Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default Practical accuracy vs. Bulls eye accuracy....

Pracitcal accuracy vs. Bulls eye accuracy which is the most important? I know Bulls eye is harder to get on paper. But in the real world sense which is most important? Small groups slowly or med size groups faster.

I personally practice pracitcal accuracy, I am more impressed with fast fist size groups then slow dime size groups. Be nice to do both but consitant dime size groups are harder to do I find it frustrating and boring to me.

Fast fist size groups on mulitple targets are fun and more impressive to me. I also see a real purpose for this in every day life. Maybe why I lean toward certain handguns.

Which has the most value to YOU?
    Last edited by Neko456; February 15th, 2012 at 02:50 PM.

Default Re: Pracitcal accuracy vs. Bulls eye accuracy....

Quote Originally Posted by Neko456 View Post
    Pracitcal accuracy vs. Bulls eye accuracy which is the most important? I know Bulls eye is harder to get on paper. But in the real world sense which is most important? Small groups slowly or med size groups faster.

I personally practice pracitcal accuracy, I am more impressed with fast fist size groups then slow dime size groups. Be nice to do both but consitant dime size groups are harder to do and are boring to me.

Fast fist size groups on mulitple targets are fun and more impressive to me. I also see a real purpose for this in every day life. Maybe why I lean toward certain handguns.

Which has the most value to YOU?
    Both.

Neither by itself is the answer.

My range sessions will incorporate weak hand only, strong hand only, and both hands in drills that emphasize slow, accuracy centric focus on low probability targets, drills that don't such as the Bill Drill and VTAC 1-5, as well as drills that change gears mid drill from low probability to higher probability/speed centric or vice versa.

(Bedford County)

I'm like you I do both but I enjoy practical more

(Bucks County)

I practice both. Most of my range time is spend shooting for accuracy, but I tend to concentrate more on slow, relaxed fire without too much emphasis on every aspect of my shooting (breathing, stance etc). I guess I am just trying to naturally shoot well.

I do make sure that I fire at least a mag or two from drawing, taking off the safety and firing rapid bursts.

(Lawrence County)

Both have something to teach.

I think it's easier to start with slow fire accuracy and then incorporate movement and speed after you have the basics of accuracy down.....otherwise, if your practical accuracy is bad, you cannot attribute what is making it that way (is it the movement? the transitions? recovery from the reload or draw? is it shooting faster that you can see?).

Lycaneasierthrope

I taught Chuck Norris to bump-fire.

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Practical accuracy vs. Bulls eye accuracy....

There is no need to hit with one inch of where you are aiming in a defensive situation. However, being off by one inch at 5 feet away might result in a complete miss if that same shot was taken at 20 yards away. That's why your group sizes at close distances are important; they have a direct correlation with your ability to hit targets at long distances.

If I'm at the range shooting at 7 yards, and get all my shots within a 4 inch circle, I don't just say, "that's good enough. Those are all good hits." Instead I say, "Let's get those groups tighter, so I can increase my effective range."

(Chester County)

aim small, miss small

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Lycanthrope View Post
    Both have something to teach.

I think it's easier to start with slow fire accuracy and then incorporate movement and speed after you have the basics of accuracy down.....otherwise, if your practical accuracy is bad, you cannot attribute what is making it that way (is it the movement? the transitions? recovery from the reload or draw? is it shooting faster that you can see?).

Lycaneasierthrope
    Yep. Only way to perfect trigger squeeze. If a beginner tries to start fast, they will rarely get better. Perfect sight picture and trigger control and speed will come on its own.
    Its easier to fool people than to convince them they've been fooled....Mark Twain

(Montgomery County)

Speed and accuracy go hand-in-hand. When I'm trying to punch small holes, I take my time to work on sight picture and trigger control. After doing a nice warm-up, I then use my timer with a par set to 4 seconds to see how many accurate shots inside a 6" target. If I get 5 accurate shots within 4 seconds, I then step it up to 6 and so forth. Once I start going outside the acceptable target, I know what my limit is and I work to increase that limit. You can also decrease your par time to 2 seconds for more challenge. I hope that makes sense. The whole goal of my exercise is to increase my stress, maintain accuracy, and know what my limit is.

(Westmoreland County)

I use bullseye to work out the small things and improve my practical accuracy. As I get better at slow fire target shooting my practical accuracy improves. My practical accuracy is what I count on for defensive situations. So I guess what I’m saying is maybe they aren’t competitors but rather two sides to the same coin. One helps you get the other. I do think that unless your interest in guns revolves around sport shooting (bullseye in particular) the end goal is practical accuracy.

One of the things that I practice are slow-fire five shot groups off-hand at 3 yards, 5 yards, 7 yards, etc. To go to the next yardage all holes must be touching (I use index cards with a 1” X mark in the center for this). Doing these slow-fire controlled groups has really improved my practical accuracy which is my goal in doing it. I don’t have a lot of interest in one ragged hole at 25 yards unless it has defensive benefits (which it does). Maybe someday bullseye will be an interest. Right now, it’s a means to and end for me.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast