Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Blair County)

Default Relation between gas tube length and buffer tube length?

Does it matter? If I get a carbine length or mid length gas system on my barrel can I use a full sized rifle buffer tube asm?

Default Re: Relation between gas tube length and buffer tube length?

Can't say for certain about AR-15s (that is what we're talking about?), but with M16s all the ones I played with weren't affected by barrel & stock configuration. A short barrel (as in 10") would run fine with a full length stock, or a properly configured collapsing stock.

The reason for the different size buffer assemblies was (in the Viet Nam era, anyway) was to accommodate the shorter buffer tube in the collapsing stock. The buffer core was also smaller, and the spring was different from the full length application.

I recall the short spring could be a pain to find. Taking a regular spring and nipping a few coils off at a time would work ok in semi but could cause issues in full auto.
    Gloria: "65 percent of the people murdered in the last 10 years were killed by hand guns"
    Archie Bunker: "would it make you feel better, little girl, if they was pushed outta windows?"

http://www.moviewavs.com/TV_Shows/Al...he_Family.html

(York County)

Default Re: Relation between gas tube length and buffer tube length?

Yes you can run a rifle length buffer tube and buffer on a carbine. you can also run a carbine length buffer tube and buffer. You just have to make sure you are running the right buffer in the right tube. the rifle does not care which setup you are running