Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    (Mercer County)

Default Re: Tresspassing While Carrying

I'm a photographer also, and I never leave without my handgun, whether its my glock 19 or walther p22. I always have something on me. As far as private property goes. I've only been asked to leave a couple of times and never once had police involved because I left on free will and didn't get into a debate. I knew I wasn't allowed there so I left.

Be smart while carrying and always been aware of your surroundings. Say your kneeling down trying to get a better angle and someone comes up behind you without knowing. They might be able to make out your sidearm and call the police because now they feel your a threat.

The worst place I've been was up in Pittsburgh near the West End overlook after a Pirates game, so it was around 1130 or so and its in a pretty rough part of town. Carrying "something" is a must when your taking photos. Especially since, well at me. I have A LOT of money wrapped up into this and no one is just going to walk up to me and take it from me.

Be smart and use your noodle and you won't have any issues.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by ScarMack View Post
    I'm a photographer also, and I never leave without my handgun, whether its my glock 19 or walther p22. I always have something on me. As far as private property goes. I've only been asked to leave a couple of times and never once had police involved because I left on free will and didn't get into a debate. I knew I wasn't allowed there so I left.

Be smart while carrying and always been aware of your surroundings. Say your kneeling down trying to get a better angle and someone comes up behind you without knowing. They might be able to make out your sidearm and call the police because now they feel your a threat.

The worst place I've been was up in Pittsburgh near the West End overlook after a Pirates game, so it was around 1130 or so and its in a pretty rough part of town. Carrying "something" is a must when your taking photos. Especially since, well at me. I have A LOT of money wrapped up into this and no one is just going to walk up to me and take it from me.

Be smart and use your noodle and you won't have any issues.
    Could not have said it better myself. Not only do I want to protect myself, but also camera equipment is not cheap. Though I have a personal rule that I do not go to secluded places with less then three people(dudes). So hopefully when I'm leaning down to take a shot they will be keeping an eye out for my back.

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by PennsyPlinker View Post
    I am going to respect your wishes and not lecture you with my thoughts on trespassing, but I do have to say, if you have to defend yourself against anyone for any reason while trespassing, you are going to have a very steep uphill climb in order to justify yourself in court.
    Hmm...armed with a weapon, no authority to be there, where have I heard this one before...

(Mercer County)

(Wyoming County)

One of the crimes on a rampant increase is stealing copper from abandoned buildings...CYA.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by GRfoto View Post
    Could not have said it better myself. Not only do I want to protect myself, but also camera equipment is not cheap. Though I have a personal rule that I do not go to secluded places with less then three people(dudes). So hopefully when I'm leaning down to take a shot they will be keeping an eye out for my back.
    I don't think I have to say this but I will anyway. A reasonable belief that your equipment might be stolen is not a justification to use deadly force.

There are four scenarios that you reasonably believe will happen unless you employ deadly force to stop are:

death
    serious bodily injury
    rape
    kidnapping

Anything else and you better have an alternative to pulling the trigger.

(Mercer County)

Quote Originally Posted by QuackXP View Post
    I don't think I have to say this but I will anyway. A reasonable belief that your equipment might be stolen is not a justification to use deadly force.

There are four scenarios that you reasonably believe will happen unless you employ deadly force to stop are:

death
    serious bodily injury
    rape
    kidnapping

"Give me your camera or I'll stab you!"

Next?

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by QuackXP View Post

death
    serious bodily injury
    rape
    kidnapping

correct, though carrying thousands of dollars worth of equipment on your back may increase a person's incentive to cause you harm. hopefully not the rape part but you never know

(Montgomery County)

Next?
    They better have a knife while making that threat unless they are prepared to be pepper sprayed.
    Last edited by GRfoto; February 15th, 2012 at 05:57 PM. Reason: typo

(Allegheny County)

Next?
    Quote Originally Posted by GRfoto View Post
    They better have a knife while making that threat unless th7ey are prepared to be pepper sprayed.
    Displaying a knife and threating to use it if you dont give up your stuff is enough. You have no clue weather they plan on stabbing you anyway afterward.

What I was getting at is if someone sneaks up on your or takes something you set down and then runs, you can't use deadly force to just stop them from getting away.

The solution to this is good situational awareness and don't leave anything laying around. But I was making a point about the justification of deadly force.
    Last edited by QuackXP; February 15th, 2012 at 05:56 PM.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast