i was stopped recently by local police in a small town. it was close to my home. i was actually one house away from my driveway but i stopped when his lights came on so as not to antagonize the officer. he pulled behind me, i assumed he ran the plate, then he approached the window and said, "do you have a firearm in this vehicle?" i said yes. he said, "is it loaded?". i told him, yes. he said, "slowly put both hands on the steering wheel and don't move." he then called for backup. he then asked, "where is the gun?", i said, my front pants pocket. he said, "would it be alright if my partner removed the firearm from your pocket?", i said, sure. he then said, "would you be able to move your right hand slowly from the steering wheel to the gear shift and place the vehicle in park?", i said, sure. he then directed me out of the car and told me to place both hands on the roof of the car. his partner then proceeded to remove my gun from my pocket. he then asked if i had a conceal carry permit. i said i did. he then asked for my license, reg., ins. and cc permit. about 20 min. later, he returned. he asked if his partner could place my firearm sans magazine (there was no round in chamber) in my glove compartment, i said, sure. he then asked if his partner could place the magazine in the back of the car (hatchback), i said, yes. he then came back to the window, told me i was being cited for speeding, 43 in a 25, told me he was using a device called tracker, asked me to sign the citation, told me i had 10 days to respond and if i didn't , a warrant may be issued for my arrest. he also returned all my paperwork to me.
my question is, how did he know i was carrying. i don't know him, never saw him before. i, of course, am assuming he ran the plate. the plate is issued in my wife's name and my wife owns the car. i will throw one more clue out there. my wife did have a cc permit that expired in april of 2011. this is really far fetched, but i can only assume that on her record on his laptop was a record of her having had a conceal carry permit. he then used that information to harass and humiliate me by assuming there might be a gun in the car. Or, how about this? the computer also gives him info on her husband, i.e., me and it shows that i have a cc permit and he assumed i was her husband.
needless to say, i am now terrified of the cops in hellertown and i am convinced that that was his intention. i have a reason for carrying but i won't get into that now. cops don't like it when law abiding citizens have guns that level the playing field. ever since 9/11, and the patriot act, and homeland security, every cop in every crumby little town in the united states is brainwashed into thinking that everyone is a suspected terrorist. just for the record, i am not intimidated by this flaunting of the law and i will continue to proudly and legally cc in this town.
oh, did i mention the town, it was hellertown. if anyone is friends with a policeman, do me a favor and run this scenario past them and see if they can tell you how he knew i was carrying or did he just make an absolutely wild guess? thanks for any responses.