Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (York County)

Default Took my Kimber Solo to the range today...

Okay, I am not even close to either a gun expert or eloquent, but here's my range report on the Kimber Solo:

Was a little nervous that I bought a finicky pistol. I read reports of early models and their issues. I also read many reports of flawlessness with later made Solo Carry pistols. I read on Kimber's site that they designed it to run on 124-147 grain high pressure, high quality JHP ammo. Makes sense, as a small gun like that might be hard to make to digest everything. I fugured if it ran what I wanted to carry reliably (100% reliably), then that would be good enough for me. I gambled and bought one.

In a nutshell, i was pleasantly surprised to find that every load I tried fed, fired, and ejected flawlessly through this little wonder 9. It was accurate, reliable, and recoil was manageable (much more so than a Kahr PM9 that I owned previously). It was actually fun to shoot!

After reading those mixed reviews of earlier production Solo's, I wanted to try many different rounds to see what worked well. I was hopeful, but still a bit surprised when the little pistol functioned flawlessly with everything I fed it.

Here's a list of what I shot:
    Speer Gold Dot short barrel 124 grain plus P jhp 40 rounds
    Speer Gold Dot 115 grain jhp 20 rounds
    Federal 9bple 115 grain +P+ jhp 28 rounds
    Winchester 147 grain SXT jhp 7 rounds
    Blazer Brass 115 FMJ 50 rounds
    Remington Golden Saber 124 grain +P JHP 25 rounds
    Federal Hydrashok jhp low recoil personal defense (can't remember weight) 20 rounds

The gun was always loaded 6+1, as I intend on carrying it, except when I was using the last of what I had.

Yes, they all worked. The 9 bple +p+ stuff was quite snappy, but everything cycled and fired well.

I would say from my experience and that frim above posts, that the early issues have been resolved. This is a fine carry weapon.

All rounds were fired offhand at 7 yards and accuracy was exceptional for the size of the pistol.

Default Re: Took my Kimber Solo to the range today...

Good review and good to hear that they have worked out the early issues! I've been wanting one of these as well, but was put off by the hit or miss reliablity they started with. I'm going to have to put it back on the list.

Thanks for the review!

Justin
    Life has a melody. Not great, not terrible.

(Berks County)

+1 good review, but needs pics! If I had the $ I would pick one up!

(Beaver County)

It's good to hear a positive Kimber review. They've been getting bashed lately. I have three .45 Kimbers and love 'em. I'd add a Solo if the IRS didn't have their hand in my pocket.

(York County)

I guess they deserved a bashing for not getting the kinks out before putting them on the shelves. Seems to be the norm now with even the most reputable companies. Bad trend

As for a pic, I have only one: