Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Delaware County)

Default Transporting firearm to range

Hello Everyone. I am a new gun owner in Delco, currently without a concealed carry permit and have some questions about legally transporting my firearm to my local range.

PA law appears very clear in terms of not being able to transport a firearm in a vehicle without a license to carry. Gun owners I have spoken with along with shop owners I have purchased from have told me it is ok to transport a firearm to and from a range if the gun is cased and unloaded in the vehicle separate from the ammunition. As of late I have kept my firearm and shooting supplies (eyes, ears, targets, etc) in a range bag in the back of my car (SUV so no trunk) and my ammo can underneath my glove box. I'm curious to know if I am within compliance by doing so or if I should not be transporting my pistol without a concealed carry license.

Even though I dont intend to carry I think I will apply for a permit just to make life easier and not leave myself vulnerable to LEO's who interpret the law differently than intended. However, I do want to be sure I'm not leaving myself open to potential legal issues in the interim.

Thanks in advance for any replies,
    MrR

(Philadelphia County)

Default Re: Transporting firearm to range

Quote Originally Posted by Mrrogers191980 View Post
    Hello Everyone. I am a new gun owner in Delco, currently without a concealed carry permit and have some questions about legally transporting my firearm to my local range.

PA law appears very clear in terms of not being able to transport a firearm in a vehicle without a license to carry. Gun owners I have spoken with along with shop owners I have purchased from have told me it is ok to transport a firearm to and from a range if the gun is cased and unloaded in the vehicle separate from the ammunition. As of late I have kept my firearm and shooting supplies (eyes, ears, targets, etc) in a range bag in the back of my car (SUV so no trunk) and my ammo can underneath my glove box. I'm curious to know if I am within compliance by doing so or if I should not be transporting my pistol without a concealed carry license.

Even though I dont intend to carry I think I will apply for a permit just to make life easier and not leave myself vulnerable to LEO's who interpret the law differently than intended. However, I do want to be sure I'm not leaving myself open to potential legal issues in the interim.

Thanks in advance for any replies,
    MrR
    Looks good to me as long as your guns are in a separate container from your ammo you are fine also be careful because the law states that you may transport firearms to and from specific locations . This means no stops in between . Its easy enough to get a license in delco just go apply

(Philadelphia County)

just keep them in separate parts of the vehicle . you will be fine

(Delaware County)

welcome to the forum. like other said keep in a case and ammo seperate and you should be good. getting a LTCF is good idea.

(Delaware County)

Your travel MUST BE directly to and from range, don't even stop for gas.

Firearm must be unloaded. That means no bullet in chamber and loaded mags in separate container or pocket of same bag. Loose ammo can be with gun.

Gun can be anywhere in vehicle, doesn't have to be locked up or in truck. Technically you could have it on your person in a holster, etc.

Get your LTCF, won't have to worry about it

(Delaware County)

http://www.portal.state.pa.us/portal...&css=L2&mode=2

Are there exceptions to carrying a firearm without a Pennsylvania License to Carry?

A License to Carry Firearms is issued to carry a firearm concealed on one’s person or in a vehicle within this Commonwealth. Any person who carries a firearm concealed on or about his person except in his place of abode or fixed place of business without a valid and lawfully issued license commits a felony of the third degree.

A person who is otherwise eligible to possess a valid license under this chapter but carries a firearm in any vehicle or any person who carries a firearm concealed on or about his person, except in his place of abode or fixed place of business, without a valid and lawfully issued license and has not committed any other criminal violation commits a misdemeanor of the first degree.

Listed below are exceptions as outlined in 18 Pa.C.S. § 6106. (2) (b) Exceptions:
    1) Constables, sheriffs, prison or jail wardens, or their deputies, policemen of this Commonwealth or its political subdivisions, or other law-enforcement officers.
    2) Members of the army, navy or marine corps of the United States or of the National Guard or organized reserves when on duty.
    3) The regularly enrolled members of any organization duly organized to purchase or receive such weapons from the United States or from this Commonwealth.
    4) Any persons engaged in target shooting with rifle, pistol, or revolver, if such persons are at or are going to or from their places of assembly or target practice and if, while going to or from their places of assembly or target practice, the firearm is not loaded.
    5) Officers or employees of the United States duly authorized to carry a concealed firearm.
    6) Agents, messengers and other employees of common carriers, banks, or business firms, whose duties require them to protect moneys, valuables and other property in the discharge of such duties. (Individuals carrying a firearm as an incidence of their employment are required to be certified through the Lethal Weapons Training Act requirements set forth in 22 P.S. § 44(b).
    7) Any person engaged in the business of manufacturing, repairing, or dealing in firearms, or the agent or representative of any such person, having in his possession, using or carrying a firearm in the usual or ordinary course of such business.
    8) Any person while carrying a firearm which is not loaded and is in a secure wrapper from the place of purchase to his home or place of business, or to a place of repair, sale or appraisal or back to his home or place of business, or in moving from one place of abode or business to another or from his home to a vacation or recreational home or dwelling or back, or to recover stolen property under section 6111.1(b)(4) (relating to Pennsylvania State Police) or to a place of instruction intended to teach the safe handling, use or maintenance of firearms, or back to a location to which the person has been directed to relinquish firearms under 23 Pa.C.S. § 6108 (relating to relief) or back upon return of the relinquished firearm or to a licensed dealer’s place of business for relinquishment pursuant to 23 Pa.C.S. § 6108.2 (relating to relinquishment for consignment sale, lawful transfer or safekeeping) or back upon return of the relinquished firearm or to a location for safekeeping pursuant to 23 Pa.C.S. § 6108.3 (relating to relinquishment to third party for safekeeping) or back upon return of the relinquished firearm.
    9) Persons licensed to hunt, take furbearers or fish in this Commonwealth, if such persons are actually hunting, taking furbearers or fishing or are going to the places where they desire to hunt, take furbearers or fish or returning from such places.
    10) Persons training dogs, if such persons are actually training dogs during the regular training season.
    11) Any person while carrying a firearm in any vehicle, which person possesses a valid and lawfully issued license for that firearm which has been issued under the laws of the United States or any other state.
    12) A person who has a lawfully issued license to carry a firearm pursuant to section 6109 (relating to licenses) and that said license expired within six months prior to the date of arrest and that the individual is otherwise eligible for renewal of the license.
    13) Any person who is otherwise eligible to possess a firearm under this chapter and who is operating a motor vehicle which is registered in the person's name or the name of a spouse or parent and which contains a firearm for which a valid license has been issued pursuant to section 6109 to the spouse or parent owning the firearm.
    14) A person lawfully engaged in the interstate transportation of a firearm as defined under 18 U.S.C. § 921(a)(3) (relating to definitions) in compliance with 18 U.S.C. § 926A (relating to interstate transportation of firearms).
    15) Any person who possesses a valid and lawfully issued license or permit to carry a firearm which has been issued under the laws of another state, regardless of whether a reciprocity agreement exists between the Commonwealth and the state under section 6109(k), provided:
    (i) The state provides a reciprocal privilege for individuals licensed to carry firearms under section 6109.
    (ii) The Attorney General has determined that the firearm laws of the state are similar to the firearm laws of this Commonwealth.

(Note that before an exception would be granted under numbers 9 and 10, the person must obtain a valid Sportsman’s Firearm Permit from the county treasurer.)
    Not sure where the "don't stop for anything" people suggest is written, or if it's written or just an interpretation of going "to or from".

(Chester County)

i've often wondered this myself, the range i frequent is 45 minutes away and i sometimes have to stop to take care of other business along the way. Of course i do have my LTCF so its a non-issue but still makes me curious how a LEO would interpret that law.
    ~ Lost :having gone astray or missed the way; bewildered as to place, direction, etc.

(Delaware County)

If you stop at a wawa you are no longer considered going to the range you are considered going to the wawa and thus in violation. At least thats how the DA will interpret it. With the way it is written i'd say that interpretation is correct. However, I take issue with the way it is written.

(Northampton County)

As mentioned the firearm and ammo do NOT have to be separate. The firearm must be unloaded. Which means there is no ammo in the chamber or fixed magazine, or in the case of a loaded removable magazine, the loaded removable magazine must be in a separate container or a separate compartment if the container has multiple compartments.

Quote Originally Posted by soberbyker View Post

Not sure where the "don't stop for anything" people suggest is written, or if it's written or just an interpretation of going "to or from".
    Maybe it's confusion with the federal transport law thing; although it doesn't say that either. It apparently does allow for gas and food and other types of trip interruptions.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast