• 92A1

24 53.33%
  • 96A1

6 13.33%
  • Neither .. there are better choices for the money

15 33.33%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Lebanon County)

Default Decided on a Beretta, but which one ?

I am really liking the 92A1/96A1.
    Now the question, 9mm or .40 ?
    I already have a HP .40 .. so stick w the same caliber or jump on w all the other 9mm peeps ?
    /bug

Default Re: Decided on a Beretta, but which one ?

If you're going between the 92A1 and 96, I would go for the 92....primarily because I prefer 9mm over .40.

Also be aware that the 96 does not hold up to high round counts. Their service life, as stated by Beretta, is only 10,000 rounds. They routinely develop stress cracks before that number if you run them hard. If you don't shoot a lot and like them, and have to have a .40, then have at it. I would still be cautious of a police trade-in 96....most police officers only fire enough rounds to qualify, so 10,000 rounds is a long time in that regard. Some cops shoot more than others, though, and you won't be able to tell if the weapon is good or not without a gunsmith checking it out with dye tests or the like.

I love 92's. Consider getting a D (DAO model) or G (DA/SA w/decocker) instead of the FS (DA/SA with safety/decocker combo), unless of course you're really jonesing for that light rail on the A1 (which only comes in the FS configuration).

Quote Originally Posted by Todd L Green on on his website
    10,000 was what we told customers back when I worked there [Beretta]. A significant percentage of 96Ds had frame cracks by that point.
    [Beretta] clarification added by me.

Quote Originally Posted by Todd L Green on his website
    I have no experience running the red buffers in a .40-cal Beretta, but used them at times in my 9mm guns but could not guess whether they actually did anything to improve service life.

They were also used in my custom modified 96G Elite in 357 SIG, where they got eaten up very fast. I stopped shooting that gun when I got hired at Beretta and the head quality control guy performed a dye penetrant test on the frame. He found multiple cracks and suggested I not fire the gun again. It had somewhere between four and five thousand rounds through it at the time.
    Here's that thread if you want some good info:
    Pistol-Forum.com: Beretta 96D
    Last edited by TGS; February 14th, 2012 at 08:25 PM.

I like and have both 92 = 15-17 rounds 96 =11-13 rounds, I give 40 the edge personally but 15-17 high performance 9mm rounds ain't bad.

Gun durablility wise I haven't had any problem out of any of my 40s but the 92 base was built for the 9mm thats were its pasted so many durability & reliability test. hot 40 cal is HOT!

(Lebanon County)

TGS
    Not really looking into police trade-ins, if I'm getting one I will be purchasing new.
    Followed your link to the pistol forums, interesting reading.
    The "wall" for the 96 is, what seems to me to be, an extraordinarily high round count. 10000 is a lot of rounds down the pipe.

Neko456
    I appreciate your perspective because you own both the 92 and the 96.
    Point noted re: "15-17 high performance 9mm rounds ain't bad". Very true.

As for the poll results, there were almost as many folks picking the 92 as said "neither better choices for the money".
    I am left wondering what they feel would be the better choice ?
    /bug

I think the PX4 Storm in .45 Auto is the best gun Beretta makes right now. I;d go for one of those.
    The M1. Smackin' the bastards since 1932.

Quote Originally Posted by Bugman916 View Post
    TGS
    Not really looking into police trade-ins, if I'm getting one I will be purchasing new.
    The "wall" for the 96 is, what seems to me to be, an extraordinarily high round count. 10000 is a lot of rounds down the pipe.

As for the poll results, there were almost as many folks picking the 92 as said "neither better choices for the money".
    10,000 rounds is not an extraordinarily high round count. It might be a lot for you, and if so then have at it. But consider that an average full time SWAT officer could easily shoot 160,000 rounds or so within a 10 year span. My carry weapon is 2 years old (almost exactly down to the day), and has over 14,000 rounds through it. It's not uncommon to shoot that much if you're into training, and the 10,000 round lifespan is a significant concern. That same guy I linked to has done very well documented endurance tests, so for a comparison consider that his HK P30 9mm went 93,000+ rounds, his Glock 17 is currently at 55,000, his M&P 9 went into the 60,000 range before the slide cracked, his HK45 went a similar amount as the others and is still good to go......Kyle Defoor had a Glock that lasted 205,000 rounds before he retired it. All the sudden that 10,000 round lifespan says something big about the weapon, even if you don't plan on shooting that much

But again, if you don't shoot that much, then that's what matters. Buy something that fits your needs.

As for a better choice, there are lots.....but it also depends on what you plan to use the weapon for.

Do you plan on using it as a concealed carry weapon?

Open carry in the field or around town?

Just plinking?

Home defense?

If you answer those the peanut gallery could probably help out a little more.
    Last edited by TGS; February 15th, 2012 at 09:07 PM. Reason: clarification and spelling

(Northumberland County)

I have no experience with the 96 but I do have expeience with 92's. I would prefer the 92fs over the A1. I prefer to not have rail and not have the curved trigger guard. This is due to finding holsters. I daily carry a G and its a little heavier and much harder to find hoslters, prob similar to a railed 92.

For a carry gun, if I still had my FS, I would make it a decocker only with the same trigger as my G and upgrade the rear sight. But as i already had a G i stuck with it and decided to just go to one beretta.

So, as for every day carry, finding parts/holsters, I'd say go with the 92FS. But its your money and ultimately your choice.

(Jefferson County)

I'd pick the 92. If crap were to hit the fan, you could obtain mags, ammo, and spare parts from military bases or off of dead soldiers.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Lebanon County)

To answer questions .. weapon would be used for HD if needed but not as a primary go to, range time definitely and perhaps at some point a CCW. ( If and when I decide I want to travel to Dauphin Co sheriff's office in Harrisburg ).
    /bug

Quote Originally Posted by Bugman916 View Post
    TGS

Neko456
    I appreciate your perspective because you own both the 92 and the 96.
    Point noted re: "15-17 high performance 9mm rounds ain't bad". Very true.

456 - Better choices? There are a lot of guns out there for nearly the same price of a 92A1. Like the Glock 17/19 or 23 or the Fn 9,40 or XDm 9mm or 40 or S&W M&P 9 or 40 most are striker fire and polymer. The Beretta has a unique design and can stand on its own. It really depends on what you like and want. I have some Glocks 19,23 & 21sf but i still perfer the 92/96s overall in a tight choose if I had to make one. Both are outstanding guns and a no miss option either would be a good gun. Seems to be a personal choice.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast