Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Allegheny County)

Default mkIII 22/45 magazine problem

I have 4 magazines for a Ruger MKIII 22/45 blued, integral plastic hand grip model pistol. For a year or so the magazines all worked well. Just recently the gun has trouble with just one of the magazines. The trigger will pull back but nothing happens (some times). There does not seem to be any rhyme or reason as to which number round this happens at. Some times it will fire the first round, then not the second, I will eject the round and mag, replace the round and mag, and it will fire the next 9 rounds with no problem. Another time it will fire 3, or 7,or 9 rounds and then not fire. Other times other numbers of rounds. The magazines all look identical. Very confusing. Any thoughts any body?

Default Re: mkIII 22/45 magazine problem

Have you cleaned the gun? I wouldn't ask this if it wasn't the Mark III. A lot of people kick around the idea of cleaning sparingly because it is soo difficult to take down. If you run more than 100 rounds through it it needs to be cleaned.

clean the mags as well

(Bucks County)

I have a MKIII 22/45. If the slide is forward and you put the mag in you have to push it up really hard for it to lock in. You will hear the click. If you don't pay attention to this then it will fire until the mag moves which could be on either round. When the slide is locked back the mag locks in easily but when it is forward you really have to push it and pay attention.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

(Tioga County)

Sounds like everything needs a good cleaning, including the magazines. There are a lot of linkages and springs which tend to get crud in them. All solved by an hour or so of disassembly and reassembly.

--Phil

(Delaware County)

Yes, clean the gun and the mags. Oil/lube the gun but the mags stay dry-it might help to wipe the mags, internally, with rubbing alcohol.

Best regards,
    chalmitch
    "If you believe the term "militia" means the National Guard then you must believe that freedom of speech is reserved for the Government Printing Office." - Some guy, 2/2007

(Dauphin County)

Since you are having trouble with just the one magazine, you may want to dis-assemble it, inspect and clean it. I had the follower in one of my magazines crack and start giving me problems. The crack isn't visible without taking the magazine apart. The cause of the crack is releasing the follower and letting it snap to the top with only the follower button to stop it.

Bob

(Allegheny County)

Thank you for the responses. The gun is cleaned after every outing,(fairly adept at take down and reassembly after many sessions). I have also had the mag's apart and cleaned since this problem began (not their first cleaning). I always load with an open bolt, and the mag's all seat very well. I have also tried different types of ammo during several outings to confirm that the problem still exists. I will pull the follower tomorrow and inspect it very well for any cracks although I use a little red slip on loading helper which keeps the mag's from experiencing any undo abuse. I feel that I take reasonable care of the gun and that is why it is so confusing to me. I will post any findings.

(Lawrence County)

Are you getting any marks, light firing pin strikes, on the case head ? Can you hear the firing pin drop/click. Check out the rebound tab and spring, #19 in the parts blow-up for proper orientation. Make sure the chanel for the firing pin is also clean.
    Last edited by 2Late45; February 19th, 2012 at 02:43 PM.
    For those who've never fought for it, the price of freedom shall never be known.

Sounds like you have done more than expected in terms of care and cleaning for this pistol. Hope everything works out for you.

(Allegheny County)

Well I disassembled all the mags and the gun down to bare bones and could not find anything broken or cracked. I ordered and installed all new springs on the gun. After two trips to the range and many hundreds of rounds fired, all seems well. Still not sure of what the absolute problem was but as long as it is working properly I am satisfied.