Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Chester County)

Default input on handgun hunting

Hey guys, just got a ruger blackhawk .357. heard these were half decent for hunting hogs and white tailed deer. has anybody heard or have personal stories on whether the blackhawk .357 is a reliable hunting revolver?

(Pike County)

Default Re: input on handgun hunting

Could work for deer with the heavier bullets but I would consider it a little light for a large boar. .44 mag would be a better choice for both in my book. YOu could always go larger but I have never felt under armed with the .44 for hunting.

(Chester County)

.357 Mag. is just fine. I killed a number of wild russian boar with it when I was 19 or 20. I took one that was about 350 lb. or so. That was up close, though. I'd keep it inside of 40-50 yards, and be prepared to empty your gun if you draw a charge.

Whitetail a bit further, depending on whether you're scoped, and how accurate you and your load are. Say maybe 75 yards for whitetail with a 180 gr. cast bullet as an outside limit. Basically your limit is going to be whatever distance you can hold a 4" circle at, in the position you'll be shooting from, and that's still within 75 yards. Unless you're shooting some goofy-ass 12" barrel so you can keep your velocity up out to 100 yards or so.

I know more than a few guys who take whitetail with 9mm (not in Pa.) within 40 yards, so you'll be just fine with a hot .357.

With any handgun hunt, remember, you're going to be more limited by your own ability. Handgun hunting is hard, regardless of caliber.
    The material presented herein is for informational purposes only, is not guaranteed to be correct, complete, or up to date, does not constitute legal advice and does not establish an attorney-client relationship. You should NOT act or rely on any information in this post or e-mail without seeking the advice of an attorney YOU have retained.

In plain English, while I am an attorney, I'm NOT your attorney, and I'm NOT giving you legal advice.

(Centre County)

Three guys in my hunting camp carry 357 BH's when deer hunting. They carry for several reasons; for finishing shots if needed, or for a close shot if they are just beating the brush to get the deer moving.

Personally I carry a 7 1/2" Ruger Redhawk in 44 Mag or a BH in 45LC (depending on what I'm looking to do that day).
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member