Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Berks County)

Default FREE Amateur Radio Lessons begin March 24

Here is a chance to learn about Ham radio ( Amateur 'Radio ) and the classes will help you pass the test for your license ( in the event you opt to take the test).Classes are Saturday mornings starting Mar. 24 at the Berks County Fire Training Center on RT 10 . Call Ed Morgan for information 717.445.6229 .

Default Re: FREE Amateur Radio Lessons begin March 24

How many classes must you take? Was thinking about getting the license.

(Berks County)

There maybe 5 or 6 classes. Missing some classes is no problem because you can ask for extra help and read the materials assigned to keep up. Call the posted number for more accurate information. There is also an opportunity to learn enough material to pass the second licence ( General), if you opt to do so.

(Allegheny County)

These seem like an interesting idea. I got my tech ticket a few months back and have a few 2 meter radios, but I don't use them as much as I thought. I really want to try some of the digital modes and hf. I also want to combine a few hikes with a qrp radio.

Anyways, I didn't have much trouble with the tech test but I was familiar with a lot of the principles beforehand. The class probably would have helped me retain more of the info over the long term. I started studying for My general but got distracted by having a kid and moving. I think I'll have to break out my books again.

KB3WDG

(Berks County)

QRP seems to be a favorite for portable systems....5 watts makes a light pack.
    Presently I am attempting to put together a system on wheels 2) mono crystal 250 watts( diodes included) with charge controller ( not the mppt..too expensive), "watts up ",( 2 )Marine batteries ( not H ions...too expensive).
    I do not have the background for this. I have little time to research but this is what I came up with so far. Also this is good for operating 10 out of 24 hrs with 240 wh. To keep 1/2 life on my batteries I took 240Wh x 2.5 ( recommended by an ARES/RACES operator) to suggest 600Wh.

If you have any suggestions please write.

For a good look at QRP solar and portable check out http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NfUxD...feature=relmfu

There is a great article in QST magazine for larger radios on Solar : FEBRUARY 2012 pg 37. I will read this tonight in hopes of finding more information.

Good luck on getting the General License. It is worth having and the Ham community is cohesive and supportive. The instructor who is giving the lessons is remarkable in the field and a great teacher willing to make matters simple and crystal ( excuse the pun).