Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: Transporting...

(Allegheny County)

Default Transporting...

Ok, I have lurked for a few days, and I have a few questions that I didn't see anywhere else. I searched and didn't find anything useful.

First question, I just bought my first gun a few weeks ago, and when I bought it the shop owner said without a permit, I have to keep the gun, and the loaded clip separated while in a car. Which leads me to my first question. How do you transport your firearm if you don't have a permit and want to OC? I have my paperwork in for a permit, and am waiting for the approval. Can I have the unloaded gun in the glove box, and the clip in the center console? Is that far enough apart?

Second question, once I receive my permit, can I get in trouble if I am wearing my firearm on my hip in a holster, and my shirt rides up and some of the holster shows? If I can get in trouble, what kind of trouble can I get in? I have a Glock 23 with the Blackhawk serpa holster, so the gun doesn't show, only the holster.

(Dauphin County)

Default Re: Transporting...

Quote Originally Posted by Dubleuteef2 View Post
    Ok, I have lurked for a few days, and I have a few questions that I didn't see anywhere else. I searched and didn't find anything useful.

First question, I just bought my first gun a few weeks ago, and when I bought it the shop owner said without a permit, I have to keep the gun, and the loaded clip separated while in a car. Which leads me to my first question. How do you transport your firearm if you don't have a permit and want to OC? I have my paperwork in for a permit, and am waiting for the approval. Can I have the unloaded gun in the glove box, and the clip in the center console? Is that far enough apart?
    Pennsylvania law is weird in that it's perfectly legal to OC in most of the state most of the time (there are some exceptions), but in most cases you can't legally travel by vehicle to the place you want to OC unless you hold a LTCF. Without a license to carry firearms (or meeting another exception like being a police officer) you may only transport a firearm by vehicle if you are
    going to or from [the] place of assembly [for target practice] or target practice [the place itself] and if, while going to or from [the] place of assembly or target practice, the firearm is not loaded
    or
    carrying a firearm which is not loaded and is in a secure wrapper from the place of purchase to his home or place of business, or to a place of repair, sale or appraisal or back to his home or place of business, or in moving from one place of abode or business to another or from his home to a vacation or recreational home or dwelling or back, or to recover stolen property ... or to a place of instruction intended to teach the safe handling, use or maintenance of firearms or back or to a location to which the person has been directed to relinquish firearms ... or back upon return of the relinquished firearm or to a licensed dealer's place of business for relinquishment pursuant to 23 Pa.C.S § 6108.2 ... or back upon return of the relinquished firearm or to a location for safekeeping ... or back upon return of the relinquished firearm.
    or
    if ... actually hunting
    or
    if ... actually training dogs
    or
    [have a LTCF which is less than six months expired and are eligible for renewal]
    or
    [eligible and operating spouse's vehicle which contains a firearm and spouse is licensed]
    or
    [interstate transport as specifically defined]
    or
    [have a reciprocal-state license]

Second question, once I receive my permit, can I get in trouble if I am wearing my firearm on my hip in a holster, and my shirt rides up and some of the holster shows? If I can get in trouble, what kind of trouble can I get in? I have a Glock 23 with the Blackhawk serpa holster, so the gun doesn't show, only the holster.
    Typically you would be committing no crime if your shirt rode up as you describe. OC is legal in most of the state, and with a LTCF OC is generally legal wherever CC is legal. There's no law which says you can't be somewhere in between OC and CC as long as both are legal for you to do. (There's some discussion about whether or not, as the law now stands due to a recent change, OC is legal in state parks. For now you might want to be extra careful to keep concealed there once you have your LTCF.)

Oh, and you'll want to read this: http://forum.pafoa.org/concealed-ope...nsylvania.html

LATE EDIT just for completeness. I was reminded elsewhere that PA allows firearm transport by vehicle with any state's license/permit, not just reciprocal states as I had said above. It's any CC, or OC in otherwise prohibited situations (e.g. in Philly or during a state of emergency) which requires a reciprocal license. Also, see the comment about schools below.
    Last edited by twency; February 16th, 2012 at 09:59 PM.
    I am not a lawyer. Nothing I say or write is legal advice.

(Allegheny County)

So really what you're saying is I can OC, but without a permit, I'd have to walk everywhere. LoL Sounds logical to me. LOL

Thank you for the clarification with everything. Oh and I have been all over that thread you linked. That was the very first place I spent a good amount of time at.

(Allegheny County)

So really what you're saying is I can OC, but without a permit, I'd have to walk everywhere. LoL Sounds logical to me. LOL

Thank you for the clarification with everything. Oh and I have been all over that thread you linked. That was the very first place I spent a good amount of time at.
    Exactly. Get comfy shoes, or wait until your license arrives.

And I'll politely point out that you will want to refer to the LTCF as such, and not as a "permit" - at least on this forum.

And if I ever hear you say "clip" again, I'll have to ban you, and...

OK, just kidding, but yeah, it's not a clip, it's a magazine.

Welcome to the forum! Good luck with everything and be safe!
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Allegheny County)

You know what, I knew everything you just said, and I still used the horrible/wrong terminology. Bad habits I guess. *facepalm*

(Dauphin County)

Quote Originally Posted by donotknowme View Post
    Also, if you are walking everywhere be sure you don't within 1000' of any school without a LTCF.
    Hmm, yeah, I forgot that fun little caveat.

Gun-Free School Zones Act of 1990
    So really what you're saying is I can OC, but without a permit, I'd have to walk everywhere.
    Pretty much. Goofy, I know.
    I am not a lawyer. Nothing I say or write is legal advice.