Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Westmoreland County)

Default In between 2 guns for USPSA limited. Which one?

I am having a hard time figuring out which would be a better option. And most cost effective.

I am looking at M&P Pro .40 Cal and the XDM 5.25 .40 cal.
    I want to put magwells on them, and trigger jobs to benefit shooting limited division.

I currently shoot a 1911 .45. And am tired of reloading all the time.
    Of course this is all on a thin budget.
    So which one would be a better buy/more competitive?

Default Re: In between 2 guns for USPSA limited. Which one?

Quote Originally Posted by jayo84 View Post
    I am having a hard time figuring out which would be a better option. And most cost effective.

I am looking at M&P Pro .40 Cal and the XDM 5.25 .40 cal.
    I want to put magwells on them, and trigger jobs to benefit shooting limited division.

I currently shoot a 1911 .45. And am tired of reloading all the time.
    Of course this is all on a thin budget.
    So which one would be a better buy/more competitive?
    I have a couple friends that shoot M&P Pro's in production , limited and Open. I think its a toss up in accuracy but if you like the grip angle of the 1911 you will like the M&P plus there is a lot more aftermarket support for the M&P. Or be like me and just get a 2011 and never look back
    Tantric Shooting Team

I think the M&P is a lot nicer gun. I'm not impressed with the XD at all. I see them eat shit more than almost any other gun at IDPA (except for 1911's). They aren't bad, just not as good as other brands from what I've witnessed.
    Any vote for a third party is a vote for a Democrat. You are the enemy.

(Monroe County)

USP .40 with a jet funnel kit?

Quote Originally Posted by Yoder View Post
    I think the M&P is a lot nicer gun. I'm not impressed with the XD at all. I see them eat shit more than almost any other gun at IDPA (except for 1911's). They aren't bad, just not as good as other brands from what I've witnessed.
    hey, whats with the 1911 comment Think of a 1911 like a race car you can tune it past the point of reliability.
    Tantric Shooting Team

(Montgomery County)

LoL, friend RO'ed a bigger IDPA match and said he had quite a few glocks have issues.. He said he really enjoyed getting to make fun of them, since it is normally the glock guys trash talking the 1911's when they have issues..

Like said.. You can take a reliable gun and make it have issues..

I've heard issues on the XDM's at matches. It is really hard to tell if that really represents the guns, or the mods/things people are doing to them for competition. That new XDM that you are talking about, really looks nice on paper. And I've seen one in person and it was nice and it ran fine at that match. The guy had picked it up the day before at a show..
    The problem with shooting Chinese bullets is 15 minutes later you wanna shoot again.

Quote Originally Posted by Pkspawn View Post
    LoL, friend RO'ed a bigger IDPA match and said he had quite a few glocks have issues.. He said he really enjoyed getting to make fun of them, since it is normally the glock guys trash talking the 1911's when they have issues..

Like said.. You can take a reliable gun and make it have issues..

I've heard issues on the XDM's at matches. It is really hard to tell if that really represents the guns, or the mods/things people are doing to them for competition. That new XDM that you are talking about, really looks nice on paper. And I've seen one in person and it was nice and it ran fine at that match. The guy had picked it up the day before at a show..
    When packing up my Glock 35 for the range yesterday, I noticed the trigger wasn't resetting. Suspecting a broken trigger spring, I detail stripped it and noticed that's exactly what had happened. In defense of the Glock, it does have about 8k rounds through it on that spring and a broken trigger spring doesn't really disable the gun. However, being a Glock armorer, I'd say that the trigger spring is definitely the weak link in the gun. If I carried one for defense, I'd be tempted to go with a NY trigger for reliability reasons. But my Glocks are competition only so it's moot.

Quote Originally Posted by Pagoda240 View Post
    hey, whats with the 1911 comment Think of a 1911 like a race car you can tune it past the point of reliability.
    I'm not trying to bash them, I see what I see. I guess people do screw with them too much causing problems but even the one I own has failed more than my other guns. I have a Springfield Loaded model that I love, but I probably had at least 20 failures since I bought the gun. None in about the last 2k rounds though. I guess it's broken in. G17 has about 15k rounds with zero fails. My HK USP compact .40 cal zero fails in 1500 rounds. 1911 about 20 in 3k rounds.
    Any vote for a third party is a vote for a Democrat. You are the enemy.

Ok, I'll chime in and not mention GLock at all. Like you, OP, I'm a 1911 shooter. I'm getting tired of standing reloads, but don't have the money yet for a 2011. That is what I will be building to shoot limited next year (watch out, Pagoda :P )

I picked up an M&P pro in 9mm for my steel and 3 gun needs. The grip angle is the same as the 1911, the grip feels about as wide as my les baer, it points the same for me, and has the same sight radius. I have owned XDs, and XDMs but I really don't care for the triggers or grip feel.

It's really a personal thing. Whichever feels better in your hand and points more naturally, go for it. If you ever make it to a match I attend, you are welcome to send some rounds down the pipe of my pro and see how you like it.

Either way you go with it, there are enough after market parts to upgrade. I have a trigger tune in mine, apex something I forget which, and once I add the magwell I will be all set.

We see all makes and models of guns fail in competition, mostly because guys push them hard, load their own ammo, play with springs and run them dirty. I've also thrown my game guns into buckets, slammed them into barricades, and run them at almost full auto speed, in short bursts. Of course we're going to see stuff fail!

I've never had an unmolested M&P or XD have a problem with factory ammo. Same for my walther p99, at 15k rounds and nothing broken. start putting 2-3k through a gun in a month and mess with it, then see what happens.

Good luck in your search!