Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Bucks County)

Default Can you send a machine gun to a regular FFL for gunsmithing services?

Well, can you?

(Jefferson County)

Default Re: Can you send a machine gun to a regular FFL for gunsmithing services?

Yes.

http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/guns...ve-nfa-firearm

Q: May a licensed gunsmith receive an NFA firearm for purposes of repair?

Yes, for the sole purpose of repair and subsequent return to its owner. It is suggested that the owner obtain permission from ATF for the transfer by completing and mailing ATF Form 5 (5320.5) to the NFA Branch and receive approval prior to the delivery. The gunsmith should do the same prior to returning the firearm.

Only the face of the form needs to be completed in each instance. ATF Forms 5 may be obtained from the Bureau of ATF, NFA Branch. ATF Form 5 is also available on the internet at www.atf.gov
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Can you send a machine gun to a regular FFL for gunsmithing services?

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    Thanks. Another question...If I'm waiting on a machine gun on a Form 4 with a class III dealer in PA, is there any reason why it would be a bad idea to have that class III dealer send my machine gun to a refinisher to get refinished while I'm waiting for the form to clear?

ETA: Would refinishing be considered a "repair?"

(Jefferson County)

um.. I donno. Hopefully someone smarter can answer that one.

I dont imagine it would be a legal problem so long as the present possessing FFL does the proper paperwork. But, I really don't know.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by bac0nfat View Post
    Thanks. Another question...If I'm waiting on a machine gun on a Form 4 with a class III dealer in PA, is there any reason why it would be a bad idea to have that class III dealer send my machine gun to a refinisher to get refinished while I'm waiting for the form to clear?

ETA: Would refinishing be considered a "repair?"

It's not a problem to do so.
    The form 5 is just a temporary transfer notice. Not a permanant transfer.
    Send in your form 4, have the selling SOT send it off in the mean time for refinishing.
    Hopefully, it'll be back before the form 4 clears (and if it's not, no biggie).
    Wouldn't you like to know what's in my safe.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Gun Bowanna View Post
    It's not a problem to do so.
    The form 5 is just a temporary transfer notice. Not a permanant transfer.
    Send in your form 4, have the selling SOT send it off in the mean time for refinishing.
    Hopefully, it'll be back before the form 4 clears (and if it's not, no biggie).
    If I send in a form 5, does that need to be approved before the firearm can be shipped to the refinisher?

I'm starting to think I should just wait it out, and not bother with the hassle. No need to bog everyone down with paperwork.

(Armstrong County)

I personally would wait until the dealer has the transfer approved to them. Then im sure if you ask real nice they could send it where ever you wanted to get it refinished while you wait for your Form 4 to clear to you
    HGW, llc ~ Title 1 & NFA sales/manufacturing ~ Transfers - Title 1 $20 - NFA $50

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Nate7667 View Post
    I personally would wait until the dealer has the transfer approved to them. Then im sure if you ask real nice they could send it where ever you wanted to get it refinished while you wait for your Form 4 to clear to you
    Sounds good to me. Hopefully the dealer doesn't get too annoyed by that request.