Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Blair County)

Default So can we trust Gen4 Glock 9mms yet?

Been trying to get an answer from the internet for a while now, and can't seem to find one. Most of the topics regarding fixes or problems are well over a year old, and I can't seem to find anything newer.

I'm in the market for a G17. Unfortunately, the new Gen3s are also experiencing problematic extractors (apparently it wasn't just faulty recoil spring assemblies). Or maybe they're not anymore, like I said I can't find anything that's recent and conclusive. One thing that worries me is all the trouble Todd G had with his G4 G17 at the beginning of his current "torture test" series. The gun he's using seems to be running better now, but he's done all sorts of mods I don't plan on doing (three different extractors and multiple trigger jobs).

Anybody shooting a newer G17 with a sizeable amount of trouble-free rounds?

Default Re: So can we trust Gen4 Glock 9mms yet?

Quote Originally Posted by medsteele View Post
    Been trying to get an answer from the internet for a while now, and can't seem to find one. Most of the topics regarding fixes or problems are well over a year old, and I can't seem to find anything newer.

I'm in the market for a G17. Unfortunately, the new Gen3s are also experiencing problematic extractors (apparently it wasn't just faulty recoil spring assemblies). Or maybe they're not anymore, like I said I can't find anything that's recent and conclusive. One thing that worries me is all the trouble Todd G had with his G4 G17 at the beginning of his current "torture test" series. The gun he's using seems to be running better now, but he's done all sorts of mods I don't plan on doing (three different extractors and multiple trigger jobs).

Anybody shooting a newer G17 with a sizeable amount of trouble-free rounds?
    Yes and no.

Check out Todd's website more, specifically his forum. People are reporting that new extractors are being handed out, but some new guns are still shipping with the problem ones. The general consensus on P-F is to buy an older Gen 3 for the time being.
    Last edited by TGS; February 16th, 2012 at 12:39 AM.

(Lehigh County)

I know they are shipping them again, ive seen them in my lgs and asked him and he said they started sending them to him again.

I bought a G17, Gen 4 last Fall. Serial# RXL6-- makes it born about 07/2011. It came with the 336 extractor & 0-4-2 recoil spring. IRRC, that's the combination that's been causing problems. After over 1000 rounds, I haven't had one single FTF or FTE with any of my 124 gr XTP reloads. I have had a few, (Maybe 3-5 out of every 100 rounds), spent shells eject over my right shoulder, but most go to my 4 O'Clock about 5 feet away.

I've decided mine's GTG for carry.
    "It's hard to imagine a more stupid or more dangerous way of making decisions than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
    Thomas Sowell

(Luzerne County)

oh, so the shell's aren't suppose to fly over your head? I bought my gen 4 a few months ago, my first hand gun.