Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Northampton County)

Default traffic stop gone bad

i was stopped recently by local police in a small town. it was close to my home. i was actually one house away from my driveway but i stopped when his lights came on so as not to antagonize the officer. he pulled behind me, i assumed he ran the plate, then he approached the window and said, "do you have a firearm in this vehicle?" i said yes. he said, "is it loaded?". i told him, yes. he said, "slowly put both hands on the steering wheel and don't move." he then called for backup. he then asked, "where is the gun?", i said, my front pants pocket. he said, "would it be alright if my partner removed the firearm from your pocket?", i said, sure. he then said, "would you be able to move your right hand slowly from the steering wheel to the gear shift and place the vehicle in park?", i said, sure. he then directed me out of the car and told me to place both hands on the roof of the car. his partner then proceeded to remove my gun from my pocket. he then asked if i had a conceal carry permit. i said i did. he then asked for my license, reg., ins. and cc permit. about 20 min. later, he returned. he asked if his partner could place my firearm sans magazine (there was no round in chamber) in my glove compartment, i said, sure. he then asked if his partner could place the magazine in the back of the car (hatchback), i said, yes. he then came back to the window, told me i was being cited for speeding, 43 in a 25, told me he was using a device called tracker, asked me to sign the citation, told me i had 10 days to respond and if i didn't , a warrant may be issued for my arrest. he also returned all my paperwork to me.
    my question is, how did he know i was carrying. i don't know him, never saw him before. i, of course, am assuming he ran the plate. the plate is issued in my wife's name and my wife owns the car. i will throw one more clue out there. my wife did have a cc permit that expired in april of 2011. this is really far fetched, but i can only assume that on her record on his laptop was a record of her having had a conceal carry permit. he then used that information to harass and humiliate me by assuming there might be a gun in the car. Or, how about this? the computer also gives him info on her husband, i.e., me and it shows that i have a cc permit and he assumed i was her husband.
    needless to say, i am now terrified of the cops in hellertown and i am convinced that that was his intention. i have a reason for carrying but i won't get into that now. cops don't like it when law abiding citizens have guns that level the playing field. ever since 9/11, and the patriot act, and homeland security, every cop in every crumby little town in the united states is brainwashed into thinking that everyone is a suspected terrorist. just for the record, i am not intimidated by this flaunting of the law and i will continue to proudly and legally cc in this town.
    oh, did i mention the town, it was hellertown. if anyone is friends with a policeman, do me a favor and run this scenario past them and see if they can tell you how he knew i was carrying or did he just make an absolutely wild guess? thanks for any responses.

(Lancaster County)

Default Re: traffic stop gone bad

Hmm, curious:

http://forum.pafoa.org/general-2/163...ice-again.html

http://forum.pafoa.org/concealed-car...encounter.html

I wonder if Hellertown police are REALLY improperly using the sales database? Like running people through it at the same time the run plates and such?
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

(Montgomery County)

Ummm..... every single time I ever ever been pulled over, or in a car that was pulled over, the officer has asked if I or anyone else had a firearm or knife.

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowline View Post
    Ummm..... every single time I ever ever been pulled over, or in a car that was pulled over, the officer has asked if I or anyone else had a firearm or knife.
    Only ever happened to me once, and then he just asked where it was, and never asked to take it from me.

When they asked, was it the first thing out of their mouths, like in this case?

(Monroe County)

I would file a complaint. The way I handle it is if they don't ask but if they do then I say " I have a current License To Carry A Firearm" and yes I am carrying. Nobody has ever asked to remove it but if they did I would decline unless they placed me under arrest.

Somebody here should have a link to the update to mpoetc that you could use as reference.

(Lancaster County)

Anyone else notice the new trick?

Put the unloaded firearm in the glovebox, put the magazine in the truck/hatchback.

Free searches for the cops.

Can directives given by command officers to subordinates by gotten via FOIA requests? It would be interesting to know if some memo was circulated relating to this placing the firearm in trunks.

(Lackawanna County)

While I was being arrested years ago by a frikken bicycle cop I overheard the dispatcher on the cops radio state "Be aware both Mr. ***** and Mr. ***** Have a valid License to carry fireamrs" They know. Same as the stateys have a list of all the 4473's. They're the police, who are we to question them.

(Lehigh County)

Im curious now.... what exactly is a "tracker"? Is this something that the locals can use? Sounds like GPS tracking or something.

As for the new method of searching your car... Keep the glove-box locked and say no... same for the trunk. Then we can all start filing suites like Vipers for illegally confiscating our weapons.

Just sayin - sounds like the popo have found a loophole that we need to close.

(Bucks County)

I never thought of the "putting the gun away for you" being a sneaky way to conduct a search.

:-(
    "Stupid people are ruining America." --Herman Cain

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by cakeshooter View Post
    I never thought of the "putting the gun away for you" being a sneaky way to conduct a search.

:-(
    It's actually doing two things. It's so they can conduct a surface search of the area they want to place the firearm. I'm also sure if you refuse, they'll push the matter it'll effectively come down to that if you don't consent to their illegal search, they'll seize your firearm and you'll have to pick it up at the station. But only after paying legal fees to get a lawyer to convince a judge to give it back to you.

It's also depriving you of your right to defend yourself. The assumption is of course, that you're going to drive home with it in the trunk, or that you're going to wait until the officer drives away to retrieve it. What about those moments that you're unarmed along a dark road with your only protection unloaded and locked in a truck?

People have be killed in very short periods of time along side the road.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast