Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

View Poll Results: Is the XD45 Tactical w/safety an adequate substitute for the 1911 platform?

Voters
33. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

16 48.48%
  • No

15 45.45%
  • There are other options which are better...

2 6.06%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Berks County)

Default XD45 Tactical w/safety a 1911 replacement?

There's a lot of Tupperware out there that performs very well, and make excellent shooters and carry pistols. However, many people, even those who don't carry 1911s, still see the 1911 as the premier, most reliable handgun platform.

With Springfield's introduction of a thumb safety to the XD line, they now have a non-1911 pistol which has:

- Ambi thumb safety
    - Grip safety
    - Grip angle almost identical to the 1911
    - 5" barrel (on the Tactical Model)
    - Chambered in .45ACP

With the exception of the firing mechanism (hammer vs striker), the XD matches the 1911 mechanical specs. So I pose to everyone, especially the 1911 fans, this question:

Do you see the Springfield XD45 Tactical (5" barrel) as an adequate replacement or substitute for the 1911 platform?
    Last edited by ChamberedRound; February 6th, 2008 at 12:27 PM. Reason: Updated to clarify .45ACP
    "Political Correctness is just tyranny with manners"
    -Charlton Heston

"[The Constitution preserves] the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation...(where) the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms."
    -James Madison, Federalist Papers, No. 46.

"America does not go abroad in search of monsters to destroy." [sic]
    -John Quincy Adams

"I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies."
    -Thomas Jefferson

Μολών λαβέ!
    -King Leonidas

(Erie County)

Default Re: XD Tactical w/safety a 1911 replacement?

Your neglecting magazine capacity and the slimmer frame of a 1911. It's still comparing apples and oranges.

They are two completely different gun designs, that share some features.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by DeltaII5 View Post
    Your neglecting magazine capacity and the slimmer frame of a 1911. It's still comparing apples and oranges.

They are two completely different gun designs, that share some features.
    They are 2 different guns, that's the whole point of the poll. I'm curious if, with the XD's feature list, one would choose the XD over the 1911.

I agree on the magazine capacity difference. However, while the frame of a 1911 itself may be slimmer, the grip width (usually the widest part of a handgun) of the XD45 is approx the same as a 1911 when you include the width of a 1911's grips in the measurement.
    -Charlton Heston

"[The Constitution preserves] the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation...(where) the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms."

-John Quincy Adams

"I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies."
    -Thomas Jefferson

Μολών λαβέ!
    -King Leonidas

(Franklin County)

I don't think the large attraction of the 1911 is due to it's reliability (which can be spotty with certain brands) or presence of safeties. The 1911 has the potential for insane accuracy, a rich history behind it and near infinite customization possibilities. The fact that it is both solid and substantial and also one hell of a classy, beautiful gun certainly doesn't hurt either. It is those combined attributes that make the 1911 more than just a tool to many people, and thus the popular platform that it is today. If you ask me it's the same kind of affection that a gearhead has for his old muscle car.

While I think it's safe to say that most tactical tupperware is usually more functional when it comes to things like ammo capacity, maintenance, durability, etc, when you continue to compare the unique attributes of the 1911 to the functional aspects of the XD, then I think it's safe to say that the introduction of a manual safety on the XD doesn't amount to a hill of beans and won't exactly have droves of people selling their 1911s anytime soon.

No doubt there will be at least a handful of people who will be pleased with the introduction of a manual safety because they simply can't trust the safety between their ears.
    Last edited by Cheeseybacon; February 6th, 2008 at 12:47 PM.

(Erie County)

Quote Originally Posted by ChamberedRound View Post
    They are 2 different guns, that's the whole point of the poll. I'm curious if, with the XD's feature list, one would choose the XD over the 1911.

I agree on the magazine capacity difference. However, while the frame of a 1911 itself may be slimmer, the grip width (usually the widest part of a handgun) of the XD45 is approx the same as a 1911 when you include the width of a 1911's grips in the measurement.
    Gotcha,

Didn't know the width was the same as I don't own a 1911.

I thought you meant this to be like a "XD is a replacement for a Glock" thread. Same designs, in a sense.

Default Re: XD45 Tactical w/safety a 1911 replacement?

I think in military terms it will come down to reliability, serviceability and accuracy.

I was watching a shot on the history channel where they started to replace 1911's with m1 carbines in certain cases because the people who were carrying them couldnt hit the broad side of an enemy.

I think this was part of the push to the m9...and now certain people cant aim with it either so theyre getting m4's.

I think it will ultimately be a level playing field when it comes down to the pistol.

They'll pretty much always do their part, it's the operator who has to do theirs which is normally the problem.

(Bucks County)

I have an XD9SC and a Springfield 1911 Trophy Match. I am considering selling the 1911 and buying the XD45. I want to shoot it first, and decide between the compact 4/5" or the full-size. Does anyone have any info as to the main differences between the two, besides magazine capacity without the extension?

I'm also sort of a sucker for the dark earth frame. Would be an interesting addition to my OD green/black subcompact.

Chris

(Northampton County)

The 1911 is the only bottom feeder that I ever used. I don't know anything about what else is out there and for some reason don't even want to know.

(Berks County)

Didn't know the width was the same as I don't own a 1911.
    I don't own one either, but much of the documentation I've read online, from Springfield as well as independent reviewers, claim that the grip width is pretty close.

I thought you meant this to be like a "XD is a replacement for a Glock" thread. Same designs, in a sense.
    God no, I don't intend this to be a "which is better" thread, as they almost always turn into an argument. I'm curious if:

- 1911 owners would see the XD45 Tactical as an alternative to the 1911
    - non-1911 owners would be swayed from a 1911 purchase by the XD's similarities
    - if anyone thinks the XD is not an alternative, but they believe another handgun that has similar specs would be.
    -Charlton Heston

-John Quincy Adams

-Thomas Jefferson

Μολών λαβέ!
    -King Leonidas

(Chester County)

I like the 1911 not because it's the "best" handgun for self-defense out there -- it ain't even close.

The 1911 is overweight, oversize, and low capacity compared to modern handguns. And if you want it to shoot to its full accuracy potential (1.5" at 50 yards) you're either going to sacrifice reliability or a ton of cash.

I, personally, like like and carry my Nighthawks because they feel good in my hand, are accurate beyond belief, and are pretty to look at and play with, and because 9 rounds plus a reload will likely take care of whatever I need to deal with -- not because they're the "ultimate" CCW fighting platform.

I'm willing to trade high capacity (which I don't need) and light weight (which I can deal with) for what I get in my Nighthawk, the experience of carrying "[a]n elegant weapon for a more civilized age."

Plus it looks cool as shit.

I guess my point is that I don't see the 1911 as the ultimate, and I don't see the XD as a substitute because it isn't the ultimate, and it's not what I'm looking for, anyway.

I think a good number of folks feel the same way. I've never met anyone who was a die hard 1911 fan who didn't, when confronted with the facts, fall back on a "well, even so, I like it, so it's what I carry." I don't think those people are willing to trade the 1911 experience for the XD experience, even if the XD is probably the better gun for carry and self defense use at reasonable ranges.

It's kind of funny -- I admit that it's not the "best" gun, yet I carry it over better carry guns. It's a lot like the Harley Davidson argument. They're not even close to the ultimate bike, they're overweight, underpowered, and overpriced, but people buy them in droves, simply because of the experience. While I'd rather have the ultimate bike (my Honda ST1300), I admit to preferring an inferior gun.
    Last edited by Rule10b5; February 6th, 2008 at 12:57 PM.
    The material presented herein is for informational purposes only, is not guaranteed to be correct, complete, or up to date, does not constitute legal advice and does not establish an attorney-client relationship. You should NOT act or rely on any information in this post or e-mail without seeking the advice of an attorney YOU have retained.

In plain English, while I am an attorney, I'm NOT your attorney, and I'm NOT giving you legal advice.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast