Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default Re: traffic stop gone bad

Quote Originally Posted by streaker69 View Post
    Only ever happened to me once, and then he just asked where it was, and never asked to take it from me.

When they asked, was it the first thing out of their mouths, like in this case?
    I know at least once it was the first question. I thought it was odd since I was dressed like a country clubber and couldn't have look more harmless, or more dorky. I'm guessing its just part of the "script" each cop has when he/she does a traffic stop. As for the cops taking a weapon, I've never been stopped while carrying a firearm so I can't speak to that.

(Montgomery County)

We've been seeing this trick by the police to gain access to your glove box and trunk. If I had been disarmed and they were returning my property, I would tell them to put everything on the passenger seat since I plan on reloading my firearm as soon as they leave the area.

(Lackawanna County)

I've been stopped perhaps 8 times since ive started carrying. I've never been asked if I have a gun.
    I've also never stopped anyone with one. I have no idea if it comes up. I wouldnt disarm anyone unless I seriously considered them a threat or were wanted. It's safest in the holster.
    I'll ask around, maybe someone else has run into this.
    Millions for defense, Not one cent for tribute!

This makes my blood boil. Don't say anything. Provide them with License and registration and leave it at that. If they ask bout firearms remain silent, its none of their business and it has nothing to do with a traffic violation, nothing to do with officer safety and nothing to do with your LTCF. If they want to reach into your car tell them to get a warrant.
    You know what? How about lets do this, while the police are sitting there in their car running the plates, we put the firearm in the glove box, remove the registration, and lock it. Then they ask you if your armed, No your not. Can they search your car? No not without a warrant.
    Last edited by bigandy1966; February 14th, 2012 at 05:36 PM.
    Derrion Albert was my Hero.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by streaker69 View Post
    People have be killed in very short periods of time along side the road.
    If I'm not mistaken it happened to a college kid 2 or 3 years ago in THAT town.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by bigandy1966 View Post
    This makes my blood boil. Don't say anything. Provide them with License and registration and leave it at that. If they ask bout firearms remain silent, its none of their business and it has nothing to do with a traffic violation, nothing to do with officer safety and nothing to do with your LTCF. If they want to reach into your car tell them to get a warrant.
    You know what? How about lets do this, while the police are sitting there in their car running the plates, we put the firearm in the glove box, remove the registration, and lock it. Then they ask you if your armed, No your not. Can they search your car? No not without a warrant.

Yeah but then if they search it anyway, and find it (force you to unlock it) then you get in trouble for lying....?
    "Stupid people are ruining America." --Herman Cain

(Lackawanna County)

I`ve been pulled over but never asked if I have a weopan or firearm.

This inquiry appears Not to be standard but a discretionary occurence based on the police officers personal opinion of the individual in the moment.

Wouldnt this be profiling and/or discrimination if be the case?

(Mercer County)

I have had my LTCF since 1967 and been carrying 24x7 for more years than I care to remember. I will guess and I have been pulled over by locals, county mounties, and state police maybe a dozen times in the this 40 plus years of driving.

I have never been asked if I was armed won't give them that information if they don't ask.

I can see no reason for them to touch my firearm, as they have ran my license plate before coming to trucks window and at that point they have my name and can run that for wants, warrants, etc. I will come back clean, so the cop by calling backup and taking my firearm for "their protection" is just ignorant & shows they want to "f**k" with me for no reason.

After taking my firearm and giving me the ticket, the firearm will be handed to me unloaded, I will secure the weapon, and they can then hand me my mag and ammo. Under no circumstances would I give permission to open my glove compartment or my trucks back doors without producing a search warrant.

If the firearm is confiscated I would get a receipt for the pistol with the make and serial number listed and would visit the police chief/sheriff/barracks commander the next morning with a COPY of the reciept and ask to have my firearm returned. If it wasn't returned I would wish them a good day and tell them I seen you in court.

It took 7 monthes to get a firearm back from the Beaver Falls PD when it was taken from the "old lady" for BS reason.
    The oracle is in. Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill!!

Quote Originally Posted by cakeshooter View Post
    Yeah but then if they search it anyway, and find it (force you to unlock it) then you get in trouble for lying....?
    Police lie to the people all the time
    Derrion Albert was my Hero.

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by cakeshooter View Post
    Not answering a question that doesn't directly relate to reason for the stop is not a lie.

You always have the right to remain silent.
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast