Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    (Lehigh County)

Default Re: Guthsville Gun Club

just got the email about his passing: if anyone is interested, here it is:

Guthsville Rod & Gun Club
    May 10, 2012

Dear Tony,
    It is with much sorrow and compassion that we inform you Burt Schaffer passed away Wednesday, May 9th.

Burt joined Guthsville Rod & Gun Club in 1988 and was elected President at the start of 2011, serving until earlier this month. He was a Life Member.

Burt was diagnosed in March with Stage IV pancreatic cancer that eventually claimed his life. Burt had submitted his resignation for acceptance by the Board, however in light of his illness, the Board, on May 7th, unanimously agreed instead, to retire Burt for his outstanding service to the Club and with the status of "Retired President."

Megan Snyder, 1st Vice President of Guthsville Rod & Gun Club is Interim President until the election in November.

While Burt was an avid sportsman, a great fly fisherman and an accomplished shooter, he was passionate about IDPA, safety and education. He was a dedicated, progressive leader as President, who worked hard to move the gun club forward, accomplishing through teamwork, a new member safety/orientation program, a state of the art website for the Club, improved relations with key neighbors and organizations that lease the Club's ranges, conducted shooting classes, started and directed the monthly IDPA matches, clarified range rules and had signage made to improve the safety of the club, among many other projects achieved and still in the works.

Above all, Burt treated members and employees with courtesy and dignity. He strived for fairness and always, had the best interest of the Guthsville Rod & Gun Club first and foremost.

Funeral services for Burton A. Schaffer are scheduled for Friday, May 11, 2012 at
    10:00 AM at Bachman Kulik & Reinsmith at 1629 Hamilton Street, Allentown.

In lieu of flowers, we request that you make a donation in his name to either your favorite charity or a charity that you know was near and dear to him.

May he rest in peace.

On behalf of the Board of Directors for
    Guthsville Rod & Gun Club,

(Northampton County)

This is my second year as a member at the club, I was there today actually shooting my Mosin when I got the email. I never met Burt, but I've seen several improvements to the club over the last couple of years which I'm sure he played a big role in. Sad to hear of his passing

(Lehigh County)

I was also sad to hear about Burt's passing. I last talked to him at the April IDPA match. He seemed to be in good spirits at the time, but the outlook was not good. I was hoping to see him for the May match, but it was canceled, and I was pretty worried about the reason why.

He was a gentleman by any definition of the word. He was a great asset to the IDPA matches at Guthsville, and I'm glad I got to shoot with him several times last year.

RIP, Burt.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123