but the manual for the Taurus doesn't recommend using +P loads.

I need to find a nice 3 slot holster for it now and add some Crimson Trace grips and I'm set

(Lawrence County)

I've shot 3 of them. They are actually quite accurate for the price. Hammers and sears have been good although fitting of the triggers and spring settings have been kind of rough. Nothing that can't be fixed quickly and easily in most cases. Nothing I haven't seen in 1911's costing 50-100% more.

When they come out with a 9mm, I will have one.

I'm still waiting to actually shoot a STI Spartan.

Lycannice1911introgunthrope

I taught Chuck Norris to bump-fire.

(Chester County)

Thanks for all of your opinions. I really do think this is going to be my purchase. Now I've just gotta save about $400 more. I'll get there eventually.

Thanks again.
    Μολὼν λάβε

(Berks County)

When they come out with a 9mm, I will have one.
    Interesting that you say that. I called Taurus today and asked if they are planning on coming out with a 9mm 1911. The guy said "Those plans have been scrapped. We will only be offering it in .45"

I don't know how reliable that info is, but it's what he said. I'm bummed.

(Beaver County)

Glad to hear all the good reviews. I knew D-Fens had problems with his. I think the stainless version is going to be my next handgun purchase.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast