Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Smile Looking to get new CC

Planning on getting a Taurus 809 or the 845, been watching youtube viseos and reading reveiws, but I figure I get some advice here... Any thoughts, I'm leaning toward the Taurus 809 because the highter capasity mag.

Thanks, looking forward to your comments.
    Last edited by eng63; February 16th, 2012 at 08:31 AM. Reason: typo

(Monroe County)

Default Re: Looking to get new CC

I have an 809. I bought it when they first came out. It has adequate combat accuracy and the capacity is high. The decocker is a great feature but the trigger is a bit too mushy for my liking. All-in-all, I'm not unhappy with my purchase. I don't feel I have enough rounds thru it to allow me to consider it "carry-able".

(Perry County)

Quote Originally Posted by eng63 View Post
    Planning on getting a Taurus 809 or the 845, been watching youtube viseos and reading reveiws, but I figure I get some advice here... Any thoughts, I'm leaning toward the Taurus 809 because the highter capasity mag. You will be extremely lucky to live long enough to get to the extra capacity if, as a civilian, you have to defend your life. I would always look for reliability first, carry and conceal ability second, functional accuracy a close third, capacity is a distant 4th, of course I generally carry a J or K frame.

[COLOR="rgb(139, 0, 0)"]Good luck and hope ;you get one you like.[/COLOR]

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by Rundownfid View Post
    You will be extremely lucky to live long enough to get to the extra capacity if, as a civilian, you have to defend your life. I would always look for reliability first, carry and conceal ability second, functional accuracy a close third, capacity is a distant 4th, of course I generally carry a J or K frame.
    Could you cite a source that supports this information? Everything I've read on the subject of personal combat suggests that, in a frantic defensive firefight, capacity is a key factor in the ideal handgun. This notion has been widely spread by defensive firearm expert and instructor Gabe Suarez and has been mostly supported by first hand accounts of defensive handgun encounters.

Link to one article by Mr. Suarez:http://forum.bodybuilding.com/archiv...106430131.html

Also I would have to say that in my own personal experience from the military, the first few seconds of a gunfight tend to see a lot of ammo exchanged with a very low hit percentage. And that's not even considering a multiple assailant scenario. I'd just like to know where your information comes from.
    The Army was the biggest mistake I've ever been proud to make.

Quote Originally Posted by cake0110 View Post
    Could you cite a source that supports this information? Everything I've read on the subject of personal combat suggests that, in a frantic defensive firefight, capacity is a key factor in the ideal handgun. This notion has been widely spread by defensive firearm expert and instructor Gabe Suarez and has been mostly supported by first hand accounts of defensive handgun encounters.

Link to one article by Mr. Suarez:http://forum.bodybuilding.com/archiv...106430131.html

Also I would have to say that in my own personal experience from the military, the first few seconds of a gunfight tend to see a lot of ammo exchanged with a very low hit percentage. And that's not even considering a multiple assailant scenario. I'd just like to know where your information comes from.
    Makes sense

Planning on getting a Taurus 809 or the 845, been watching youtube viseos and reading reveiws, but I figure I get some advice here... Any thoughts, I'm leaning toward the Taurus 809 because the highter capasity mag.

This is my op and the red letter text that was added is not mine, I have no clue why that person added it, But please stick to topic. Thank You!

(Blair County)

The red letter text was his response to your post.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by eng63 View Post

This is my op and the red letter text that was added is not mine, I have no clue why that person added it, But please stick to topic. Thank You!
    Welcome to the wonderful world of forums.

I see lots of different arguments over how important capacity is; some say that its important because people in the situation will just fire until the threat is gone and thus should have more bullets; others disagree.

I don't think its as important, but it differs from person to person. Carry what you're most comfortable with; if you feel better carrying extra rounds then carry.

Btw I carry a Bersa Thunder and have no complaints about it. Onle 7+1 rounds, but then again I have plenty of extra mags I carry . Taurus seems to have a solid reputation though.

(Perry County)

Quote Originally Posted by cake0110 View Post

The FBI statistics show that even for FBI agents the typical gunfight takes place inside of 3 yds, is over in less than 3 seconds and averages 3 shots. This is for police who go looking for criminals.
    Your article from Suarez has this : "Point Two - Private Citizen CCW Operators do not go looking for trouble. If they are called to fight it is either because they have inadvertently crossed paths with bad guys while they are doing bad guy stuff (walking in on a robbery in progress as an example), or because they have been specifically targeted and stalked (such as a carjack, or home invasion event). They will have to use extreme violence to fight off the surprise attackers. When we translate the conversion of fright and startle into a firearm application we wee that definition is high volume of fire. You will shoot a lot, and until the threat is no longer there."
    Suarez is an interesting writer, but in my opinion, he is skewed toward the military and police use of firearms. This shows in a number of ways, one example being how the police and military teach their students to square up to the adversary, very useful as it presents the chest covered in Kevlar and a trauma plate as the center of mass. My chest and I assume yours, won't be covered in kevlar. Similarly, the military uses massive fire superiority to suppress enemy fire, this is not an option for civilians, and not even much of one for most police encounters. We can not spray and pray we only hit bad guy bodies.
    So my reasoning is that having a firearm is the first necessary step. Being willing and alert enough to use it is the next big challenge. Finally using it with accuracy and finding cover, if available, is what will allow you to survive the situation (hopefully without having killed a by stander, family member, etc. But if you disagree, so be it, carry what you want.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast