Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (York County)

Default Mailing firearm back to manufacturer

Does anyone know the legal rules for fedex'ing a firearm back to manufacturer. I know ammo is a NoNo. anyway i'm probably going to have to mail my PT1911 AR to Taurus for warranty repair, but what is the law on that? Or can i just call them to get a tag and send it Fedex?

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: Mailing firearm back to manufacturer

I have added another copy of the shipping sticky to this forum also.

http://forum.pafoa.org/pennsylvania-...ten-asked.html
    "Oderint Dum Metuant" - BMFH

"Tact is for people not witty enough to use sarcasm"

Note: any whingeing crazy that hits my PM inbox will be deleted without reply

(Centre County)

Default Re: Mailing firearm back to manufacturer

Quote Originally Posted by crzynate View Post
    Does anyone know the legal rules for fedex'ing a firearm back to manufacturer. I know ammo is a NoNo. anyway i'm probably going to have to mail my PT1911 AR to Taurus for warranty repair, but what is the law on that? Or can i just call them to get a tag and send it Fedex?
    I would call Taurus first and explain what is not working and the reason you want it fixed under warranty. They should either send you a prepaid label for you to put on the package, or they will issue whats called a "call tag" which means they call FedEx or UPS and tell them to pick the package up at your address.

When you pack the gun, make sure it doesn't have any ammo in, on or around it. Pack it securely so it doesn't rattle around in the box. And most importantly, put a letter in with the gun stating exactly what you think/know is wrong and the address to ship it back to you. Use your address, not the address of your local gun shop. (we have just discussed this type of matter in another thread).

If they do no issue you a label or call tag, you have two ways to ship the gun.

1. You have it boxed up and take it to FedEx or UPS and ship it yourself. It will need to go however they tell you (typically overnight). DO NOT have anything on or allow anyone to put anything on the outside of the box that would tell someone that there is a gun inside.

2. You can take it to your LGS and see if they will ship it for you. Typically this is a cheaper way to do it because an FFL can ship via USPS where a non-FFL cannot. When the gun is repaired it will either be sent directly back to you or to your LGS where you will pick it up.

Now, if you can find out from the place you bought it where they got it from (their wholesaler) there may be an easier way. If you bought it from your LGS and they got it from Davidsons (Gallery of Guns) then it has a warranty from Davidsons also. Your LGS can call them and they should send out a new gun for you and the LGS will send them your non working gun for them to deal with Taurus.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member